Synthetic v Steel Winch Line

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
In cold weather with synthetic you are screwed. A big hunk of frozen ice synthetic mess.

-Sam

Synthetic ropes were first developed for use by Bering Sea Fishermen 20+ years ago, they can handle extreme weather conditions. Ropes like our Superline and Superline XD have a very tight weave which makes it difficult for snow and ice to get between the fibers. The original rope (Amsteel Blue) is much looser, but still should be alright in the snow and ice.

-Alex

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
In cold weather with synthetic you are screwed. A big hunk of frozen ice synthetic mess.

That has not been my experience with it in the least bit. In fact, it's been one of the only reason's why I prefer synthetic over wire.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Only problem with that, is the wire rope 'chews up' the drum.

When I recieved my synthetic line, (Master Pull Superline XD) I was going to do just that, remove the wire rope and spool on the synthetic.

The wire rope left so many nicks and burrs on the spool, that I couldn't justify spooling the synthetic on, and take a chance of ruining it.

I do agree with buying the winch for the winch and not the line.

Not all inexpensive winches are bad, but I have no experience with those brands.

As far as synthetic line breaking, getting a line from a reputable source will ease those fears. Also, just like any other kit, proper care, inspection and replacement, will help longevity/saftey.

FWIW my first syn rope, ORO, lasted three years before snapping on a tough recovery event. As claimed, and it was under heavy heavy stress load, it just laid down right after it snapped.

Using the MP Superline XD now and it is truly super! I don't miss having to wash the accumulated mud/dirt/sand/grit from the prior syn rope after every trip where the winch was used (almost every trip ;-)

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper

-Sam

I also have never had a problem in the snow and ice. I use my winch a lot during the winter.

It's so easy to slide off the trail when snow wheeling, not to mention the road:snorkel:

I love the extra covering of the XD line!!

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Synthetic ropes were first developed for use by Bering Sea Fishermen 20+ years ago, they can handle extreme weather conditions. Ropes like our Superline and Superline XD have a very tight weave which makes it difficult for snow and ice to get between the fibers. The original rope (Amsteel Blue) is much looser, but still should be alright in the snow and ice.

-Alex

Sounds like everyone is having good success with there syn ropes in cold temps. It's nearly time to upgrade my wire.

Before I take the plunge and contact Alex does anyone have some old syn rope I can use to get a feel if it's for me?

Thanks
-Sam

freeze

Adventurer
Also dressing the line in the drum is much easier with a synthetic line. Synthetic also has zero elongation, so re-dressing the line is a non-issue to take out the elongation where a steel line has 5% elongation and needs to be re-dressed at least every other month with a 900LB ballast to stretch it out. Even with synthetic it's important to always dress the line in the drum.

Does not get 'slivers' in that snag gloves, get into your hands

Still a good idea to wear gloves no matter, the synthetic line will pick up odd sticks, burs, etc...will snag your hands as well.

T-max stuff is good, no matter what some folk say, it's easy to work on and easy to fix

Also the T-Max as very little run-on (once you let go of the controller the winch stops almost immediately) which Warn has a quite the run-on which in some instances can be difficult to control.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Even with synthetic rope it is a good idea to wear gloves, you never know what your line could pick up as it was dragging on the ground.

-Alex

AndrewP

Explorer
Another vote for buying a winch based on the winch, not what kind of rope is on it.

FWIW, I've been winching for well over 30 years [it's a slow winch ;) ], always with wire rope, on up to 15-20 ton winches. I still use wire rope as I've never had one break and have read too many reports of synthetic breaking.

And I thought it was just me.

For the OP--I would go a different direction all together and buy a better winch. A used Warn will be better than a new made in China copy of a copy. Warn has great customer service and comprehensive spare parts even for very old winches. Some of the Superwinch Husky winches have a good rep in ROver circles.

I like steel cable too. If your truck sits outside in the weather and sun you want steel cable. If it lives in a garage, or you are religious about keeping it covered, synthetic is good. I personally have not seen steel cable break, and have seen synthetic break a number of times. Still, broken steel cable is dangerous and broken synthetic rope is less so. Personally, I lust after that Superline XD for my 8274, but for now still run the steel. Maybe for next year!

Really though, buy a good winch, and then worry about the cable.

Howski

Thanks for all the responses. Think I'm gona go with the superwinch and upgrade to synthetic line later on. I'd obviously like to get a better winch too but I just can't afford it now.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for all the responses. Think I'm gona go with the superwinch and upgrade to synthetic line later on. I'd obviously like to get a better winch too but I just can't afford it now.

Despite what some may say, I have had great success with my superwinch 9.0 EP. It might not be the fastest winch out there, but it will get the job done and it keeps pulling, I have had a few warns break on my friends rigs (usually a solenoid issue), and multiple t maxx's have let go at the shop and on the trail.

-Alex

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I love my Warn, but my first winch was a Champion 7500#:snorkel:

$200 at Sams Club, brand new. Came with roller fairlead, universail mounting channel, 12' remote and snatch block!

That was 3 rigs and 8 years ago! It's now mounted on my car hauling trailer. It's really slow, but it works!!

I did replace the motor 4 years ago, that cost under $100 shipped.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Have you checked eBay and craigslist for used winches? I got a Ramsey RE10000 in good shape off ebay some years back for $200 and last year bought a Warn 8270 off craigslist for $200, rough shape but still worked fine. The Warn even came with a Warn HD winch bumper, that I need to sell since it fits a mid-80's Ford PU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179