t4rFL's 06 Tundra Build

t4rFL

Adventurer
Here is my lastest purchase, a 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L V8 with 193k miles. I bought it as a fixer-upper, wasn't able to test drive it, needs brakes cv and r&p boots, valve cover gasket. I bought it for a steal at $5300, so far I spent less than $1000 on replacement parts, not including other mods.

20220522_191931.jpg
20220522_191954.jpg
20220522_191753.jpg
20220522_192050.jpg

t4rFL

Adventurer
Truck is sitting at a friend's shop until I can buy all the parts I need to drive it. Right after buying the truck I lost my job, so money has been tight, at least until I sold my Ram 1500. Writing this I have ordered everything I need to drive it home, just waiting for the parts to come in. Meanwhile I did some other small fixes/mods.

The bed has a dent on the side and the driver side fender was damaged. Found this replacement at a junk yard for about $100.
20220601_205707.jpg

Love the classic Toyota grille look, I have the same thing on my 4runner.
20220601_205801.jpg

t4rFL

Adventurer
After some body work, received all of my parts and got them installed in a few days.

Powerstop Z36 pads/rotors
Callahan calipers
Bendix drums
Acdelco shoes
Wheeler's front/rear stainless steel brake lines
OEM cv boots and steering rack boots
Apex valve cover gaskets w/ oil change
Walker Quiet-flow exhaust
Rear axle breather extension
junkyard factory airbox
Weathertech front floor liners
hub-centric 2" wheel spacers (old ones were not hub-centric)
LED's from Super Bright LEDS
new tailgate cables

20220617_221132.jpg

Kpack

Adventurer
Nice collection of maintenance items that crossed off the list. Well done.

What is your plan for the truck? What do you want to do with it?

t4rFL

Adventurer
Nice collection of maintenance items that crossed off the list. Well done.

What is your plan for the truck? What do you want to do with it?

Right now the daily/tow rig. Also depending on the type of trip I take will depend on the vehicle I take, like moderate-easy off-roading I would take this truck, if it's a trip for moderate-difficult wheeling I would take the 4runner, that's my trail rig.

So i would have liked to buy a clean stock Tundra, but couldn't pass up this deal. This one came with a 2" Bilstein lift and 285/70/17 tires with 2" spacers. I'm not a fan of spacers especially 2" ones, so my plan is to get wheels with a neg. offset and/or get skinny tires like a 255/80. For now I'm running with what I have. And the wheels will either be bronze or grey.

I think i'd like to keep the lift at 2" no more than 3", but right now the rear is sitting on blocks, I would like to upgrade the lift. I am new to leaf springs so I'm not sure the lift I want yet. I also want to add Firestone airbags for towing. I tow a 20' boat and occasionally my 4runner.

I had a bed cap on my last truck, and don't think i want to go that route at least for now, so I am considering buying a Soft-topper. I'm a fan of sleeping in the bed vs a ground tent.

My last truck I had a brush guard with a winch, this time I think i'll get a winch bumper like Brute Force. And then maybe some sliders.

Next time I need brakes I will do the GX460 BBU.

The 1st major thing I am upgrading is the speakers and headunit, currently have no bass.

smokeysevin

Observer
Bags are great, stock leaf springs are real bouncy. Deaver G57 leaf springs are softer than you would want to run if you plan on towing, I learned that the hard way. You can delete the overload leaf and do a mini-pack in place of it which is kind of the best of both worlds but even still, I would run bags. I really like the airlift dominator bags I run with the daystar cradles but its a custom setup.

Sean

t4rFL

Adventurer
Since my last post in July 2022:

Replaced knock sensors and starter
LBJ's
From a 2" wheel spacer to 1.23"
OEM wheels painted in charcoal
New headlights/corner lights/fog lights
mini projector mod
Paint-matched grille
bought a used toolbox for the bed
Aisin timing belt and water pump

MAK_0913 by Mike, on Flickr

MAK_0929 by Mike, on Flickr

MAK_0936 by Mike, on Flickr

MAK_1055 by Mike, on Flickr

MAK_1076 by Mike, on Flickr

MAK_1089 by Mike, on Flickr

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Looks even better! I like the color-matched grill. Did the smaller wheel spacers bring the wheels in or were they to keep the same offset with the new wheels?

t4rFL

Adventurer
Looks even better! I like the color-matched grill. Did the smaller wheel spacers bring the wheels in or were they to keep the same offset with the new wheels?

I have noticed a difference in wheel spacers while driving and looks, but I didn't replace the spacers with the OEM wheel. It was a while between switching to the 1.23" spacers and changing the wheels, so I don't notice any difference between the after market wheels and OEM, just between the 2 size spacers, if that makes sense.

And I recently rolled over 200k miles and got a free sticker from Toyota, 200k mileage club
thumbnail.jpg

smokeysevin

Observer
What is the light pattern like on the mini projectors? My wife's highlander could really use better lights but I don't know that I want to do another full retrofit like on my truck.

Sean

t4rFL

Adventurer
There's a noticeable cut off line and the lights have a blueish tint to them when reflecting off of signs. First pic before making headlight adjustments, 2nd pic after adjusting the headlights to the best I could. The aftermarket headlights didn't want to adjust anymore. The projector also has it's own adjustment. I am considering doing this to my 4runner as well.
projectorsbefore.jpg

projectors after.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online