Teardrop Recommendations

luk4mud

Explorer
We've been running an AT Teardrop since spring. We are very pleased with the trailer in every respect. The suspension setup is the main reason I went with the AT Teardrop over the competition's products. Highway manners are superb. It also handles washboard like a dream. (35-40 mph all the way into Tuweep type of dream) Although you said you don't do hardcore trails, the AT suspension setup will take you waaaay beyond those forest service roads.

Good luck.

Thats great input, thanks!

Originally Posted by mvbeggs
We've been running an AT Teardrop since spring. We are very pleased with the trailer in every respect. The suspension setup is the main reason I went with the AT Teardrop over the competition's products. Highway manners are superb. It also handles washboard like a dream. (35-40 mph all the way into Tuweep type of dream) Although you said you don't do hardcore trails, the AT suspension setup will take you waaaay beyond those forest service roads.

Good luck.

Anybody like that on east coast? I live in NC. The lack of custom builders is what directed me toward LG with an existing offroad build or a cargo where I can at least specify axle and to a lesser extent tires.

luk4mud

Explorer
^We really do lose sight of how good we have it out here. I visited SC Teardrops last week to check out their very cool shop and trailers. Mario and AT are just a 6 hour drive for us in LA as well, almost locals.

I am leaning pretty hard toward having the frame built by AT or SCT, and then having my local guy build the actual trailer. Going that route, it is looking like I can bring it in pricewise at about (or even below) the price of a LG Rough Rider, OTD. And I get to basically design and have custom built exactly the way I want.

AT has a really cool suspension, best I have seen, but SCT is less than an hour away. Prices are comparable. Choices, choices.

I just stopped by FrontRunner's warehouse today. Steve made me a killer deal on a demo 10 gallon water tank for the trailer. If I worked there, my entire paycheck would just get recycled into purchased products.

I am picking up rims and tires from a CL seller this weekend, so I will be ready to commit to a frame builder probably next week.

Then on to the design phase of the trailer! Current thinking on the galley is to design it something like the back of a Camp Inn. I really like the slide out stove surrounded by stainless steel, large storage boxes under the large stainless steel food prep area. Sink is still being debated. I would prefer to just mount a gravity based water tank and call it good. We may also choose not to build in a spot for the cooler, but instead keep it in the tow rig. Not sure I want the weight of water and a cooler behind the axle on a towed trailer.

http://tinycamper.com/raindrop560ultra.htm

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Check out what Andy did to his teardrop for water. Jerry can and a pump; works very nicely, even if it is overkill...

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Teardrop Balance- tongue weight

Then on to the design phase of the trailer!....Not sure I want the weight of water and a cooler behind the axle on a towed trailer.

If you look at most teardrop designs, the doors restrict the forward location of the axle. (the fenders interfere with the doors) This requires most teardrop's axles to be placed further back than optimal, which in turn, makes them a bit heavier on the tongue. You may want/need some weight behind the axle of the teardrop to lighten the tongue load. It's not a huge problem, just something you want to keep in mind when locating relatively heavy payload items...like water tanks. :ylsmoke:

On my teardrop build, I originally had AT locate the battery in the front storage box. (4D battery, 220Ahr @ 135 lbs) This made the nose, and tongue weight, pretty heavy. I have since located the battery behind the axle, which made a world of difference to the balance of the trailer. Now, if I need to move the trailer around, I can at least muscle the tongue up manually without straining the pickle. :)

Looks like you are off to a good start....Good luck!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
-Weight of 1500 dry seems more realistic. How much can a manual tranny JKU 3.6l realistically tow?

The JKU 3.6L is unreal for a 6 cyl. I saw one pulling a 16' or so, tandem axle self contained camper through the hills of western PA. I'd expect you wouldn't even know a 1500 lb trailer is there.

NetDep

Adventurer
Luk -

CONGRATS!! You have a plan and a way forward!! Hoping to see lots of cool pics and great ideas!!

luk4mud

Explorer
If you look at most teardrop designs, the doors restrict the forward location of the axle. (the fenders interfere with the doors) This requires most teardrop's axles to be placed further back than optimal, which in turn, makes them a bit heavier on the tongue. You may want/need some weight behind the axle of the teardrop to lighten the tongue load. It's not a huge problem, just something you want to keep in mind when locating relatively heavy payload items...like water tanks. :ylsmoke:

On my teardrop build, I originally had AT locate the battery in the front storage box. (4D battery, 220Ahr @ 135 lbs) This made the nose, and tongue weight, pretty heavy. I have since located the battery behind the axle, which made a world of difference to the balance of the trailer. Now, if I need to move the trailer around, I can at least muscle the tongue up manually without straining the pickle. :)

Looks like you are off to a good start....Good luck!

Excellent points, thanks. I plan to put a small rack and box on the front as well, some back end weight will be needed to counterbalance an already front heavy design.

AndrewDM

Adventurer

Credit for the design goes to Beau on the Living Overland Blog. You can see his setup here. I used a different pump with the same results.

I don't think he documented it yet; I pinged him to post on this thread and brag a little.
He showed it off at the No Elk Here At Crawford's Camping Event a few weekends ago.

I still chuckle every time I turn it on. I'll get some pics of the water setup and the slide out for the stove. I made the slide out so the stove can easily be removed if I don't want to cook in the back of the teardrop.

-Andy

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I still chuckle every time I turn it on. I'll get some pics of the water setup and the slide out for the stove. I made the slide out so the stove can easily be removed if I don't want to cook in the back of the teardrop.

-Andy
Excess is best. Some farkles are just too much fun not to play with.
I just bought some insanely bright but totally unnecessary flashlights for the same reason...

luk4mud

Explorer
I have made a few decisions in the last 24 hours. I am definitely going to have one built by a local builder but purchase the frame from AT in Prescott. Here is my thought process:

-Frame. I want a tried and true design/ build. It will cost me little more initially, but I think it is worth it. The AT frame design has many miles of washboard and crawling to its credit and their suspension is superior to anything I have seen on the market. Even though I am in SoCal, Mario made this transaction really easy. he is a great communicator, his price is comparable to SCTeardrops (another great, proven frame), he is willing to deliver the frame to me and tune the suspension after the cabin is built and installed. I am picking up some used JK rims and beater tires and delivering them to Mario this weekend, as he happens to be in town. Build time looks like it will be 6- 8 weeks.

Cabin. The local builder is Matt with Sierra Madre Teardrops. Matt is a cabinet maker by trade and has built a number of teardrops on the side. I have seen his work and it is very good. He is going to work with me to design and build exactly what I want. His price is reasonable.

So, in the end, I get a beefy, proven off road frame and suspension, combined with the benefit if a local, good quality custom build at a reasonable price. Even accounting for some fudge factor, my final price should be only slightly more than an OTD LG Rough Rider.

I will start a separate build thread as this starts to unfold. I really appreciate all of this input already posted in this thread and look for ward to your input on the build thread!

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Sounds pretty awesome Bruce! Looking forward to seeing it on the road, er...off the road. You know what I mean :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle