Tacoma Air Bag Rant! :(

sargeek

Adventurer
Last month my Air Bag light came on, and I really didn't think much about it. So yesterday, I went to my local independent Toyota shop to get the oil changed, and run the diagnostics run on the air bag light. So I forked over $140 so they find the problem, and its not the spiral wire.

I appears that the connection on the front left airbag sensor is corroded. The repair for the problem is over $3K. To make the repair, they need to order a new wiring harness at $1900.00 and then spend 12 hours of shop time to remove and replace it. The harness runs from the left front, back through the firewall, across the inside of the cab behind the dash, and back to the front.

If it was any other electrical component, they would cut the harness, and splice in a new pig tail. However, since it is part of the air bag system, they cannot make a repair, but need to replace the harness.

I am not really impress, it is only a 2006, and I don't want to spend the next five years looking at the airbag light. Makes me want to go to the junk yard, find a sensor and remove the connector, and a healthy section of wiring harness, and splice and solder it in.

I will take it and get a couple of additional estimates, but its a crazy amount to pay for a simple repair.

Suggestions welcome.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Before I spliced it I would just look at the light. Either way it may or may not go off in an accident. However I sure as heck wouldnt want it to go off for no reason while I was driving. And there is always the liability issue. You sell it with a spliced harness, someone else has an accident & it doesnt deploy? I wouldnt want that grief.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Personally, I don't see the issue if you do the soldering work yourself. Just do a continuity check prior to completing the work. $1900 for a wiring harness is nuts.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
As an ex-safety automotive engineer, I would never splice into the airbag system.
I would get that part number and search for a replacement that come off a truck that was not involved in a front end crash.
Have you checked your insurance company to see if they will cover this type of issue?

voodoojk

Adventurer
If it just a sensor then you should be able to just replace that? Shouldn't need an entire harness. Or just pull the sensor off and pull the pins and replace the pins. I'm very surprised Toyota doesn't have a repair kit of some type

Audi/vw had a TSB With their air bag harness where they had to solder wires to make the harness longer so taking that rout is def doable but wouldn't use anything but the best connectors and solder!

sargeek

Adventurer
more info

The tech said it was primarily in the harness at the connector on the front. According to the information I have it is the primary wiring harness for the vehicle. In the loom are the headlight, turn signals, and all of the other major wires for the vehicle. The extensive labor is due to the fact that the technician has to remove and replace the entire dash board to get to it. Bad news any way around it. I am surprised that it is an issue.

I need to look at some of the other information out their. Since it is a primary safety system, I surprised they don't warranty the air bag system a bit longer.

What would the claim for the insurance company be?

Jersey4x4

Adventurer
In the UK the hilux has just been safety recalled due to this problem I thought the same would of happened in the US?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BrutalGuyRacing

You can read airbag codes with a jumper wire
Swap out the sensor from the other side and then recheck the code
You can also clear this code
And if its a hard code you will need to remove the center air bag controller and send it out to be cleared for around $50
Hope this helps

sargeek

Adventurer
Everything helps - due to a busy week at work, I will not be able to get the second opinion until next week. I will post additional information as it develops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998