Squall Line's Frontier build

Squall Line

Observer
This is partially a copy and paste from club frontier, but I have added the fridge and winch line install. These were completed two weeks back.

Total Chaos upper control arms
Radflo front coilovers; 3"lift and the heavier springs
Sway a way rear resi struts
PRG adjustable shackles
Deaver add a leaf
DIY 2" Body Lift
Procomp MT 285/75/16 / Procomp 7089 in 16x8
Shrock front bumper
Superwinch EP9 winch
Viking delrin rollers and 3/8" winch line
In-cab winch wiring with arming switch for both inside/ outside
Cobra cb with radio shack whip antenna
Notched fenders
Relocated body wiring harness
Engel MR040 fridge

In a few of the pictures, I had the Maxxis Bighorns in 255/85/16 prior to the body lift. Future plans call for building sliders and a rear bumper. A rtt is in the future plan, but the rig dose just fine with ground camping for now.I am considering dropping the body lift, and getting a full replacement leaf pack. I am still undecided on which set of tires I would like to run long term. Aesthetically, I like the procomps, and I have a full set with a spare. The 255s are possibly more economical, but only a marginal difference. I do think they are more in line with overlanding, however (less noise and rubbing in extreme flex). I need to do some back to back tests on fuel economy...

P3200151.jpg

P3200153.jpg

the solenoid wiring had to be extended for the winch plug/ in-cab wiring
P3210162.jpg

P3240175.jpg

P3240176.jpg

P3240177.jpg

P3240178.jpg

255/85 Bighorns on the left, 285/75 Procomps on right
P3240179.jpg

prior to body lift and notching, rubbing was extreme.
P6100013.jpg

after the 2" body lift

Last edited:

Squall Line

Observer
P4280007.jpg

watertight gland at rear of cab for wiring (cb at the moment)
P4300011.jpg

rivnuts for external speaker
P4300012.jpg

P4300015.jpg

P4300016.jpg

relay for the driving lights
P5010019.jpg

tapping for in-cab winch control
P5010021.jpg

P5010022.jpg

P5010023.jpg

P5010025.jpg

Squall Line

Observer
P5010027.jpg

P5010028.jpg

P5020031.jpg

rivnut for body harness relocation
P5020032.jpg

notched fender

Engel MR040 mount Fab:

PA070012.jpg

The previous rear seat setup (please excuse the mess)

PA070013.jpg

the fridge

PA090016.jpg

mockup

PA090015.jpg

not my best work ever, but it'll hold

PA090017.jpg

PA090019.jpg

drilled the holes to accept the 3" quick fist, or smaller ones stacked.

Squall Line

Observer
PA090020.jpg

PA090021.jpg

Brackets for the turnbuckles

PA090024.jpg

In the truck. The carrier is notched on the left end for the power plugs.

----

Viking synthetic winch line and delrin rollers.
Here is the 80' of 3/8" line going on. I painted the fairlead with plastikote spray on bedliner. If you look closely, the area I masked off is visible. I choose to leave the friction surface on the rollers bare for longevity concerns. I have a 3/8", 50' extension as well.

PA030008.jpg

fresh from sierra

PA030009.jpg

part of the reason for the upgrade-- stock roller damaged after a severe side pull to fix bad decision making... :)

PA100027.jpg

Line going on

----

AT fuel can mounts
I finally got these mounted up. It involved drilling two more holes in the mount. I decided on this location based on minimizing bed space lost, and due to the hump on the front drivers side bed for the fuel filler. I am planning on building a box to mount the second battery under the passenger side rack.

PA030001.jpg

PA030002.jpg

More to follow.I hope you all enjoyed the pictures. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Eric

Squall Line

Observer
I will post up some pictures soon with the fridge installed, of the switches, and with the Wavian fuel cans in (just received yesterday :) ) as soon as possible...

Squall Line

Observer
Thanks for all of the kind words. I know I have been following a few of your builds as well, and have gotten plenty of inspiration for this one. Here are some photos I have been meaning to add:

Cooler installed on mount:
PA280015.jpg

PA280019.jpg

PA280020.jpg

I still need to make a canvas cover for the back wall. The mount is really a compromise in this truck, but the cooler and position was chosen so that the passenger could reach it when driving, and so that access from the door is just as easy. A 45 would have been a bit harder to open, effectively putting a wall between the user and fridge from one side when open... If I had known that the hinges on the 35/45 could be moved to the sides, I may have gone that route. They are slightly slimmer, and would afford more room for the seat. As it is, I am 6'0 and have plenty of adjustment in the seat. I just cant lay it back for a rest. I need to tweak the bracket a bit as it dos'nt seem to be sitting exactly level, but that is not a big deal to fix.

Wavian fuel cans in the AT mounts:

PA280016.jpg

PA280017.jpg

I am not 100% sure on the position, but I think they will look more at home when a RTT is installed on the reward section of the bed. I do like the upright mount for ease of refilling at the pump.

Switches:
PA280021.jpg

I never posted a fished picture of these... The far left is a momentary in/out for the winch, the center switch is for the driving lights (the lower position is unused, but will be for back up lights with the new bumper), and the far right switch arms the in-cab winch switch and the socket on the bumper (over cautious, but to prevent vandalism). I separated the winch controls with the light switch to prevent accidental engagement of both at the same time.

The next step is the rear bumper fab. I will post in-progress pictures of that once I get rolling on it. The parameters are as follows: Integrated receiver, wrap around rocker protection, compact form, backup lights and recovery points.

I am still trying to decide:
-if I should remove the body lift, and go back to the 255s (or go 265/75r16 on the current wheels) -- this affects mounting height...
- if I should incorporate a carrier for the spare (dependent on tent mounting/ storage space desired)
- If I should make room for a rear winch/ fairlead
- If I should notch the bed sides for the wrap-arounds

The ultimate goal is a stronger rear end with better departure angles. The body lift amplifies the low hanging stock bumper and receiver as is.

'Till next time,
Eric

Squall Line

Observer
mcm4090 said:
I love where you mounted the fuel cans.

What are you using for a spare tire mount?

you can see it is this picture : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/RaceBred/PA070013.jpg

I ordered a bunch of brackets from McMaster for the uni strut system. I threw it together in about 5 minutes when I was heading out of town. I used metric bolts and a spare set of wheel locks for a bit of security. It is fairly stout, but dose flex the bedside on big hits. It is just a temporary thing until I get a tent/ camper. You can see the high lift mount on the left side in the image as well. That was made from the same type of brackets. If you want more specifics, I can take some closeups/ get part numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears