Suzuki Owners; Let's see your ExPo Trucks

Bergum

Adventurer
First off all, you need a good ground cable from the back door to the chassis. You have most likely a ground problem.

Winter's coming, Stark

crab

I like the way it's installed. Looks good! With the addition of the spring you have made the radiating element longer, so you might have to adjust the tip to make it shorter. If you want to experiment around, try tuning the antenna without the spring and then add it after you have a usable SWR. That would be anything from 2.5:1 ratio or lower. If it gets much higher than 3:1 your reflected power "could" burn up your receiver. If you can get it in the sub 2:1 range with the spring I would be happy. Your power output is pretty low, so as long as you are not dead-keying the microphone for an hour straight you will be just fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am at a loss. What I've done this morning:

bought new SWR meter No change.
added cable from tailgate to body. Continuity good.
checked continuity in coax. Good.
checked continuity from antenna base to ground. Good.
checked continuity from antenna base to battery. good.
added a power mic. no change 3+ SWR
removed spring. no change 3+ SWR

all I can think of is moving the rig into a field. Ill try that now.

UPDATE: moved the rig. No change.

UPDATE: just for fun, ran a separate wire from the antenna base to battery neg. No Change.

Last edited:

crab

Did you do a cable directly from radio to ground?

Winter's coming, Stark

Hmm, what are you thinking I should do? I have the radio temporarily wired to a cig lighter adapter. I measured 12.7 volts between the hot and ground when the key was in the ACC position. I also have a voltmeter running off that circuit, and it works fine so I think they ground there is ok. The CB's weather band function works ok, so I assumed the power was ok. Do you think I need to read the amperage going through, or were you suggesting I run a separate ground from the radio's body?

Bergum

Adventurer
Radio should always be connected to pluss and minus. All places where panels are put together can act as a condensation, and give you noise. The antenna mount needs good ground, not just electrical ground.
Allso, did you test it with your engine running? If so, don't. The engine has a lot of noise generating places.... :)

4lo2go

crab

Radio should always be connected to pluss and minus. All places where panels are put together can act as a condensation, and give you noise. The antenna mount needs good ground, not just electrical ground.
Allso, did you test it with your engine running? If so, don't. The engine has a lot of noise generating places.... :)

4lo2go

Did all the tests with engine off. Starting to think the radio might be dead. Should I at least hear static on the CB channels?

Bergum

Adventurer
Have you tested reception on the radio with just a bit of wire in the coax plug on the radio? (do NOT tutch the transmit button)? Please post a pic of your radio front as the buttons are set... :)

4lo2go

crab

Have you tested reception on the radio with just a bit of wire in the coax plug on the radio? (do NOT tutch the transmit button)? Please post a pic of your radio front as the buttons are set... :)

4lo2go

No, have not tried that. thanks for the help.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
By the sounds of it your radio is dead. No way you should be getting absolutely zero incoming reception. Even if the ****tiest antenna you'll still get reception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12