Talk me out of a Chevy Trail Boss Duramax 3.0

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
F250 XL with off-road package and 6.8L

Or

F250 XLT Tremor

šŸ˜
I keep going on Ford's build and Price and keep building those XL's with the off road pkg in the bronze color.

Then I look at my avatar and realize that it's probably too big for the off roading I want to do, just like my current truck is.

So, @rcintx as @ChasingOurTrunks our trunks mentioned, I will be accepting donations for my 2 door Jeep / Bronco use case vehicle. Thanks!

MotoDave

Explorer
IF you care, the 3.0 diesel is a lot worse than a 5.3 or 6.2 gas V8 in terms of emissions. I'm honestly not sure compared to a HD gas V8, since they don't need to meet the same emissions regs as a 1/2 ton gas, I wouldn't be surprised if they're even dirtier than the 1/2 ton diesel.

rcintx

Adventurer
So, @rcintx as @ChasingOurTrunks our trunks mentioned, I will be accepting donations for my 2 door Jeep / Bronco use case vehicle. Thanks!
Back to that ā€œwinning the lottoā€ comment. Iā€™d be glad to donate when I hit it! šŸ˜Ž
Side note.....how are the 6.2L engines doing in the Trail Boss trim?
On paper I think they are awesome. Lots of torque and HP. However, I have two friend that have them in Tahoeā€™s. Both have had lifter issues and high dollar repairs.
IF you care, the 3.0 diesel is a lot worse than a 5.3 or 6.2 gas V8 in terms of emissions. I'm honestly not sure compared to a HD gas V8, since they don't need to meet the same emissions regs as a 1/2 ton gas, I wouldn't be surprised if they're even dirtier than the 1/2 ton diesel.
I do care. Need to look at things from that angle. Thanks for pointing it out.

D45

Explorer
Thanks. I thought the 6.2L was having some issues......plus I think 91+ octane is recommended?

My 5.3L just turned 102,000 miles with no issues.......

rcintx

Adventurer
Ugh. Just got word from the mechanic shop. Engine in my Ram 1500 is toast. Life (timing) sure is funny (haha, right?!?) sometimes. I guess I am going to get it fixed. I don't think I can afford not to.

Thanks. I thought the 6.2L was having some issues......plus I think 91+ octane is recommended?

My 5.3L just turned 102,000 miles with no issues.......

I've got the 5.3 in a Suburban with just over 100k miles on it. Runs great in that platform as well.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ugh. Just got word from the mechanic shop. Engine in my Ram 1500 is toast. Life (timing) sure is funny (haha, right?!?) sometimes. I guess I am going to get it fixed. I don't think I can afford not to.

I've got the 5.3 in a Suburban with just over 100k miles on it. Runs great in that platform as well.
How many miles were on the Ram? Few of our company trucks have over 200,000 miles on their hemis. But, another crapped out at about 125,000. Not full crap out but for the cost of repairs, they might as well chucked a new engine in it.
Can't recall if it was the top end that went out on it.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

If you want the Silverado, the turbo 4 cylinder is better than the v8s or the diesel. Itā€™s a real shame that GM took arguably one of the most dependable long lasting motors ever- the 5.3, and ruined it.

rcintx

Adventurer
How many miles were on the Ram? Few of our company trucks have over 200,000 miles on their hemis. But, another crapped out at about 125,000. Not full crap out but for the cost of repairs, they might as well chucked a new engine in it.
Can't recall if it was the top end that went out on it.
162k. Typical cam and lifter issues that the internet says the Rams are prone to. Mechanic said he hoped it was just top end but there is metal in the oil pan and he said exactly what you just said. For the cost of the parts we can put a full replacement in it.
If you want the Silverado, the turbo 4 cylinder is better than the v8s or the diesel. Itā€™s a real shame that GM took arguably one of the most dependable long lasting motors ever- the 5.3, and ruined it.
I didnā€™t see the turbo 4 on the lot. I noticed they were cheaper online. What makes them better?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
162k. Typical cam and lifter issues that the internet says the Rams are prone to. Mechanic said he hoped it was just top end but there is metal in the oil pan and he said exactly what you just said. For the cost of the parts we can put a full replacement in it.

I didnā€™t see the turbo 4 on the lot. I noticed they were cheaper online. What makes them better?
Clean sheet design for starters. Itā€™s been out a few years and was designed from the get go to be a truck engine to compete with the ecoboost fords. Much better torque and at lower rpmā€™s than the gas motors. None of that cylinder deactivation stuff plaguing the v8s.

Dougnuts

Clean sheet design for starters. Itā€™s been out a few years and was designed from the get go to be a truck engine to compete with the ecoboost fords. Much better torque and at lower rpmā€™s than the gas motors. None of that cylinder deactivation stuff plaguing the v8s.

Lots of complaints of this engine not having enough power in a full size. Are you sure it doesnā€™t have cylinder deactivation? I read that it does, which contributes to the feeling of no power.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lots of complaints of this engine not having enough power in a full size. Are you sure it doesnā€™t have cylinder deactivation? I read that it does, which contributes to the feeling of no power.
I made an ASSumption on cylinder deactivation since itā€™s a 4 cylinder, I could be wrong on that. I was in a Silverado with the 5.3 and another with the 4 cylinder- exact trims on both trucks, same tires and everything- the 4 cylinder pulled better IMO.

ThundahBeagle

I'm surprised to hear the 3.0 diesel is worse on emissions than the 5.3 or 6.2 but I really dont know much about diesel.

I would love to get a k1500 gasser but that's out of my reach

Knock on wood my 2014 5.3 is up over a 190k and seems to be doing well.

Maybe the question for you is...if you FIX your Ram's timing, would you then just keep it and drive until the wheels fall off? What could you get for it in current condition as a trade in for that Trail Boss and would that be worth it?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm surprised to hear the 3.0 diesel is worse on emissions than the 5.3 or 6.2 but I really dont know much about diesel.

I would love to get a k1500 gasser but that's out of my reach

Knock on wood my 2014 5.3 is up over a 190k and seems to be doing well.

Maybe the question for you is...if you FIX your Ram's timing, would you then just keep it and drive until the wheels fall off? What could you get for it in current condition as a trade in for that Trail Boss and would that be worth it?
Emissions systems- dpf, def injection, egr, etc. Diesel emissions systems are a breakdown waiting to happen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998