Tell me what you know about Lightforce filters

articulate

Expedition Leader
If you've seen this little tid bit, then you know I'm in the market for either a new clear Lightforce cover or a snazzy new pair of filters. I'm thinking yellow (or amber?) because of the dusty conditions that the desert is, well, known for.

What say you regarding difference between spot filters, wide filters, and combo filters?

If it's one thing that the 170 Strikers are no good at, it's wide beam. The adjustment in beam really leaves much to be desired in that when you rotate the housing to go "wide" what you get is a loose housing and not-so-wide beam, but wider than spot. Meh.

Will the wide filter do much good? Do you have any experience with these filters? And is yellow or amber really a good choice for dusty roads?

Hit me. :safari-rig:

Thanks,
Mark

Photo for your laughing pleasure and my missing LF cover:
missin_lens.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Mark, it sounds like you need to check out my "beta" lightforce page. It's from SE v1, but it gets some important aspects across as to colors and filters.

Summary:
SPOT allows maximum distance.
Spot.jpg

The combo filter gives a wide beam pattern plus the bonus of long distance all in one.
Combo.jpg

The wide angle filter maximizes the beam spread giving broad peripheral vision.
I think you need to be using combo filters, like we discussed that one time (not sure if you remember it :friday:)
WideAngle.jpg

The dispersion filter gives off a highly diffused wall of light, this filter is ideal for rock crawling, vehicle recovery, winching, or slow tight terrain where distance is not a factor.
dispersionfl.jpg

I wonder how that puppy came off?? No, I wasnt tracking your SPoT... LOL.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
articulate said:
Will the wide filter do much good? Do you have any experience with these filters? And is yellow or amber really a good choice for dusty roads?

Hit me. :safari-rig:

Thanks,
Mark

What size are your lights? 170's?

If yes, lets talk....I have some amber combo filters you can try out...

articulate

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
What size are your lights? 170's?

If yes, lets talk....I have some amber combo filters you can try out...
Yeah dude! 170s.

What did you think of the combo filters? And the amber color?

Wil, your info up there is pretty cool, so is the beta page. I'm hoping for some real life experience in addition to the LF propaganda. :) I'd be stoked to purchase some combo filters.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
articulate said:
Yeah dude! 170s.

What did you think of the combo filters? And the amber color?

Wil, your info up there is pretty cool, so is the beta page. I'm hoping for some real life experience in addition to the LF propaganda. :) I'd be stoked to purchase some combo filters.

Dude, give me a call I have a set of dispersion filters for ya' just sitting on the shelf collecting dust... at least you can throw them on and protect the housing from chips in the meantime.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
1st....combo filters are cool. I like 'em.

2nd (a): Amber is cool if you are not the first guy in line...
2nd (b): Amber is not as good as clear if you are the first guy in line...

I tend to run around solo....so I prefer clear. When I do run around with others, I try to run up front...or I don't use my lights so I don't blind the guy in front of me.

Mav

Observer
I do not have the Striker 170's but I do have the Blitz 240's on my rig and I can say without hesitation that the spot/spread combo filter is absolutely fantastic.

The other week I was driving through some heavily infested kangaroo country at night and my 240 with the combo filter on it failed. I was reduced to the pencil beam and it was terrible. I stopped the rig and swapped the filter covers over so the combo was on the working spottie. The difference was chalk and cheese, I just love the combo filter.

Both my Blitz 240s have been converted to H.I.D's which also makes a dramatic improvement in their performance.

Prado5a.JPG

Last edited:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have a pair of 140s installed on the front of my Tacoma. I purchased a pair of the amber filters also. I haven't really used the lights much yet but the yellow does seem to disperse the light quite well.

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
wow... My lights couldn't do that.

But I could never justify the price of those things unless I struck it rich.

Superu

Explorer
I have both the combo and amber filters for my 170's.

I run the ambers in fog and rain and they work exceptionally well.

In clear conditions, the combo filters are worlds apart from the standard spots. I've used them many times on pitch dark beaches and forest roads and they've been fantastic. No experience with the wides, but given the performance of the combos, no desire to try them either.

miller_au

Adventurer
Hey mate im running Lightforce XGT's with the crystal blue COMBO filters.. ive had spots before but the combos are fantastic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan