Star Trails - Night on the move

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks Pat. It was about 40 mins at ISO 200 and f4.5. The only light on the truck was from the dying camp fire behind the camera. I cooled the WB in post to bring the truck's color back toward normal from the fire light yellow.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
WOW only 40mins? I did a 45 min shot a few nights ago and barely got much movement in the stars compared to your shot? I wonder if it's because of my location compared to yours?

Thanks for the info

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
The movement is due to the rotation of the earth so as long as you have the North Star (Polaris) at the center, the rotation should be the same. Not sure why yours seemed different. :Astrologist:

arlon

Adventurer
Got a few this weekend down in Big Bend State Park.. Thanks for the inspiration! Wasn't for this thread, I probably wouldn't have thought to try it.
large.jpg

And looking for north..
large.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Improvised while at a bonfire with friends the other night. I hadnt brought my tripod with me, so I rested the camera on the hood of the truck against the push-bar.

i-Pj3hpNn-L.jpg

Canon 5DMKII with a Canon 16-35 f/2.8 lens - 15s exposure with an ISO3200

I couldnt believe how much light the fire gave off on the trees!!

photoman

Explorer
Went out last night to shoot some landscapes with full moon as the light source.

The horse we rode in on
i-QSRw9kD-XL.jpg

F5, ISO 800, 16mm, 25s

Saguaro and stars
i-FTMJJTP-XL.jpg

F5, ISO800, 16mm, 25s

Ocotillo, Saguaros, and streaking stars
i-628kthZ-XL.jpg

F14, ISO100, 18mm, 1444s (24mins)

Clark White

Explorer
So after looking for this thread for the last 10min (I had no idea what the name was) I realize my pictures aren't really trails...but I'm also not the only one to post non trails star photo's, so it still works!

Took these while camping last week. Thanks to all the darn trees (I know, it's a rough life in a forest) I had a limited view...

Clark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears