Squall Line's Frontier build

Squall Line

Observer
Will: I actually live in north Florida. My girlfriend and I wanted to see the mountains that weekend, so we went for a little drive... We explored the Oconee and Chattahoochee national forest among other things.

---
I have started working on the bumper. Here are the pics so far. Progress may be slow, but it should be interesting to see it come together.

PA300001.jpg

not a very good before picture, but I forgot to snap one earlier

PA300003.jpg

a lot of low-hanging junk

PA300004.jpg

cleared out

PA300006.jpg

4X6 3/16" steel

PA300007.jpg

more mockup

PA300008.jpg

PA300010.jpg

working on the brackets 3x3", 1/4" steel angle

PA300011.jpg

needs a little tweaking

PA300015.jpg

brackets done

I don't know when I will be able to work on it next, but I will post progress as it comes. I have a pretty neat idea for the tire carrier, so I will have to see how that works out. I am not sure on the wrap arounds just yet, but that should be fun to figure out...

Eric

Squall Line

Observer
Finally got some time to work on this some more. I have the hardware coming in tomorrow for the tire carrier from mcmaster. I will be welding in ports for use as an air tank (calculated roughly 5.1 gal). I will be doing a slight notch of the bed as well, and wrap around protection. It should really start falling together in the next few days.

PB040001.jpg

tacked in position

PB040002.jpg

PB040003.jpg

PB040008.jpg

PB040010.jpg

I notched the brackets for more surface area, and to pull the bumper in and up a bit.

PB040014.jpg

grinding the curve into the end caps

PB040011.jpg

soonenough

Explorer
Nice work! Those welds look like they were done with TIG, but the only welding equipment I saw in the pictures was a Linclon MIG setup. If you did MIG weld those, can I come by for some lessons sometime? :D

EDIT: nevermind, I just noticed the cord for the TIG torch on the bench in that last picture.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
That is one good lookin truck mate, and I am admitedly not the biggest Nissan fan. Love the 255/85's, is there any truck they DON'T make look expedition worthy :) Nice build now we need some action shots of her out in the dirt and rocks.

Cheers

Dave

Red Zebra

Adventurer
soonenough said:
Nice work! Those welds look like they were done with TIG, but the only welding equipment I saw in the pictures was a Linclon MIG setup. If you did MIG weld those, can I come by for some lessons sometime? :D

EDIT: nevermind, I just noticed the cord for the TIG torch on the bench in that last picture.

Some people weld....others are welders. He's definitely the latter! :bowdown:

bigdog

Adventurer
great looking rig. My shrockworks bumber should be here by x-mas, can't wait. Love the AT mount location, seems like they are up and out of the way, but not blocking your view. And that tire size is very interesting. I went with the 295/75/16 to get the 33+" but that winds up being a little wider then I would have liked. Interested to see how that rear bumper turns out.

Squall Line

Observer
Thanks for all of the comments! I have been trucking along on the bumper the last two days and finally have something to show for it.
PB060001.jpg

the only fab work I have outsourced so far: I had the local metal shop punch out the holes for the receiver. In hindsight, I would have been better off with a small cutoff wheel and drilling the corners...

PB070004.jpg

I ditched the end cap that was there, and decided to give this setup a shot for the tire carrier. The bushings are just for mock up; the real piece is still on the way.

Got the hitch on today:
PB080014.jpg

PB080015.jpg

PB080017.jpg

PB080020.jpg

PB080021.jpg

PB080022.jpg

PB080025.jpg

PB080027.jpg

Squall Line

Observer
PB080028.jpg

PB080030.jpg

NPT port for the air chuck. The weld was giving me some grief, so I welded up the backside to ensure no leaks. I should have cleaned it better before welding.

PB080031.jpg

New endcap tacked up.

PB080032.jpg

Ground the shackle mounts to fit flush without having to grind that weld.

PB080036.jpg

Where it will sit.

PB080037.jpg

Bearings mocked up.

I left off here tonight. Tomorrow I am going to get the endcaps ground flush, then weld em on. I need to throw two more ports on the back side for onboard air in the future. Hopefully I can get the quarter protection on and the bed cut tomorrow, and call it good until the tire carrier part gets here. Just a note on the shackle mounts: I choose that location based on strength, and having little real estate with the tire carrier. They give up a small bit of departure angle, but they are no lower than the shackles which are less than a foot forward. Any comment or criticism is appreciated! It's been a long day :beer:.

Eric

Last edited:

Squall Line

Observer
I finally got some work done on Sunday and today. The bed is cut, and sliders tacked in place. I need to finish-weld em, and add another brace to the frame on the back end.

PB160002.jpg

cut

PB160004.jpg

masked and painted

PB180006.jpg

PB180007.jpg

PB180011.jpg

PB180012.jpg

PB180013.jpg

More to come after Thursday (hopefully!). The bushing for the swing-away finally came today... I still cant decide if I want to add a top rail to the bed sliders (like many on this site). I like to look and protection, but there is no clean way to do it as far as angles go.

Eric

hovenator

Explorer
Awesome truck....Great welding and pics to prove it.....That is going to be one sweet set-up! You do really great work.

:bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle