Syncro Vs. Sportsmobile

BajaBus

Adventurer
Everyone has different lifestyles, read on below.

Nothing from Toyota is reliable enough for you, you're kidding right!?

I think you just answered your own question. You have very specific opinions on what you want just like the rest of us. You don't trust a SMB but would take a '72 Suburban out there? You're kidding right? :sombrero:

No, for the specific application I come here to discuss, I would not even consider a Toyota the same way I wouldn't consider a two-seater to haul my family of five around. BTW, did you see the shakedown of a stock FJ by Ian on Xtreme 4x4. Shockingly bad.

RR1

Explorer
I think you just answered your own question. You have very specific opinions on what you want just like the rest of us. You don't trust a SMB but would take a '72 Suburban out there? You're kidding right? :sombrero:

No, for the specific application I come here to discuss, I would not even consider a Toyota the same way I wouldn't consider a two-seater to haul my family of five around. BTW, did you see the shakedown of a stock FJ by Ian on Xtreme 4x4. Shockingly bad.

Well the Burb would be built....new modern EFI LS motor, nice coil over suspension...more ore less just a body on a modern drive train.

As for the SMB...among other things, I don't think self tapping screws should be used a $100K rig...I "might" trust the Ford base vehicle part of it though, except no 6.0 diesel...the 7.3 or a gasser V-10 I would though. How come no 6.7 diesel in the new vans? We owned plenty of Fords for our fleet vehicles...three were vans actually, the rest trucks. I would totally have U-Joint or Colorado Camper Vans build me a 4WD one...

The new FJ's are horrible...Toyota took a great classic and fricken ruined it. As I said earlier, there isn't much available on the new American market that excites me.

Funny thing I am looking at vans now, as our VW Westy is an underpowered turd and a big 4WD American van is pretty darn cool...I have to get over my
trust issues with American made vehicles :ylsmoke:

600_BVAN1.JPG

Last edited:

BajaBus

Adventurer
I have to get over my
trust issues with American made vehicles :ylsmoke:

That's pretty difficult for most to do with lingering memories of the decades of the 70s, 80s, and 90s and especially with the anti-American media, most notably Consumer Reports that is extremely anti-American to the point of losing all credibility.

RR1

Explorer
That's pretty difficult for most to do with lingering memories of the decades of the 70s, 80s, and 90s and especially with the anti-American media, most notably Consumer Reports that is extremely anti-American to the point of losing all credibility.

I have had such great luck with Toyota over the years (owned Ford only before that)...buying an American made vehicle is a hard sell for me, even though we are trying to buy as much "Made in the USA" products as we can...I just don't know if I could buy an American vehicle.

At least the Toyota Tundra is non-union US built....

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I've owned numerous Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, Chevy's and Dodges. Haven't had an unreliable vehicle yet.

However, a '95 Toyota 4x4 Tacoma did ruin the whole Toyota mystique for me when at 37,000 easy miles, both rear leaf pacs broke as I pulled out of the driveway one day. I've gotten F-250's airborne back in the early '80's and had the headlights pop out upon landing but the leafs were fine. The 2 1/2 yr old Tacoma sat for two months while Toyota back orderred the parts. It was 1,000 miles over the 36,000mile warranty, so they would not pay for it. After weeks of haggling, they finally agreed to pay for the parts but not the labor, but by that time the relationship was scarred. Can't see a reason to ever own a Toyota again unless I find a great deal on a used Hi Ace 4x4 pop top that somwhow is a lot better than what I already have, something that totally blows me away. Very doubtul, I know.

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
I've owned numerous Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, Chevy's and Dodges. Haven't had an unreliable vehicle yet.

However, a '95 Toyota 4x4 Tacoma did ruin the whole Toyota mystique for me when at 37,000 easy miles, both rear leaf pacs broke as I pulled out of the driveway one day. I've gotten F-250's airborne back in the early '80's and had the headlights pop out upon landing but the leafs were fine. The 2 1/2 yr old Tacoma sat for two months while Toyota back orderred the parts. It was 1,000 miles over the 36,000mile warranty, so they would not pay for it. After weeks of haggling, they finally agreed to pay for the parts but not the labor, but by that time the relationship was scarred. Can't see a reason to ever own a Toyota again unless I find a great deal on a used Hi Ace 4x4 pop top that somwhow is a lot better than what I already have, something that totally blows me away. Very doubtul, I know.

Yeah, it all depends on personal experience. Only takes once to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Some times you get the beer:thirty build...

jfarsang

Adventurer
Japanese reliability, coolness factor, small and nimble, can tackle Rubicon, big enough for a small family.

If you live in Canada, you can import a older Mitsubishi L300 Delica poptop.
2.5 turbo diesel, P/T 4WD transfercase, solid rear axle IFS front, cab over.

5647280433_87a4c2fe7a_b.jpg

Or a newer L400 Spacegear. 2.8 turbo diesel, P/T 4WD transfercase, solid rear axle IFS front, SMB style driving.

5206018930_162c97cba6_b.jpg

cd_3.jpg

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Those Delicas sure are neat. Until you sit in one. If you are anything near 6' and have a 34" inseam or take a coat size something over 48. Talk about cramped!

As far as reliability goes, just look at www.delica.ca and look for yourself. Getting twice the fuel economy does not always mean lower operating costs.

They sure are neat though.

jfarsang

Adventurer
The L400 with the 2.8TD is bulletproof. Timing chain, water/oil cooled turbo, IDI injection, can haul 3,000lbs with ease, mechanical injection = no electricals = no problems. Shift on the fly 2WD - AWD and 4H/4L transfer case makes is great in any conditions.

Two friends, one 6'2 and the other 6'6 and both love them.

The L300 (older style) is more cramped and cabover is different seating. The L400 (newer style) feels like you're sitting in a 7/8 size SMB.

The camperized inside is in an L400.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I've sat in both at Japan Auto in Abbotsford. I'm a big guy, 6'4", but not that big. Maybe its about how you get your height. I've got long legs and could not access the inside door latch once I slammed the door shut because my knee was jammed between the steering wheel and the door. That was with both the 300 and 400. Maybe a guy could move the seat back on the 400 but in the 300 you're sitting in the engine cover and that could cause problems. But they are narrow, think early Toyota P/U.

Other than size on a trail, I really don't think they have anything over a domestic gasser.

jfarsang

Adventurer
Longevity, mileage and p/t 4WD. Timing chain replacement is at 350,000 miles. Other than that, it's oil changes and injectors once in a while. Low maintenance. Average 28-29 mpg empty or fully loaded. Solid rear axle with LSD or locker and IFS front end. Can fit 31's.

It's essentially a Montero on a van body with a diesel engine. All other parts are swapable.

There is nothing we have on the market right now in a 'minivan' that's diesel, 4x4, reliable and around $10,000.

But I think the OP is in the US so these won't apply.

BajaBus

Adventurer

Okay, surely I'm not the only one who thinks that is anything but cool. I'll stick with what I can get parts for on any corner and looks like what most people think of a real van looking like (outside of North Korea or wherever that thing is made). If I tried picking my kids up for school in that thing, they'd probably call the cops. With a lack of any real advantages, I'm trying hard to understand the attraction.

RR1

Explorer
Okay, surely I'm not the only one who thinks that is anything but cool. I'll stick with what I can get parts for on any corner and looks like what most people think of a real van looking like (outside of North Korea or wherever that thing is made). If I tried picking my kids up for school in that thing, they'd probably call the cops. With a lack of any real advantages, I'm trying hard to understand the attraction.

Ha ha funny...that could probably be said for just about any van...they all put off the creepy van guy vibe, or you're plumber...:elkgrin:

Except for a VW...you should see the smiles and waves we get when we drive by....no creepy vibes here!

1966-vw-21-window-bus.jpg

Last edited:

Patman

Explorer
Kinda seems a little closed minded. I challenge anyone to pack more versatility into a certain size rig than a forward control van. Be it a little 6' suzuki, a delica, a vanagon, etc.

Imagine how much more room you'd have if you didn't change anything except making the econoline a forward control. Same foot print, 2+ feet of space, better visability, etc.

Cool is all relative. I think all vans are cool in their own way. It all depends on the intended use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears