Synthetic v Steel Winch Line

Howski

I'm looking at purchasing a winch in the next few weeks and am trying to decide between one with synthetic and one without. The superwinch lp8500 has regular steel line and the smittybilt xrc8 comp has synthetic line. The smittybilt is about $80 more. I would probably only use this a few times a year so would I really need the synthetic line?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
For an $80 dofference, I'd go with the synthetic.

I have used both, and the synthetic is so much nicer to work with!

Some advantages of synthetic are:

Does not 'recoil' if the line should break

Does not get 'slivers' in that snag gloves, get into your hands

Does not 'rat nest' on the drum

It floats

I only use my winch a few times a year, and I won't go back to a standard wire rope.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'd go with the better winch instead of making a decision based on the line. Get a winch, use it, determine if you want a different line or not later on.

PolarXJ

Observer
I'd have to agree with I Leak oil. Get the better winch, use the steel cable until it wears out and upgrade then to a synthetic.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
The Superwinch Lp8500 is made for SP by T-max and branded (take note of the 235:1 gear set to suite the smaller motor from the EP9) It's a good winch for the money and is pretty damn tough. I don't see many in for breakage, just servicing

The Smittybuilt is a branded ATMEW 9000 with a different solenoid box. Again not a bad winch, but needs cleaning and servicing a lot more regulalry

Both have crappy galvanised aircraft cable - not proper steel wire.

Go for synthetic every time but go quality, Amsteel blue, Viking, Plasma 12

As for a winch, not sure if these are readily available in the US but:

Superwinch EP9

TDS Goldfish/TDS Mako (the Mako is the Aussie name for the Goldfish - UK branding versus Aussie; "ooh look a Goldfish!" compared to "yeah, I've got a Mako in my truck!")

T-max stuff is good, no matter what some folk say, it's easy to work on and easy to fix

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
The synthetic that comes on the smitty built is not exactly a rope that I would want to be using more then once. Last time I saw one of those ropes I wasn't exactly impressed. The rope felt flimsy and cheesy in my hands, I am not sure what rope they are using but I can tell you that it isn't Amsteel Blue (Samson Rope, what Viking uses), most likely it is a cheep imitator from China or some other country. I would look into a quality winch and then upgrade to a good synthetic rope after that.

-Alex

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Another vote for buying a winch based on the winch, not what kind of rope is on it.

FWIW, I've been winching for well over 30 years [it's a slow winch ;) ], always with wire rope, on up to 15-20 ton winches. I still use wire rope as I've never had one break and have read too many reports of synthetic breaking.

That said, I can see nothing wrong with synthetic unless you think you might winch in a situation, like a very steep hill, where you could loose your vehicle if the rope breaks.
If you're just getting yourself unstuck, it's not a big deal if the rope breaks.

Master pull with a safety thimble spliced on the end. They were great to work with. I sent my safety thimble to them and they set everything up withthe superline XD.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I'd have to agree with I Leak oil. Get the better winch, use the steel cable until it wears out and upgrade then to a synthetic.

Only problem with that, is the wire rope 'chews up' the drum.

When I recieved my synthetic line, (Master Pull Superline XD) I was going to do just that, remove the wire rope and spool on the synthetic.

The wire rope left so many nicks and burrs on the spool, that I couldn't justify spooling the synthetic on, and take a chance of ruining it.

I do agree with buying the winch for the winch and not the line.

Not all inexpensive winches are bad, but I have no experience with those brands.

As far as synthetic line breaking, getting a line from a reputable source will ease those fears. Also, just like any other kit, proper care, inspection and replacement, will help longevity/saftey.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Only problem with that, is the wire rope 'chews up' the drum.

When I recieved my synthetic line, (Master Pull Superline XD) I was going to do just that, remove the wire rope and spool on the synthetic.

The wire rope left so many nicks and burrs on the spool, that I couldn't justify spooling the synthetic on, and take a chance of ruining it.

I do agree with buying the winch for the winch and not the line.

Not all inexpensive winches are bad, but I have no experience with those brands.

As far as synthetic line breaking, getting a line from a reputable source will ease those fears. Also, just like any other kit, proper care, inspection and replacement, will help longevity/saftey.

If the drum is all knicked up you can take some sandpaper or a flap wheel to it and gently smooth it out. Same goes for pulley blocks or roller fairleads.

-Alex

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
If the drum is all knicked up you can take some sandpaper or a flap wheel to it and gently smooth it out. Same goes for pulley blocks or roller fairleads.

-Alex

That thought entered my mind, but I got a screaming deal on a WARN winch:coffeedrink:

So the synthetic went on the Warn, and the new wire rope (that came with the Warn) went on my old winch, which went on the utility trailer. Win-win!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure the synthetic rope used in the Overland Journal winch test was from a reputable dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12