Take me to Suburban School

Rot Box

Explorer
Oops I didn't know the 454 was not available in Suburbans those years sorry for being misleading :eek:

I have dealt with the 6.2/6.5's quite a bit and spent time towing with them as well. Overall I've had good and bad luck with each from a reliability standpoint but one thing I always liked was the fuel economy and simplicity. While both engines are very similar the latest electronic 6.5's can produce pretty good power with the help of the aftermarket. A simple intake and full 3" exhaust makes a world of difference on them as the stock pieces are very restrictive. I had a 95 K2500 (F vin, 4.10's and 4L80E) and with an intake, exhaust and a #9 resistor in the injector pump it would out pull my stock 92 Cummins and my 91 IDI however it could not keep itself cool when it was working hard. Every time I pulled with that truck I watched the coolant temp without so much as blinking an eye lol. I was planning on the 96.5 and later cooling upgrades but ended up selling the truck before it happened I do highly recommend them though as all the early 6.5's suffer from building excessive heat. The updates consist of a higher gpm water pump and a dual thermostat housing..

I have never ridden in a 6.2 (turbocharged or n/a) that pulled a load good. I LOVE life in the slow lane and I rarely find myself in a hurry to get anywhere but trust me a 6.2 Suburban or crew cab with a big trailer behind brings new meaning to the word frustrating. If you do go the square body/6.2 route I would recommend finding a J code as they were updated in a few areas and came with heads that flowed a little better like the 6.5's. A 6.2 with a serpentine belt will typically be a J-code where as the V-belt 6.2's were typically C-code engines.

Again don't take this the wrong way if I were going to buy a Suburban I would still choose the 6.2 over the gasser. That said I don't own a 27' camp trailer that I plan to drag across the country :bike_rider:

http://www.forgottendiesels.com/gm_diesel.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine

rxm6

Observer
With regards to square body diesels, 3/4 ton suburbans came from the factory with a j-code 6.2 motor. The difference between the c-code and j-code engines are about 10-15hp due to the added emissions equipment and various settings. Also, later model, civilian 6.2's will have the serpentine belt systems, while all military 6.2 motors will have the original multi-belt setup.

Also, in regards to towing capacity,as mentioned earlier, 4x4 3/4 ton suburbans do have less towing capacity than a 2wd k20. This is because 3/4 ton suburbans came equipped with a semi-floating rear axle as opposed to a full-floater.

Finally, towing a larger trailer with a 6.2 will most likely be one of the most infuriating things you will ever do. However, off-road performance of a 6.2 is, in my opinion, fantastic. A 6.2 in 4lo is a fun thing.

There are upgrades for power and the square body trucks of this era are very easy to put anything into. 6.2s, 6.5s, and 6.5 optimizers are easiest as they are just drop in replacements. P400's are mostly drop in motors but need a custom oil pan and cummins motors require cross frame work and sometimes frame notching. You can also put any GM gas engine in. There is also a member on here (I think) who put a duramax in his truck.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
In regards to my fuel mileage, 91, 350 TBI, 4L80E, 241, 2500 (havnt popped the dif covers to check gears), 33X10.50X16.5 tires, stock manifolds with single in dual out flowmaster.

Definately not flat driving or downhill. And I checked my mileage with my GPS, even though the speedo has been calibrated to the tires.

There's a company who sells 5.3 and 6.0 turn key engines for a good price. Link is on my laptop but I think its "reno 5.3"

Erik N

Adventurer
My dad's 1990 or 91 K2500 pickup gets about 21 on the freeway.

It's gotta be that extra gear that makes the difference. My V20 feels like it's overrevving on the freeway, even though it's turning about 3200rpm IIRC.

Also, my dad's truck, with about 400lbs payload, shifts like it can read your mind.

High Center

Adventurer
Turning on the "way back machine" here-
I'm finally coming to the end of this deployment and am looking in earnest for that Sub I was asking about last year. My preferences remain with the 6.2. I will only be towing the trailer on the rare occasion. We've decided to make it (the trailer) our temporary "place in the mountains". The available economy to a well sorted 6.2 is hard to argue with and if I have to suffer through towing once in a great while it strikes me as a decent bargain. Further reading also suggests that (if maintained) these motors will last and return pretty good reliability- any thoughts?

While re-reading this thread I did come back across the TBI producing 21mpg. Has anyone else achieved anything close to that? Is it possible that the O/D could produce that dramatic of an increase?

I will (of course) be entertaining the idea in the future of swapping something in (that 4BT possibility seems intriguing) but I'll have to plan on keeping the set up as is for the near term.

I'm thinking that my sub will end up (insha'Allah) very similar to the Polar Bear...if I can conjure some of the talent that Larry displayed in building it.

I'm haunting Search Tempest daily- any suggestion or last minute "oh by the ways" would be appreciated.

Best,
DB

supermav

I am new here but yes I had a 90 1/2 ton with the overdrive that would 22 mpg. My current suburban is an 88 same basic rig is getting about 18 but is running a little rough. so it may be better after a good tune up. I have only had it a couple of weeks.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I have owned several suburbans. I have a soft spot for the 73-91....BUT.....the 98 is the one I chose for everything but playing in the mud and snow. The comfort level is so much nicer.

my 1990 2500 with a 150k TBI 350, sm465 and 235/85-16's on 3.73s gets 12 mpg all day long. Solid number I feel.
My 1998 gets 19 mpg on the highway and about 16 local. At a quarter million miles it shows no signs of stopping. It just floats down the road effortlessly.

Both are underpowered which is fine for everything but towing.

Replacement parts are dirt cheap for all of them.

73-91 barn doors only for me. I've sworn off K5s and tailgate subs after ample experience with both.
88-98 I still prefer the barn doors, but the tailgate models are acceptable to me.

my wife's 07 tahoe has left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to durability, but I still think I'd like to find an 8.1 2500 from 00-06 to add to my suburban collection. It really is a do all vehicle for where we live and what we do

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I had an '87 with a 383. (stroked 350) Had the short block built, added the top end from Summit racing MSD ign, on Edlebrock intake & heads, Holley throttle body. She was lifted 4" and ran on 35s with 4.56 gears. Trail wise, she would go anywhere she would fit. I could pull 18mpg on the highway @65mph, and she would pull my house off the foundation if I could hook her up. Miss that truck... rust. You could look for one from CA or AZ, somewhere dry should be rust free.

I usually get around 16mpg highway from mine and 12 in town and towing. I have a friend who drove it and got 19mpg on the highway. That was unloaded and I do not normally go on trips without having a full load or pulling a trailer. I put on about 1500 miles in one trip this past summer and averaged 14.5mpg on the trip, highway, city and dirt roads.

swamp_beast

well technically the 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban did have one engine larger than a 350 that was the 400 small block but was phased out in the late 70s( my 76 had one) but it isnt a choice i would recomend it ate more stock than my built 454 turning 4.56 gears and 35s does now. i pull an evg of 11 mpg the 400 barely got 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman