Storage Drawers / Platform for my GMT800 Suburban - WIP

Oobray

Adventurer
Well, I just got all the materials to start building my box. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to post pics after seeing yours. It's awesome!! Mine will work, but it won't look near as nice. You could start a business!

RPhil

Adventurer
Thanks again. Happy to share it, maybe it will spawn other ideas for other folks and encourage some to build their own.

On to the fiddly drawer finishing and some mockup work.

Here's a peek at how the smaller Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries I am considering would fit in the 'Power Module' box. There would be a row of several there. I think there'll be room for a shelf above them with the solar charge controller and a 110VAC inverter.

storagebuild033_zpseaynjn9k.jpg

Do you have a link or P/N for the latches used in the image above?

Also, great build- I have been following along and it is nice to see it come to fruition. Great woodworking skills.

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's just a basic kind of 'frameless' concealed cabinet (door) hinge, which is surface mounted, no inletting requried. You'll find them with the kitchen cabinet hardware in any major hardware store. They're similar to euro-style cabinet hinges that anchor in a big circular cutout in the cabinet body. Which would have also worked in that particular location, but they cost a bunch more and require a 35mm drill bit for their anchor cup / inlet.

And thanks for your kind words.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Farted around at the hardware store today, with an idea for the pull out table in the storage drawers, but I can't stomach the price

storagebuild147.jpg

Walnut and Mahogany in 2.5"W strips, ~49"L. That would be about $165. Way too much for what it would be. I'll probably just edge a piece of the same plywood I've been using with some mahogany strips. It's a close match for the stain job I've done already.

Last edited:

5th

Good lookin' rayra.

Many ideas I overlooked has me back in the design phase of things. Thanks for that.

rayra

Expedition Leader
heh, you're welcome.

Going forward with a modified idea on the slide-out tray / table. 2.5" mahogany strips, with 5" poplar planks. Full-length 1/8" spline joints. The ' 6in ' poplar worked out just right, after cutting two 1/8" strips off of each section, reduced from 5.5" to 5"W. So the combined stack is 17.5" wide, which is exactly what is needed.

storagebuild148.jpg
storagebuild149.jpg

Leaving it clamped up until tomorrow, then I'll sand it all flush, run the edges thru my router for a round-over. Then try the same stain I used on the drawer faces on the underside of the piece to see how it looks. And if acceptable I'll do the top side too. The already finished edge / face strip will be attached using a kreg jig & screws.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
thanks.

Nothing new to report, really, except that wipe-on poly is way too fragile for this use. Already scratched the finish up on the drawer faces. Been doing a lot of remodeling and tile work for some family relations, loading and unloading a lot of tools and materials has put more wear than I'd hoped on things. And next week I'm sure the county registrar folks will do their worst when I go turn everything in on election night (I'm a polling place inspector this time, I have to haul all the voting equipment, ballot box etc to a collection center, place is a hasty assembly line operation, they're gonna bang **** up).
If I ever re-do the faces in a better hardwood, I'll be finishing them with a much thicker poly or spar varnish application.

I'm hoping to get to the final stage of this build before Thanksgiving. The inverter should arrive this weekend, as well as a few other electrical bits and then I'll be ready to tear everything out and do all the final electrical cabling and mounting modifications and put it all back together, completed.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Really like what you've done and I appreciate you sharing it from the sketches to the "end" (current condition).

I enjoy the creativity, craftsmanship and woodworking on this site as much as anything else I see here.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Really like what you've done and I appreciate you sharing it from the sketches to the "end" (current condition).

I enjoy the creativity, craftsmanship and woodworking on this site as much as anything else I see here.

Magic Mountain? We're practically neighbors. Send me a PM if you want some help building anything in the new year.

bald.eagle

Observer
Great thread rayra, thanks for posting the entire process. Your attention to detail is evident and you've ended up with a really nice install. I like how you went to the extent of skeletonizing the panels, akin to the Paulk workbench I see in your shop. The custom made moldings are a really nice finishing touch. One question, maybe I missed it- how did you secure the boxes to the floor, if at all?

I also have a 2002 Suburban, and I'm planning to do a drawer/platform setup similar to yours. Mine will be modular as well, so the third row could still be installed with the rear drawers in. With the third row removed, a more portable sliding/extending bed platform would cover the remaining length needed for a sleep platform.

I'll definitely be bookmarking this thread for reference when it comes time for my build.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thank you.

Right now the three boxes are screwed to each other thru their side walls and they are bolted down into the rearmost cargo area tie-down mounting points.

I'm gearing up to complete the bigger electrical wiring projects that I'm posting about over in the 12v subforum. I'll be pulling everything out and much of the rear interior to complete that heavy wiring and several other related projects, rear camera cabling, alterations to the rear A/C intake slots, running wiring up the driver side 'C' pillar for a rooftop solar mount. When I have everything out I'll be adding some slots and J-bolts in the floor of the front breadbox sections of the drawers, using the 3rd row seat mounting bars to bolt down the front of the modules.

I just finished fitting in a 1000W inverter in the power section. A little off-center, I was trying to cover the hole previously made for the lower power outlet. When I eventually re-do the hardwood faces I'll make it a tighter fit and better layout.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...on-my-inputs-and-ouputs?p=2196222#post2196222

auxbatt061%20inverter%20fitted_zpsplhn77rl.jpg

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Always entertaining to see what you come up with and how you build it. Keep up the good work!

spc15t

I like this build thread a lot. I have big plans for my 96 Suburban, not the least of which is a storage system not too dissimilar from what you're building. Very impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior