Sprinter 4x4 Trail Run

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
mhiscox said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Sprinter inline 5-cylinder diesel is a sweetheart of an engine, with "power" all out of proportion to it's 154 hp rating and lots of examples of 300-500K miles before major engine work, and reports of consistent 20-25 mpg fuel economy. The V-6 diesel in the newer, NV3 version is smoother and drives less "trucklike," but appears to be down a couple mpg compared to the five. The V-6 hasn't had major reported problems, but hasn't been around long enough to get the same reputation for reliability.

But it's still not a big 'mericun V-8. One way to help, though, is to splice the adjustable diesel tuning module that The Sprinter Store sells into the engine computer. I (and many others) have done this and found it to be a very useful modification and the biggest advantage shows up on hills and when towing. My Sprinter, at 8500 pounds, is as heavy as a SRW unit can be. On my first, no module, trip across I-80 in Wyoming, the Sprinter took most of the big grades in the low 50s in third gear. After the module, the same grades were upper 50s and fourth gear, more often than not.

So it's not a powerhouse, but it is pretty capable (with the towing capacity never less than 5K and up to 7.5K on some versions) and would likely do the trick if you weren't expecting too much speed. By way of comparison, my Sprinter is considerably quicker than my 7000 pounds of Series 80 Land Cruiser, but not as quick as my 7000 pounds of regeared EarthRoamer Jeep Wrangler.

In any event, my experience is that most all Sprinter owners are very fond of their trucks, so I'd encourage you to look into getting one. It's undoubtedly the easiest van to drive (largely from it's narrowness), has by far the best seating position, and you can stand up in them, which is a huge advantage.
Thanks for the info Mike, I love the sound of these vans, and I agree, being able to stand up in teh thing is a huge advantage. Drop a line the next time you're taking this thing out to the coast range, I'd LOVE to see it in the flesh (I'm a fellow Portlander as well)

Cheers

Dave

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
4Rescue said:
Drop a line the next time you're taking this thing out to the coast range, I'd LOVE to see it in the flesh (I'm a fellow Portlander as well)
Glad to share all the information I have, Dave. There was a lot of interest in our visit to the TSF; I even had a couple of guys on the Mog list say they'd have wanted come out to look things over if I'd let them know.

I doubt they'll be any other trips soon, as I think John is busy trying to do a conversion on the NCV3 model, but we'll keep everyone informed. Good and muddy out there now from the recent rains. It'd be interesting to see if there's a problem with the tight wheel wheels packing up.

Motobueno

December trail run

"A'LL BE BACK":smiley_drive:

I should be back a upscale later this mounth for the diff lock install and some fine tuning on the electrics.No doubt that it will have to be tested after the diff lock goes in!:safari-rig:
I will post details as I know more.
Tom:sombrero:

Motobueno

More Testing Results

Went to Mt Shasta for the holidays.And got lots of fresh snow to test in:p It's really true in this case that a picture is worth..........:victory:

Attachments

• Fresh Snow.jpg
    Fresh Snow.jpg
    890.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Snow Drifting!.jpg
    Snow Drifting!.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 293
  • road open?.jpg
    road open?.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 239

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the pictures, Tom. John had told me you'd done well.

Of course, in retrospect, you really didn't need to go to Mt. Shasta to find some deep snow, did'ya? We had all you needed right here. ;)

Motobueno

Tire Testing and MPG

Pushing taller tires does make a big diff.When I did my conversion I went with TOYO M/T's.The smallest ones that were aval were 245/75. I have the power with the 5 cyl to pull them but the tires are 30.7"dia vs 29.3" stock. And the TOYO's weight more than stock tires. I went from 23mpg (2 wheel drive) down to 17-18mpg with the conversion and the tires. No matter how I drove I could not do better.I have now mounted Stock size Michelin M/S 29.3"dia and my fuel milage has gone to above 20mpg!! My van came with 3.72 gears and I opted to stay with that ratio vs going to a 4.10. Most vans here came with the 3.72's so for testing I stayed with what is more common in this market. I am considering going to the 4.10 ratio, that should do better with taller tires. I must say that the TOYO's work great and I am saving them for off road use. I have found that the van will pull the TOYO's, JUST not efficiently! With the TOYO's I really felt like I was driving a 4x4,They are amazing (to me) off road performers and do run fairly quiet on the road. They make noise ,but to me, it is noise that you have to listen for apposed to trying to block it out. After I switched tires I could feel the tire weight diff. The Michelin's make it feel just like stock but you are 3" higher.It will be interesting to see how the Michelin's do when I get back to the ORV park for more testing.
Tom:sombrero:
P.S. I am in the process of editing some great video from Hollister Hills ORV and will get it posted soon.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Sprinter Off-Road Video

Hey, Sprinter fans, thanks to the magic of The Internets, we've got video evidence of Tom's 4x4 Sprinter doing un-Sprinterlike off-road driving: :Wow1:

http://www.sportsvans.us/videos.html.

The video may not titilate all you hard-core wheelers out there, but as a man with a 2WD Sprinter, I assure you it's a mighty fine performance for a cargo van and it certainly seems to make the Sprinter (which is, to my mind, much nicer to drive and ride in and gets better fuel economy) a worthy competitor for the E-series van conversions as a workable overlander.

If you have questions about the conversion--or want your truck fixed up so you, too, can get out of the mud--I suspect that the most straightforward thing to do is to call the guy who did Tom's truck, John Bendit, at 503/692-0846, or contact him through The Sprinter Store:

http://upscaleauto.com/sprinter_store.htm.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What air pressure were you running and what are the axle weights on the Sprinter in the video?

The Toyo MT seems the perfect off-highway tire for that van.

Hey, Sprinter fans, thanks to the magic of The Internets, we've got video evidence of Tom's 4x4 Sprinter doing un-Sprinterlike off-road driving: :Wow1:

http://www.sportsvans.us/videos.html.

The video may not titilate all you hard-core wheelers out there, but as a man with a 2WD Sprinter, I assure you it's a mighty fine performance for a cargo van and it certainly seems to make the Sprinter (which is, to my mind, much nicer to drive and ride in and gets better fuel economy) a worthy competitor for the E-series van conversions as a workable overlander.

If you have questions about the conversion--or want your truck fixed up so you, too, can get out of the mud--I suspect that the most straightforward thing to do is to call the guy who did Tom's truck, John Bendit, at 503/692-0846, or contact him through The Sprinter Store:

http://upscaleauto.com/sprinter_store.htm.

Motobueno

The tires were running about 40#. I don't know the axle weights.It's a cargo van and I had 300# of sand in the back from my trip to the snow.
The TOYO's are a great tire!:victory: I mean look at the grip on that mud covered concrete slope.They were UNSTOPPABLE in the snow!:Wow1:
But with the size and weight,as I said,I do pay a price on MPG's.:(
:sombrero:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow, 40-psi... in the video it looked like the tires were deflecting a bit occasionally and I thought you had them 'slightly' deflated.

The tires were running about 40#. I don't know the axle weights.It's a cargo van and I had 300# of sand in the back from my trip to the snow.
The TOYO's are a great tire!:victory: I mean look at the grip on that mud covered concrete slope.They were UNSTOPPABLE in the snow!:Wow1:
But with the size and weight,as I said,I do pay a price on MPG's.:(
:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears