STUCK pictures

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Zam15 said:
Correction you are right it is an International Scout. I did not know what it was at first because I do not see many around. Also considering they stopped making them before I was born :hehe: but it was a very impressive rig and was very glad to have it pull me out.

I did try that line you pointed out because I thought the same thing as you. It was better than most spots but I was still not able to get a high as I needed to and a recovery was more difficult on that side. I don't think I did too bad considering I was loaded with tons of gear and still mostly stock.
001324.jpg

I know I would not have attempted this if I was on my own but what could I have done to get myself out if I had been? Sand Ladders, a winch with barried tire at the top? Or just keep on digging to see if I hit the hard stuff...

What's around the corner to the left in this picture? Looks like a small wash coming around that hill from the left. Was there any options up that wash for an easier exit?

If not, and you were by your self, forget the keep diging looking for a firm bottom approach. Not likley to find that before bottoming out on your frame.:elkgrin:

I would have aired down a tad more to maybe 8-10 lbs if your tires could still handle your loaded weight. This assumes you have an air compressor to air back up at the top of the hill. Too easy to pop a tire off the rim when cornering to stay at that pressure without bead locks.

Sand ladders could have helped get you out and a winch off a deeply buried tire or any other available objects like logs, unused ATVs, etc could have helped inch you over the crest.

That's my two cents anyway. :hehe:

Zam15

Explorer
Tucson T4R said:
What's around the corner to the left in this picture? Looks like a small wash coming around that hill from the left. Was there any options up that wash for an easier exit?
Ok these should be the last pictures. I did get a running start so I could get up as high as possible. I floored it and crossed my fingers...
001331.jpg

As you said it was somewhat of a wash but both sides were too narrow for my vehicle to fit through. This place had one way in and one way out. The side I entered on was very soft and I could not have made it up.
001298.jpg

Thanks for the comments :)

Photog

Explorer
This might sound wild, but the Land Rovers used to do this.

You are heavily loaded in the rear, so did you try backing up the hill? This allows some weight transfer to the front tires, and you end up with a bit more traction across the 4 tires. It might not have worked, since it is difficult to gain any momentum in reverse.

Also, was the lip on the hill hard rock, or just more loose dirt. A shovel might have been useful, to ease the effects of that lip, and allow you to go straight up the middle.

Zam15

Explorer
Photog said:
This might sound wild, but the Land Rovers used to do this.

You are heavily loaded in the rear, so did you try backing up the hill? This allows some weight transfer to the front tires, and you end up with a bit more traction across the 4 tires. It might not have worked, since it is difficult to gain any momentum in reverse.

Also, was the lip on the hill hard rock, or just more loose dirt. A shovel might have been useful, to ease the effects of that lip, and allow you to go straight up the middle.
Ha I actually tried that as well. I remembered watching some old documentary on a group of guys that were traveling in land rovers and when they were in Iran doing a demo for the military and ran into a hill that they were not able to climb going forward so instead they did it in reverse.... If only it had worked for me :smiley_drive:

And as for the lip I think I recall that it was just very hard dirt... If I had to I could have worked if for a few hours and then that might of helped. If anyone wants to go test if that would work be my guest :p

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
The fact that there are people here who were born after they stopped making Scouts has made me realize that I'm far to old to date college girls. Probably too old for cougars even. I was born shortly after they started making FJ40s and CJ5s.

As far as the stuck goes, there is no shame in that. It looks like a wonderful trail and a great team building exorcise in multi-brand relations. I'm a bit taller and shorter and would, surely, have had to have taken the strap on that climb.

michaels

Explorer
time for some updates. drove in in low range just fine. came back through my my own ruts in high on the way out...no bueno.

winching to the truck didn't work. using snatch traps didn't work. finally winching to a tree that was in the gooey mess worked.

P5170009.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Do Yer Maintenance.

A Dana 44 axle has three (3) bearings at each end. Inner and outer wheel races and the magic, secret hand shake, spindle bearing that carries the drive shaft to the wheel. If you live in country where it rains a bit, like Cameroon, you need to repack all three bearings at least once a year. If you don't know this, then the spindle bearing will dry up and you won't be able to engage the front axle at road speed or for a long time, just when you set off on a long trip, like across the Sahara.

Thus forced to remain in 4x2, you may just get stuck. May?

103074601.jpg

Do you know how much sand there is between Zinder and Agadez? The memory of digging out has made me a maintenance monster ever since!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
When the line is missed:

544586098_M3tpL-XL.jpg

544586266_ggdxv-XL.jpg

544586410_qYKN7-XL.jpg

I wonder if they could have saved some scraping if the red Jeep had pulled the silver Jeep to the left slightly with the silver Jeep turning its wheels to the left until it gained traction enough to crawl out on the two high spots.

Brian

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I wonder if they could have saved some scraping if the red Jeep had pulled the silver Jeep to the left slightly with the silver Jeep turning its wheels to the left until it gained traction enough to crawl out on the two high spots.

Brian

It was suggested at the time, but the silver Jeep owner deemed it unnecessary, as he had ample diff guard protection. This place is an open OHV area, and the scrape marks will disappear fairly quickly due to vehicle traffic, wind, dust, and heat.

The moral of the story, don't turtle your Jeep!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears