Teardrop Recommendations

NetDep

Adventurer
Scott B. - Congrats on the new trailer!! Yes, post up some pics when you get her!! The Travel Inn's are nice but not quite what I was looking for.

Ranger Danger - Thank you for your service and welcome home!! Please keep us posted with your endeavors and I agree -- the R-Pods are nice but I found them "typical" of the travel trailer build -- not high quality and little rigor built in. If you could hit that sweet spot of a stand up self contained trailer that had some "beef" to it -- bet there would be a market!!

luk4mud

Explorer
Did not get to look at the Lil Buddy this weekend as the family member showing it had a scheduling conflict. We went to the local LG dealer instead.

Wife likes the idea of a teardrop (yeah!). We quickly zeroed in on the Rough Rider. My main concern with it is that it has a torsion axle. For those who have that axle what is your experience offroad? Also the build quality was ... just ok.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Torsion axles are very bouncy. The problem is the lack of compromise between durability and weight. Most off road trailers are fitted with 3,000 or 3,500 pound axles, and the trailer only weighs 800 pounds or so. Torsion axles have no articulation, so whatever pitch and yaw the trail has, so too will the trailer. I run 33" tires on my trailer, at 8-6psi just to smooth out the road, and because they are way under their weight rating. Without the low psi, the torsion axle trailer would just be bouncing all over the place.

luk4mud

Explorer
Torsion axles are very bouncy. The problem is the lack of compromise between durability and weight. Most off road trailers are fitted with 3,000 or 3,500 pound axles, and the trailer only weighs 800 pounds or so. Torsion axles have no articulation, so whatever pitch and yaw the trail has, so too will the trailer. I run 33" tires on my trailer, at 8-6psi just to smooth out the road, and because they are way under their weight rating. Without the low psi, the torsion axle trailer would just be bouncing all over the place.

Nathan,

Their bouncy nature combined with the heat build up (and possible results- failure) are what have me looking at traditional leaf/ shock combo suspensions. I LOVE the SC Teardrops- what an equisite product, the Airstream of offroad trailers. But I cannot cost justify it.

So here is where I currently stand on research:

Brand:

1. LG. Probably out due to torsion axle concerns and just ok build quality. Guys who have the LG SS and Rough Rider frame/ suspension, please chime in with your experiences with the build quality and suspension!
2. SC Teardrops and similar. Cannot cost justify new. If I can find one used .....
3. Lil Buddy. Still need to look it over. I can get a great deal on it but would need to put a new offroad frame under it with a real suspension. Don't know anything about build quality etc.
4. Local builder. I am talking to a local guy who makes cabinets and build a few trailers. He has never built an offroad trailer but really wants to. The price would be reasonable, I think and the quality of his onroad stuff looks good.

Size:
Wife and I laid down on a 5' one, fits us just fine. 6' is almost too wide for the 2 of us. We can make 9" long work, 10' would be better.

Features:
1. Sink. Wife really wants a built in sink, so ... it will have a sink, of course.
2. Cold toes. Wife says the #1 reason she does not camp is she gets cold ... I can solve that! We looked over heaters/ furnaces, she said a 12v electric blanket will do fine. So of course that leads to a research project on batteries and chargers and solar and tow vehicle charging etc. Looks to me like I can make it work with one 100Ah battery, 2 would be ideal.
3. Front window. She wants one, I shall get one.

I have revised the first post to reflect all of this evolving list.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Bruce, look up a fellow here on ExPo under the name "Woods" He built a sweet trailer in his home shop and it's fantastic. I figure you could commission him to build the frame and suspension, and then buy a little guy or whatever coachwork. He's in Costa Mesa, not terribly far from you cultured LA types :)

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Some thoughts:

Front window - a "must have" here. It opens up the trailer, makes it feel bigger. The other half wanted it, so of course we got it. But, I really like it too.

Axle - I ordered the axle with a 25 degree down angle, to get the most lift. I'm not thrilled with the torsion axle. My plan is to use it for a while, and if I don't like it, I will remove it and weld on a leaf spring setup.

LG - the build quality of the ones I have looked at was good. I really the SC ones, too, but have not seen one in person.

I plan on making some mods to my LG as soon as I get it. I ordered a stripped down Silver Shadow (with Rough Rider frame). I am looking at this as a good starting point, rather than a package ready to go.

I will let you know what I think of the build quality, etc., once I take delivery - should be in December.

I will also write a build thread discussing the way I purchased it, and the changes I make.

jim65wagon

Features:
1. Sink. Wife really wants a built in sink, so ... it will have a sink, of course.
This is my opinion on a sink in a teardrop: you should consider how much space you lose to gain that sink. Space is at a premium with a teardrop, especially if you are on an extended trip.
Most sinks used in small campers are small, too small to be really useful.
Even a small sink takes up very valuable counter space.
The plumbing required for the sink takes up a lot of storage space underneath the sink.
If you camp in a campground you will probably be required to have a gray water tank.
A stock pot (or bucket) can be used for washing dishes, and is easily portable to a table, tailgate, or nearby stump.

2. Cold toes. Wife says the #1 reason she does not camp is she gets cold ... I can solve that! We looked over heaters/ furnaces, she said a 12v electric blanket will do fine. So of course that leads to a research project on batteries and chargers and solar and tow vehicle charging etc. Looks to me like I can make it work with one 100Ah battery, 2 would be ideal.
The 12 volt blankets we found (and use) are only half length. They'll cover your torso, or your legs. On the plus side, they work well.
3. Front window. She wants one, I shall get one.
We don't have this, but it would be cool!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Torsion axles do bounce; adjust your air pressure in your tires and it works okay. If I lived in a area with miles and miles of washboard I'd probably already have swapped to independent arms or something.

12v blanket ---- we have one. With two batteries, it works great. Since my ARB fridge is my major consumer of juice, it's one or the other. Which is okay since the fridge hardly cycles on when it's cold enough to use a blanket.
But here's the thing. The trailer is so small, so well insulated, that we only use the blanket for about a half hour to warm the mattress. With a couple of blankets in there and a dog, it gets downright hot. We've been fine in there down to single digit temperatures.

The build quality? Ours is rock solid. Not a creak, squeak, or rattle. And it gets used very very often.

Sink? We had one at first. Now we don't.
Listen to what Jim said; they get in the way in a teardrop. I bought a s/s makeline tray from Sam's Club for $12 and use it as a sink when necessary.
In all honesty, I mostly use a ceramic wok. Nothing sticks to it and clean-up is usually done with a Clorex wipe and a paper towel. I haven't packed the "sink" so far this year and my wife hasn't even noticed.

As far as size goes, 6' wide is very wide. Sometimes too wide on the trail.
But I'm wide. I'm 6'5" and big across the shoulders. For me, it's all about a good night's sleep and a nice galley. So a king bed is essential.

I don't rock-crawl. I roadtrip. On as many dirt roads as I can but I'm more of a tourist than "adventurer".

luk4mud

Explorer
Ok, more great input to process. Need to talk to the wife about the sink again.

Hilldweller, I seem to find nothing but washboard roads out here, so the torsion axle does not appear to be a viable option. LG build questios aside, that is reason enough to look at alternatives.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
To add to your decision making, a 3500# axle and springs can be had for $250, $350 if you want brakes.

Torsion axle

Luk4mud

Thanks for starting this thread. Its answering the questions I have. Torsion axles do have a lot of bounce to the ounce but ride good on road if load is properly balanced. My useage will be same as Hilldweller since I am more of a forest tourist/roadwarrior and not a serious offroad adventurer. After getting over my passion for a Moby1, I decided I did not have to be prepared for the Zombie apocalypse so I looked at LG and several custom teardrops. Then I decided to look at converted cargo trailers where you have a shell with clean slate to add or subtract as you wish. I think I am down to axle [definitely want brakes] and type of roof rack for maximum flexibility and hauling. Mine will be totally modular so whatever I put in can be easily removed except the electrical components. So guys recommendations on racks would also be good and Luk4mud useful for you as well.

Cheers,

Whiskeycutter

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is my opinion on a sink in a teardrop: you should consider how much space you lose to gain that sink. Space is at a premium with a teardrop, especially if you are on an extended trip.
Most sinks used in small campers are small, too small to be really useful.
Even a small sink takes up very valuable counter space.
The plumbing required for the sink takes up a lot of storage space underneath the sink.
If you camp in a campground you will probably be required to have a gray water tank.
A stock pot (or bucket) can be used for washing dishes, and is easily portable to a table, tailgate, or nearby stump.

I agree 100% with the above. We decided against a sink in ours for that reason.

Here's my thought on sinks in teardrops:

IMO they are put in as a selling point to make the teardrop look more "featured" and to make it look like a conventional RV. This makes people who might be reluctant to get a teardrop (or to pay high $$ for one) more likely to buy.

But in practice, very few people actually use their sinks from what I've seen, and the reason is obvious: It's not big enough to really use as a sink. You can't wash anything bigger than a small dish or cup, and it requires you to have a plumbing system and a waste water tank. All of that adds complexity, maintenance and expense to the trailer (if you live in a place where it freezes, for example, you better be able to purge all the water out of those water lines before winter.)

I am fairly certain I've never seen anyone with a sink-equipped teardrop actually using their sink on a campout. And I've heard a LOT of people complain about the wasted space.

If you do your dishwashing in a bucket, you can dump it out as soon as you're done, which requires no wastewater tank. A 6 gallon water jug with a spigot can be placed on a table and can function as your "faucet." All of this is simple, cheap, and requires minimal maintenance.

When the wife and I describe our teardrop, to those who are used to RVs with more amenities, we explain it like this: it's not an alternative to an RV, it's basically a hard-sided tent on wheels that we pull behind our truck. And it's a tent that will never fall down in the middle of a windstorm, a tent we don't have to set up and take down.

Like a tent, we sleep inside, but cooking, cleaning and just hanging out - that is all done outside (which is one of the reasons why Teardroppers - or "tear jerkers" - are so friendly. We have to be because we don't really have any place to 'retreat' to!)

We decided against an electrical system for the same reason - no need. We have a solar and battery powered roof vent and interior light, and a battery powered LED light over the galley. When we camp we both have headlights that we wear to get around, and we hang those on hooks by our heads when we sleep. Over 2 years and about 14 camping trips, this arrangement has worked out great.

Here's another thought: Many factory built expensive teardrops have a built in propane stove. Looks nice, yes, but that means you are pretty much stuck with cooking right there in the galley - no flexibility. The propane tank on the tongue is large, but, again, it means plumbing a gas line and the attendant maintenance that requires.

Many (if not most) of the custom built tears don't have that. What they typically have instead is a shelf or space for a gas or propane stove, but they can actually move the stove anywhere they want in order to use it, which gives more flexibility (for example, if you're camping someplace windy - like Wyoming - you can use the side of your tear as a windshield and cook beside it instead of behind it.) Some custom tears have very clever shelves that swing out or slide out for the stove, and then swing or slide back in for storage.

As far as heat, we have an even simpler solution: We have a very nice down comforter. We have NEVER been cold on any of our camputs, even when the temperatures dipped below freezing. In fact, I normally end up throwing the blankets off by the end of the night because I'm too hot.

It all really comes to what you want your tear to do and how you want to use it. As I said above, if you think of it as a hard sided tent, you will have something that is simple, rugged and doesn't require a lot of tweaking. Keep it simple, keep it basic, keep it low tech, and you will have something that works without requiring a lot of maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle