Tacoma bed kit builds?

bassfishindoc

How do you guys keep these areas dry and free of dust? I just got my Leer 100 RCC topper installed and there are gaps at the base of the rear hatch. Plus, the tailgait is not water/dust proof. Are there kits to seal up the back of these trucks as I would hate to put all this gear into my Taco and have it get ruined with water and dust.

How do you guys keep these areas dry and free of dust? I just got my Leer 100 RCC topper installed and there are gaps at the base of the rear hatch. Plus, the tailgait is not water/dust proof. Are there kits to seal up the back of these trucks as I would hate to put all this gear into my Taco and have it get ruined with water and dust.

There are seal kits but they are kinda expensive for what they do. I took two strips from my egg crate foam mat and closed the tail gate on them. I went all through a very dusty Moab for a week w/o any major dust in the shell where I slept. Worked better than I would have thought.

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover

I purchased a seal kit (http://shop.agricover.com/product/trailseal). It seals very well. Still get minimal dust in there but its really not that noticeable during a trip.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Lots of good ideas!

Just as a note on those Reliance Jugs: Not sure if they have changed that model recently, but mine, (purchased 8 years ago) has a really small push-in plug on the back side to release vacuum. It is terrible. The back of my 4runner gets soaked on ANY 4wd road until the jug is down at 1/2 or less. Anything more than that and the sloshing water slops past that thing. The only solution I found was PTFE tape around the plug and duct tape to hold it in place. And, I had to go around the whole jug to get the tape to hold.

I have since purchased a different model. I found that to be too much of a pain, plus I was loosing a fair amount of water, which isn't ideal for desert trips.

Your experience may be different, but thought it was worth a mention.

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
Lots of good ideas!

Just as a note on those Reliance Jugs: Not sure if they have changed that model recently, but mine, (purchased 8 years ago) has a really small push-in plug on the back side to release vacuum. It is terrible. The back of my 4runner gets soaked on ANY 4wd road until the jug is down at 1/2 or less. Anything more than that and the sloshing water slops past that thing. The only solution I found was PTFE tape around the plug and duct tape to hold it in place. And, I had to go around the whole jug to get the tape to hold.

I have since purchased a different model. I found that to be too much of a pain, plus I was loosing a fair amount of water, which isn't ideal for desert trips.

An option would be to maybe thread a barb into the existing hole then cap. I will post pics of what I mean tomorrow. I had an issue with the tanks I purchased not being vented and that's what I did. No leaking yet.

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
Here is what I was talking about last night with pics below. I purchased this http://www.hardwareworld.com/Barb-Adapter-18-x-14-inch-pC442IA.aspx?gclid=CjkKEQjwwbCcBRCxvJn9-N6dorwBEiQAVriOiihDVJ69q9tVHX1TRUwxTR9ITAOaL0Y9FOyolpYhN-3w_wcB from a local hardware store and capped it with this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-autograde-1-4-in.-red-vinyl-vacuum-cap-650-013/22145224-P also from a local hardware store. I used an awl to make a small hole in the caps and then inserted some cordage with a knot into the cap so I could pull them off easily. Just an idea but it works great for me.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader

the above link has a little on the seal: http://www.bajataco.com/camper/camper_seal/index.htm

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got one of the tailgate seals on mine and it does help some but the Taco beds have lots of places for dust to enter them though; there are gaps in the bed and around all of the various openings. I pulled the inserts (the two pockets and the two compartments) and put a thin gasket on the back of them. I also put tape over any where that it looked like dust would enter. Also make sure your shell window seals are intact (the rubber or felt between the sliding sections of glass; over time they get compressed and leak. If you really want to check, have someone climb under the truck with a flashlight while you stay in the bed and looks for any light leaks; this is easier at night obviously. That said, I generally put any gear or clothing I don't want getting dusty inside some sort of bag or case, a trash bag will work too.

treadstone

Observer
Lots of good ideas!

I opted to go with a couple of the Skilcraft water cans, and attach a Living Overland faucet to the one I am drawing water from. The second will be a reserve.
http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF....aft-Water-Can-Desert-Tan--5-gal&ItemID=906396
http://www.livingoverland.com/p/store.html

taco_tay

Adventurer
What kinda of $$ do you think you have invested in that platform? All the marine grade plywood can't be cheap along with everything else. Very clean and professional. If it wasn't too spendy might to do something similar is my 00 taco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger