Suzuki dealers to sell version of Nissan pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptruck.com and Edmunds are saying that Suzuki has plans to sell re-badged versions of the Nissan Frontier pickup in 2008. The announcement is expected at the Chicago Auto Show in Febriary 2008.

The name Suzuki will use for the pickup is expected to be "Equator." No word if Suzuki will start selling Nissan Titans, or if Nissan dealers will start selling Hayabusas.

I expect Nissan gave Suzuki a good deal on the trucks, since Frontier sales are down 17% this year. Only the Chevy Colorado and Ford Ranger have experienced a bigger decline in sales this year.

Little trucks always suffer when there are hefty incentives to buy the full-size trucks. Even Tacoma sales are down a little bit, while Tundra sales are up 57%.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Suzuki Equator concept

Suzuki is showing a re-badged Nissan Frontier pickup at the Chicago Auto Show. Called the Equator, the concept is expected to be very similar to the truck that shows up at Suzuki dealers in late 2008.

suzuki-1.jpg

Since this is badge engineering at its finest, I expect that all aftermarket goodies for the Frontier will simply bolt up on the Equator. I assume that's where Suzuki got the front bumper and rock rails shown in the photo.

Automobile Magazine has text and a photo gallery available here
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2008_chicago/0802_2009_suzuki_equator/index.html

Chip Haven

chet

island Explorer
so do I! The bumper and rails are from Shrockworks. Other than some facial changes its all Nissan drivetrain so all lifts etc. will fit. Lets hope this helps out both MFG's.

I will be ready for a new truck in the end of '09 so good timing!

mcm4090

Explorer
chet said:
so do I! The bumper and rails are from Shrockworks. Other than some facial changes its all Nissan drivetrain so all lifts etc. will fit. Lets hope this helps out both MFG's.
I don't think it's shrockworks. I believe it is a Road armor bumper.

This is a shrock bumper.
bumper4.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
More details are available now about the Suzuki Equator:

Suzuki Equator
based on Nissan Frontier pickup
available as access-cab or crew cab, two bed lengths.

4.0-liter V6
261 hp, 281 lb-ft with five-speed automatic = 15/19 mpg

2.5-liter four
152 hp, 171 lb-ft. 5 speed manual = 19/23 mpg
(not available in crew cab models)

4-low crawl ratio 33 to 1 with automatic, 42 to 1 for manual trans

wheelbase: 126"
overall length: 205" (60" standard bed), 219" (73" long bed)

GVWR: 5690 lbs
payload with 4x4: 1380 lbs
towing capacity: 6,300 lbs

ground clearance 8.9 inches minimum
turing circle 43 ft
brakes: disc front and rear

electronic locking rear differential available, works in 4-Low only

RMZ-4 package :
Bilstein shocks, skid plates, rear axle from Nissan Titan full-size truck,
and 32 inch tall 265/75R16 tires

electronic aids:
limited-slip traction control, Vehicle Dynamic Control,
Hill Descent Control and Hill Hold Control.

7 year, 100,000 mile warranty

price not yet announced, will be close to Nissan, e.g., about $30K for 4x4 crewcab with V6.

sami

Explorer
wow, that suzuki does look better than the nissan.

btw.. a 265/75/16 isn't quite a 32" tire.. ;)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
adrenaline503 said:
Yea, I like that truck a lot. I prefer its looks over the Nissan actually.
Agreed, the Suzi version I saw in a mag recently looked so much better than the Nissan it's based on. Too bad Suzi is making do with a re-badge, I'd love to see a new "Sumo" brought over here SFA and all, or how about the Jimny for god sakes. And if I were Suzuki I'd want the new front diff installed before I put my logo on it ;)

Cheers

Dave

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Good artists plagiarize. Great ones, steal... Cosmetics aside, given that it's essentially a Frontier, isn't it really another implicit accolade for Nissan?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan