Syncro Vs. Sportsmobile

coguzzi

Adventurer
um, i dont think anything spells pedophile like an econoline--ok--maybe a dodge tradesman. but a Delica--nothing about that seems "creepy" to me, its all out--not american excess smart diesel. and its made in japan not korea.

here is my back ground, i owned 4 syncros (some with wbxer some with subaru) and loved them to death, selling my 4th one when i moved from CO to Vancouver BC because i had every intention of buying a Delica (small displacement diesel, real transfer case etc etc) or a toyota land cruiser BJ60 (diesel version of the FJ60) or a toyota hiace (diesel van--think that right)

anyway--i stayed 10 months in vancouver, found out i really am a sun person after all and the 7 days of sun i saw in 10 months didnt work for me. I figured this out in the first month, so i never did buy anything i couldnt bring back with me.

but before i moved back i bought a syncro westfalia that was dead in the water, site unseen in CO since i couldnt live with out a van any longer. i spent the next 2 years building out my dream syncro, subaru SVX motor, suspension mods, and the interior I wanted, bling here, bling there. I finally realized i had out grown the VW van platform after 25 rear engined VW's in my history. me and my wife both ride dirt bike, and like to camp on jeep roads where we can dirt bike from camp--trailering didnt cut it and i want to put my bikes inside and be self contained

so, i sold the syncro and got my long lusted after (seriously--since i was a kid) 4x4 7.3 PSD econoline. did i need a 7.3--hell no, would i have loved a smaller L psd--hell yeah. do i love the van--hell yeah, do i find it american excess--definitely.

that being said, im not about to stop modding it and i love most things about it so far, its quieter than a syncro ever has hopes of being (anyone who complains about a diesel econoline being loud has never driven a VW vanagon), real transfer case, diesel, solid axle, blank slate to continue what i learned from past builds. even at 7.3L, im still ahead mpg wise. me and the wife are really digging the new van, and it gets better by the day (stay tuned for build thread), but even she keeps me in check to make sure it doesnt turn into a "compensating for lack of something" 4x4, which i never had to worry about in a syncro.

do i miss my syncro--oh yeah. i must admit the syncro community are some of the best people on this planet, and they still want me to come camping with them (so i can pull them out no doubt). syncro to SMB (or 4x4 econoline) comparison is not apples to apples, they really are different vans

jfarsang

Adventurer
I had two syncro's and had the typical love&hate relationship with them. Love them for the space/versatility and hated them for the electrical/mechanical wallet sucking things they are.

My dad had a SWB chevy that was converted to 4x4 and it was great for camping with the family, etc... but it definitely screamed 'pickup children on the side of the road van'. We sold it to a family down the road and they sold it a few months later because cops kept pulling them over for suspicious activities. They were mormons ! :coffeedrink:

Okay, surely I'm not the only one who thinks that is anything but cool. I'll stick with what I can get parts for on any corner and looks like what most people think of a real van looking like (outside of North Korea or wherever that thing is made). If I tried picking my kids up for school in that thing, they'd probably call the cops. With a lack of any real advantages, I'm trying hard to understand the attraction.

Parts on every corner = Mitsubishi Montero sold all over the US

Picking up kids at school = they love it and parents love it

Real advantages = diesel - 29 mpg , rear LSD/locker solid axle , p/t 4H/4L transfercase , can stack 8x4 foot plywood sheets up to the roof , buy them for under $10,000 , most come around 50-80,000 miles and look like a new vehicle.

Hallelujah !

Hayduke950

Observer
I have absolutely no trouble trusting the reliability of an American V8 or diesel van; I worked for several rafting and fishing outfitters through the years, and Ford Econoline's were the standard shuttle vehicle; many of them had 250-300,000 miles on them and going strong, with normal maintenance (and a lot of flogging by the guides). My 7.3 E350 has 280,000 miles on it; don't know many japanese vehicles that would be any more reliable.

BajaBus

Adventurer
I have absolutely no trouble trusting the reliability of an American V8 or diesel van; I worked for several rafting and fishing outfitters through the years, and Ford Econoline's were the standard shuttle vehicle; many of them had 250-300,000 miles on them and going strong, with normal maintenance (and a lot of flogging by the guides). My 7.3 E350 has 280,000 miles on it; don't know many japanese vehicles that would be any more reliable.

Shhhhhhhhhhh. In the current Liberal, anti-American environment, that is a very "uncool" position to take and facts be damned. Anything Oriental is the **** and American is so not hip.

Patman

Explorer
Shhhhhhhhhhh. In the current Liberal, anti-American environment, that is a very "uncool" position to take and facts be damned. Anything Oriental is the **** and American is so not hip.

I vas unter die impression it vas all about zie GERMANS!! Ja!? ;)

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Sorry if this had been posted before if so can someone link me???

Been kicking around the idea of getting and SMB again but kind of always wanted a Syncro Westy.

Can you guys chime in on the pluses and minuses of each???

12 years ago we looked at a Westy that was called "The Wesel" and had the name on the back of the van. It was owned by a young guy named Wes and all his friends called the van "The Wesel" so he officially named it that.

One selling point, he said, was that he did not take it up to Mt Baker Ski Lodge all winter so it does not have that wear and tear on it, as everyone knows that continually driving a Vanagon up the mountain will prematurely kill it (his words, not mine).

Hayduke950

Observer

Well, I'm very liberal and very American, and I'll keep my Ford, thanks. :ylsmoke:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

I hope you're using the word "Oriental" in some "Ironic" sense... As no ultra-PC dirty hippy bleeding heart liberal would ever use that word seriously.

Patman

Explorer
Well, I'm very liberal and very American, and I'll keep my Ford, thanks. :ylsmoke:

I'm very conservative and very north european, although a legal immigrant and I'll keep my Syncro and dream of being able stuff a 7.3 under the lid!

RR1

Explorer

Since when does brand preference define one's political standings!? I dunno, seems like both the Liberals and the Conservatives are destroying America...but that is a different topic...

I own a couple few vehicles....one German, three Austrians, two Japanese and one American...must make me a commie or sumthing...ha ha...

Dude.... American vans are totally radical!

Not creepy at all...:ylsmoke:

http://www.vandolerosvanclub.blogspot.com/

6078822330_77823f7ac7_b.jpg

Last edited:

jfarsang

Adventurer

Nissan Patrol and Toyota Landcruiser (the real one). 4.2TD Diesel engines are nicknamed 1 million mile engines because they go forever. literally. that's some good Japanese machinery right there :chef:

Hayduke950

Observer
Nissan Patrol and Toyota Landcruiser (the real one). 4.2TD Diesel engines are nicknamed 1 million mile engines because they go forever. literally. that's some good Japanese machinery right there :chef:

That's great. Nothing against japanese vehicles; I've owned many, and just recently sold my Trooper (sad about that). In fact, this van is the first American vehicle I've owned in a long long time. I'm just saying that the build quality and and reliability seems every bit as good as the Japenese vehicles I've owned, and better than the VW Jetta I also own.

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
better than the VW Jetta I also own.

Ha ha...that isn't saying much! We had a Jetta, one of the absolute worse cars that we have ever owned.

I have been looking at American vehicles lately. I am liking the new Chevys....the only thing that would keep me from getting one, is no manual transmission.
Then again an auto may be ok, if (when) I get injured from a high speed get off, from the moto. :ylsmoke:

I really like this setup. Simple, clean, V-8, and go fast suspension.

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1109or_chevy_silverado_1500_plan_b/index.html

1109or-06+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+camper.jpg

1109or-16+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+rear.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman