Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Anyone wear 34 regular pants? want a deal on a pair of Bear grylls pants? regular 100 bucks American now 50. still has the tags. I am a 36, my wife ordered 36 and they sent 34. I can ship them back but if a member wants a nice pair of pants for 50 bucks plus shipping, I will go for that.

kojackJKU

yeah, They feel tough. Made by craighoppers, and are very water resistant, great for off roading in the rain and mist. No insulation value but that's not what they are about. I wont say they are water proof, but they bead up nicely.

liftedlimo

Adventurer
Suits. Wear suits. You can get good looking suit for almost nothing and you will baffle everyone when you wear suits out to the hardware store and in the woods.

frans

Adventurer
HA! In the town I grew up there was a roofing company that bought suits from the Salvation Army, the entire crew wore them for hot tar roofing. Funniest thing I ever saw.

zelatore

Explorer
I was just looking at those firehouse pants from Duluth. How long have you had them, and how hard do you use them?

How is the fit? I'm 6'6" and 270 lbs. 40" x 34" would be my size depending on cut. I am flexible, and split the crotch area on my Carharts when they were new. They were solid but the cut of the pants was not good for me. Mobility was junk!

I had to get a much bigger waist size just to fit my legs in.

I'm pretty much the opposite of you size-wise. I'm about 5' 10", 170 lbs and wear a 32x32. I would agree with others that they run a little bit long, but I'm fine wearing the same 32x32 I wear in most other things.
I've been wearing the firehose in both regular and flex since the first of the year daily for work. I work on yachts - sounds a little fru-fru I guess, but it's damn hard on pants. I would normally have totaled at least one pair of Levis by now. I'm constantly crawling around in very tight bilges and engine rooms, getting oil, gas, diesel, and battery acid on my clothes. Minimum restriction is important since I'm usually contorting myself into some impossible to reach area. Durability is important to me as well since as I said I was destroying (as in huge holes) a pair of Levis about every 6 months.

I need to look presentable for work and the Duluths do that fine. I need something with a good pocket configuration so I can keep my cell, a small flash light, keys to the marina, my van, the office, the house, the boat I'm on...etc, plus whatever tools I need when I need both hands to scramble/climb up on that hard top or down into some awkward hole in a bilge. And I wanted something that sheds water easily since I'm obviously working around the stuff and can't call off working outside just because it's raining.

So far, they've done the job. The regular firehose material is a little stiff at first and certainly warmer than the flex but I've been OK with it so far. Granted, when it's pushed 90+ I've tried to make sure I was wearing the flex pants on those days. As to durability I've only managed to get one tiny hole in any of them so far but that was from battery acid that I didn't get rinsed off fully. I don't know any clothes that will stand up to that for long. They have done a pretty good job of shedding water, say from rain or indirect spray from a hose (cleaning/washing stuff) but are not waterproof. And they look presentable when you have to deal with the public. They've even done a pretty good job of holding off stains, except for some black silicon I got on one pair...once that sets up you're pretty much screwed. They've even held up against sparks from the grinder while building a bumper. I managed to burn holes through my shirt, but not the pants.

I still wear jeans when I'm not working, and I usually wear wicking clothes when I'm hiking. But if you need something for physical work, I would fully recommend the firehose pants.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Another note on the Firehose pants.
The zipper. It's not long. I gotta go up and over the bottom threshold to, errr, get the job done.

I wish I could redesign them. The material and workmanship is the best I've ever worn. I really like their feel. They just don't fit me quite right.
I'm really jealous of anybody that they do fit right...

kojackJKU

Bill,

You worded that wrong, what I would of said is my Johnson is much to big for the little zipper opening they have in the pants. ha ha1

peneumbra

Explorer
Wear a suit around here and people will think !) you've just been to a funeral, or 2) you're a defendant in a federal criminal case.

kojackJKU

Just received my softshell "jack wolfskin" pants from China. What an awesome deal. 30 bucks with free shipping gets you a lined water resistant softshell pant. 3 different color choices and very very comfortable. A+ deal. I love them. Only issue is my gut is too big for them...ha ha. the rest of me fit the pants like a glove, but my gut.

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
I go for Fjällraven from Sweden.

Very well made, flame resistant so you can sit near your campfire without damage your gear...

You can wax this for various conditions, so they will work good in windy conditions with much humitidty and also on a sunny day with higher temperatures.

E58f3kZ.jpg

Jacket No. 68 and Barents Pro Trousers.

And, of course, my Tilley:sombrero:

Stephan

mattiep11

Adventurer
i just got some mountainkhaki.com pants... they are out of jackson whole. they r super classy versions of dickies or charharts. i wear 34x32, but got 36x32 and they fit perfect..super comfy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan