Synthetic Which Rope

LR Max

Local Oaf
Well, I've been looking at upgrading but there seems to be a shortage of 3/8 100' Winchline all over. Everything at Viking, Amsteel Blue, elsewhere seems to be on back order. Anyone from these reputable companies want to chime please do do. Thanks

I call shenanigans. Call Steve at Southeast Overland. No crap, good price, quick response.

He has all the rope sizes, different colors, all the thimbles. I think he has those Masterpull safety thimble thingies. I think he can do custom stuff too since he makes everything in house.

Their new store is pretty baller as well. Hope to make it up there at some point soon.

Last edited:

Campndad

Essayons!!
I call shenanigans. Call Steve at Southeast Overland. No crap, good price, quick response.

He has all the rope sizes, different colors, all the thimbles. I think he has those Masterpull safety thimble thingies. I think he can do custom stuff too since he makes everything in house.

Their new store is pretty baller as well. Hope to make it up there at some point soon.

I agree with LRmax. Steve is great to deal with. He goes the extra mile to make sure what your are getting is what will work for your rig.

cactusjk

Explorer
Getting ready to instal a 3/8" Viking line on my Warn XD9000 and noticed Viking does not use heat shields on the drum end. Is this a problem?

onetraveller

Adventurer
I'd call Warn and ask them. They don't offer a synthetic line version of the XD9000 winches. It'd be interesting to know why.

Mike

FlyFishermen

Observer
I would not recommend putting synthetic line on a standard winch (brake in the drum) if you are going to winch much. The heat will damage the line the first time it gets hot. It may not render it useless, but the synthetic line will loose a lot of strength. You may want to check with Warn and see what they have to say.

That having been said, both of my winches run synthetic line (superwinch Talon and Terra). For a winch line I will never use anything but synthetic now. For utility stuff I will still use steel cable some, for a variety of reasons, but the winch providing the power will always have synthetic line.

I have been using the Terra more than the Talon and I can tell you the winch really gets warm when running much. The Talon and Terra both are designed for synthetic - the brake is in the gear box, away from the drum. There is little heat transfer to the drum and thus the winch line.

cactusjk

Explorer
Synthetic with the XD9000 is fine. Just don't power out other than to relieve tension. Winching in does not heat the drum.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I disagree. I've run my winch on two full pulls back to back. The solenoids gave out before I had any "melting". Winch was HOT to the touch. I guess if you are spooling out 100ft, then yes it might get too hot. But then again, I've never done this because I never need to.

Also if you are worried, they sell heat shields.

Syn rope is so much better than cable. Its a no brainer. Easier to handle. Doesn't go all over the place in giant pain in the rear loops. Easier to unspool. Safe. When it breaks, you can fix it easily. If you cross it on the drum, it doesn't create a weak spot.

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to put out that melting should not happen with winching in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xplrn42

Adventurer
I've had melted material left on my fairlead (hawse) from a very hard pull using synthetic on a VR10000 winch.

FlyFishermen

Observer
It may not necessarily "melt" the synthetic line, but there could still be some damage to the fibers from the elevated temperatures. I would be curious of what the degradation temp is for Amsteel or other lines. A combination of heat and tension is sure to do some damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle