Take me to Suburban School

High Center

Adventurer
So- I have recently acquired a 27' travel trailer that easily outclasses my Disco in terms of towing. I see this as an excuse to get my hands on a square body Suburban. I have always loved those tough American iron barges.

We will be towing the trailer out west from Georgia. I expect the truck to be able to tackle mild trails and fire roads once the trailer is parked.

Here is what I think I want:

Diesel
4X4
Barn doors
Third row seats

pretty simple demands....

Now, school me on Burbans please and feel free to eviscerate my opinions (as spare as they may seem.) I'm looking for years to concentrate on, options to avoid, required mods etc...

Thanks Gents,
HC

Rot Box

Explorer
The only diesel avaliable in the square body style suburbans was the 6.2 V8. I like 6.2's so dont take this the wrong way but even with an aftermarket turbocharger pulling a trailer that size would be nothing short of miserable in the mountains and on the freeway as they are very low on power. A later 6.5TD Suburban with the cooling system upgrades might fit your needs better if you must have a diesel engine. Aside from that I'd look into a 454 or an engine swap if you want to get carried away.

I would look for the higher gvw 3/4ton because they were much better equipped from the factory in terms of drive train strength.

Andrew

Revco

Adventurer
454 will outpull the 6.2 by a landslide. If you find the right 6.2 Burb and want more diesel power and great fuel mileage, look into swapping a 5.9 12V Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I'll sell you my '93 K2500 Suburban 4x4 454 Auto OD :smiley_drive:

It's not a square body, but it is a pulling machine and very capable offroad. I just need a truck bed, otherwise I'd keep it.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
I agree on the 6.5 over the 6.2. Not only would you get more power, but you'd still have a squarish body, as well as an updated interior and they are available with rear barn doors.

Willy G

Adventurer
3rd on the 6.5 over the 6.2, but they still lack in power, I raced a 89 Chevy 6.2 vs my 99 GMC 350, and I dogged him so bad it wasn't even funny, but if you aren't worried about fuel mileage I would go with the 454, find one and swap in a 8.1 or other LS motor, and If it is only for pulling this trailer go to a 3/4 ton class, or for daily driving go with the 1/2 ton and get helper springs,

Barn Doors are the only way to go, same with the 4x4 part as well.

My $0.02

Will

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Personally I'm not trying to race while pulling a trailer so I like my setup. 91 (last of the square body) 350 (getting 21mpg highway), 4L80E (only square body year that had it and in a 2500), rear A/C. With that being said, I'd still love to swap in a 12valve.

ctb619

Personally I'm not trying to race while pulling a trailer so I like my setup. 91 (last of the square body) 350 (getting 21mpg highway), 4L80E (only square body year that had it and in a 2500), rear A/C. With that being said, I'd still love to swap in a 12valve.

That's impressive. Would love to hear what set-up is producing those mpg results.

Route55

Adventurer
I think you are on the right track with the square body. Although a bit more rust prone than later years, you get a solid front axle, leaf springs, and is one of those trucks you can fix most anything with a cresent wrench and a couple of screwdrivers. Simple, and stronger aftermarket support than the 92 and newer models.

I agree on the 3/4 ton 4x4 like others have said. Bone stock I'd look for a diesel or 87-91 TBI unit. Personally I'm a fan of manual trannys, but if you want auto 91 is the way to go so you get OD.

A 6.5 swaps in very easily, cummins is a bit more work. A 4bt cummins will pull 20-30 mpg no problem in that rig and is an easier swap.

LIVEanimals

Observer
I love my 90 V2500, except for the fuel mileage (10 mpg). It's got a th400 in it and a TBI 350. As far as towning it'll do it but it struggles (TBIs were horribly under powered from the factory). I would like to one day do a 12V swap, but if that's not in your future the 454 burb is the way to go except you can't get it in a 4x4 square sub unless someone swapped one in for ya. As far as off the road mine has gone everywhere I've asked it to without even batting an eye, it's no rock crawler but still handled a couple ATV trails (accidental)up in the woods, even went through a foot of snow with breaking one tire loose.

Clutch

<---Pass
...or a Ford Excursion with the 7.3. :snorkel:

It will pull that 27' TT no problem, no fussing with engine swaps either.

Diesel: Yes
4X4: Yes
Barn doors: Yes/No 1/2 barn doors
Third row seats: Yes

pretty simple demands....

2002_ford_excursion_8_lift_baja_prerunner_7_3l_1_owner_95627754646632688.jpg

82fb

Adventurer
That's impressive. Would love to hear what set-up is producing those mpg results.

Having had a 90, 5.7, 4l60e burb, and getting 13-14mpg on a good running engine, I am thinking he must be going downhill with a tailwind everywhere.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Square body was not available with the 454 and 4 wheel drive. The 350 is the biggest gas engine available with 4x4.

Erik N

Adventurer
Having had a 90, 5.7, 4l60e burb, and getting 13-14mpg on a good running engine, I am thinking he must be going downhill with a tailwind everywhere.

I get 11mpg either doing 65mph downhill or idling along in 4 low. Go figure.

Square body was not available with the 454 and 4 wheel drive. The 350 is the biggest gas engine available with 4x4.

Also, the 3/4 ton 4x4 had substantially less towing capacity than the 2 wheel drive. IIRC, my '88 V20 4x4 w/ Turbo 400 AT and 4.10's can tow about 5000 lbs. It has the factory tow pkg and snowplow pkg.

I can pull some #'s from the owners manual in my 'Burb in about a month when I take it out from storage.

Attachments

• IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears