Suzuki Owners; Let's see your ExPo Trucks

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
How did an LWB Sammy get to the US? I thought the only one that was ever imported was the SWB version. Is it a gray-market import? I remember seeing them over in Germany in the late 80's but have never seen one in the states.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
How did an LWB Sammy get to the US? I thought the only one that was ever imported was the SWB version. Is it a gray-market import? I remember seeing them over in Germany in the late 80's but have never seen one in the states.

Mine was brought from Canada in the late 80's to AZ where it spent its life untill I purchased it in 2005. This is why its rust free.

From what I can tell, there are somewhere around 25 LWB's in the US that where brought down from Canada one way or another.

chet

island Explorer
Once they reach 25 years old you can bring them in. so your up to 1984 right now.

Jeff. Our LWB's look remarkably similar!

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
check out page 2 of this thread! Its the only pic I have right now. It does have the 33x10.590 swamper radials on it now and will hopefully be out of the shop in a month or so looking in better shape.

NICE! I've looked for years for a soft top for mine with no luck.

98dango

Expedition Leader
love all the samies i have owned my share of them. Never tried to expo with one i had enought trouble just getting the wheeling gear in one.

here is my first samie

5_Suzuki-a.jpg

here is my second samie towing my scout

zukpull4.jpg

i cant find pics of my 3rd samie it was a 90 efi with a 1.6 sidekick block 33 bfgs i loved that thing but i dident fit my life at the time wife 6 year old kid

then after a divorce and no kids

i bought a 87 with toy gear and 33 ltbs i need to dig up some pics. I have sence moved to biger cabs but will go back one day with a tin top cut to an excab

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Swap

At this stage this is just research, and won't happen for a few years. But, have any of you done engine swaps on your Sami? What engine did you swap? How much time/money did it cost you? Was it easy or hard? And, what were some of the benefits you gained?

I'm asking because I'm hoping to be able to increase a bit of horse power out of the Samurai to be able to go faster on the highway, and maintain or increase torque for crawling (currently with the 1.3L, geared, and ARB air lockers I'm fine for anything I do). Right now, we either have to take the very slow trip to where ever we are going, or we have to get towed by some other vehicle. Top speed is about 55mph revved high. So, I'm thinking 1.6L swap (someday), or diesel (might be too expensive). Let me know of what you think of some of the products and engine rebuilds from various companies such as Petroworks (they're pretty close to me).

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
VW TDI!!!!!!!!!!! far and away the best motor swap option for the Suzi. And if you do your homework and search around they can be done for about the same price as any of the other swaps. PLus they're VW motors wich means they're very durable adn there are a ton of tuning options out there to make substantialy more power... PLus they're diesel so in my book that's the best there is.

Nice trucks folks. I love the Sami's for some of the same reason I love my Toyota's, I STILL see so many of them on the road after all these years. THat says something to me about the quality of the trucks and the love people have for them. Nice rigs guy's/gals keep'm coming.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Its the VW IDI not the TDI that you would want to swap. The TDI swap would be far more complicated and expensive. The wiring is a nightmare with the anti theft system on those cars.

I have also done the 1.6 16v swap, its about the same as the IDI swap as far as the difficulty goes but is a little cheaper.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ahh, right agreed, I mis-spoke. I was thinking 1.9 with an added I/C And Turbo. I've built 8v motors both turbo and N/A for the various VW's I've owned and really every performance part I put in added to overall strength and longevity. Those motors put out some respectable power and drove like complete pussycats. Most all of them are still on the road too ;) Suzi's and VW motors are a good mariage IMO, both make tough products and the end product is alot of fun. Now if I could just find a LWB Sami. I can definately find the VW motor...

Jeff: got any more pics of the trucks with the Swaped in motors of either fuel type???

Cheers

Dave

skitime

Observer
Just wanted to say hi after just joining. I am from northeastern US in the state of Pennsylvania. I love seeing what the rest of the world is doing with the our trucks. Mine is a 97 Geo Tracker 5 speed with AC but as we all know it really is a Suzuki Sidekick or Vitara depending where you are. Our Tracker leads a dual life. Most of the year is is a daily driver with an occasional role as a weekend offroad warrior. Each summer we flat tow it about 7000 miles round trip with our motorhome to the western US for a month of more serious offroading in the Rocky Mountains and the deserts of the southwestern US. We are gearing up for some multi-day offroad adventures and found this great website. As you all know half the challenge is getting everything in our trucks. Here is list of what is done so far.

ARB air lockers in front and rear differentials
5.83 ring and pinions
Calmini Anvil
Trail Tough Rockmonster 4.24:1 transfer case gears
31-10.50-15 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 8" wheels with 3.75" backspacing.
Calmini 3" suspension lift
OME front struts
OME 962 springs & 2" spacers on front
OME 955 springs & 1" spacers on rear
OME rear shocks
2 inch Sky body lift
Shrockworks front bumper
M8000 lb Warn winch with Amsteel rope instead of steel cable.
Shrockworks rock sliders
Sylvania SilverStar High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulbs
Hella driving lights
4 door Vitara brakes upgrade for the vented rotors and larger drum brakes.
Factory engine/front differential skid plate
Factory transfer skid plate
Aftermarket4x4 gas tank skid plate
3" gas tank lift
Dual battery setup
ARB on-board air
Hi-Lift Jack

DSC_0519-1.jpg

IMG_0409-1.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics