Synthetic Which Rope

Simons

Adventurer
Yeah it's definitely not because the synthetic line is too weak, the smaller Viking 3/8" synthetic claims a breaking strength of 19600lbs.

I have synthetic on my warn 2500 ATV winch (aliminum drum and fairlead) it's nice and light, easy on the hands, and I think it even floats. If you break it you can knot it back together to get you out.

My $0.02 -
If you've got the cash for the synthetic rope go for it! As long as you don't plan to winch across rocks or drag it across the edge of a ditch all the time you'll love it! (if you do, buy the extra friction guards) Make sure the drum is nice and smooth, no burrs to damage the rope, and replace your roller fairlead with an aluminum hawse type.

Expedition Leader
A roller fairlead works fine with synthetic rope, as long as the rollers are new and not nicked/cut-up. Been using one for years myself:

IMG_0785.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
I use a standard Warn fairlead (before all the cool aluminum ones came out). I took a file and knocked off any rough edges. That was in 2003, no problems since.

X2 on the Roller fairlead. Should be fine it its new. Also you can buy polymer rollers.

911regular

Adventurer
I just recently damaged my metal winch line and was looking to upgrade to a synthetic line,so I guess i will give Viking a call and order a line and a hawse fairlead. Between the line and fairlead I will shed a little over 30 pounds from it.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Go for it....I recently put my steel cable back on to do some tree work and quickly remembered why I like synthetic for recovery SOOOOOO much more. I'll never go back to cable for recovery if I don't have to.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I put on my first synthetic last fall. I have done one serious recovery with it and a bunch of work on the property, namely skidding logs, helping take trees down in a controlled manner, etc...

It is SO much easier to use. Talk about safety, weight, etc... all you want...what I have found is that Synthetic is just so much easier to use, there is absolutely no comparison. I am sure it will not last as long, because I treat it pretty rough, but still very much worth it... at this point anyway:)

Simons

Adventurer
A roller fairlead works fine with synthetic rope, as long as the rollers are new and not nicked/cut-up. Been using one for years myself:

IMG_0785.jpg

No doubt! That's a bit of a teaser pic of your I'll guess FJ40? Is the rest of it that clean?

Ramjet

Explorer
No doubt! That's a bit of a teaser pic of your I'll guess FJ40? Is the rest of it that clean?

When he washes it. It's actually a very clean FJ40. I know there are several pictures here on Expo of it. I would check the LandCruiser Pic thread.

Eventhough

Explorer
I own a Warn 16.5 Ti and Warn said it is NOT compatible with synthetic lines, but did not give any reason why. Does anyone know why it is not compatible? It has a built in temp monitor, so I do not think over heating is an issue, I am at a loss.

Warn has synthetic lines that far exceed a 16.5 's rating, and most aftermarket synthetic lines (Viking, etc,,,,) easily handle the load,,,just not sure why that particular winch is left out of the synthetic club,,,,and no real answer from Warn as to why not.

It is due to the constricting nature of synthetic line which is exaggerated on very strong winches. The synthetic line can dent/damage the drum.

What is the maximum strength of the warn synthetic winch rope? If the pulling power of the 16.5k winch exceeds the rope strength then they would recommend against it.

Not sure on warn, but Samson's Amsteel Blue is available in a 5" diameter with 2.69 MILLION lb average break strength.

Just sayin, if they don't make a big fat 1/2" synth rope for the 16k winch, it makes sense for them to recommend against using one.

It is not so much Warn's version of syn line, but any syn line.

Overland Journal had a winch review IIRC several years ago where a winch drum was damaged by synthetic line.

Expedition Leader

When he washes it. It's actually a very clean FJ40. I know there are several pictures here on Expo of it. I would check the LandCruiser Pic thread.

LOL, Jason is right, I drive it almost every day and don't wash it a lot. I'm out on a drilling rig right now with low-speed, narrow-bandwidth internet or I would post some more photos, but as Jason says there are plenty in other threads here.

Ramjet

Explorer
Shortage of Winchline

Well, I've been looking at upgrading but there seems to be a shortage of 3/8 100' Winchline all over. Everything at Viking, Amsteel Blue, elsewhere seems to be on back order. Anyone from these reputable companies want to chime please do do. Thanks

Eventhough

Explorer
I don't know of any shortage. The material these companies use is produced by several factories depending on the manufacturer they use.

Ramjet

Explorer
I did find some available but none with the Safety Thimble. I just don't want to buy the line, then have to buy the Factor55 safety thimble as well.

ih8philly

Adventurer
I did find some available but none with the Safety Thimble. I just don't want to buy the line, then have to buy the Factor55 safety thimble as well.

I pm'd Master Pull a week ago and they said they were out of safety thimbles until early June. If you shoot him a PM he will email you when they are back in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle