Tell me what you know about Lightforce filters

articulate

Expedition Leader
nissan_frontier_d40_9.jpg

Okay fellas, the universe is headed in the right direction again (that's the universe, not the U.S. financial system mind you . . .)

We've picked up:
  1. a pair of yellow combo wide/spot filters
  2. a pair of clear combo wide/spot filters

Check this out. I shot some comparative shots for you. They should speak for themselves. I didn't adjust the housings between pictures, just replaced the filters. The lights were set for a spot beam. Click any of these to get a larger version.

1. Clear spot lens cover

2. Clear combo filter (wide/spot)

3. Yellow combo filter (wide/spot)

These photos should show how the combo filters alone provide a substantially improved wide beam without adjusting the light housing. I'm looking forward to a nighttime shakedown.

miller_au

Adventurer
LET THERE BE LIGHT!.. very nice mate, im very happy with my combo's.. they show up all the little (and not so little) critters on the side of the road you may not normally see

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
We've picked up:
  1. a pair of yellow combo wide/spot filters
  2. a pair of clear combo wide/spot filters

Mark,
Too bad I'm late to read this threas because you could have gotten a steal of a deal on two sets of filters I happen to have laying arround...:smilies27
  1. a pair of clear covers (original)
  2. a pair of yellow combo wide/spot filters
Cheers,
P

articulate

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
Mark,
Too bad I'm late to read this threas because you could have gotten a steal of a deal on two sets of filters I happen to have laying arround...:smilies27
Cheers,
P
P! That is a shame.

How you been anyway?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
While we are discussing lights and filters I'll post this in show me your lights as well for additional feedback. I have a 02 4Runner and when I went for an aftermarket bumper I lost my fog lights :) (I really like the factory hella lights). Today while I was driving home I though hmm what if I left my aux light relay hooked up to 1 LF 240 with a Yellow disp filter, and the other hooked into my fog relay for Hi/ Low applications of course I have the option of either both yellow 1 disp and 1 spot or both clear in the same format as the yellow or with the currently available in my garage 1 clear spot and 1 diffuser yellow. When I swapped the bumper I Used the universal 2 plug connector to wire the turn signals the fog lights the auxiliary lights so in the event the bumper needed to be pulled there was no cutting and re splicing involved.

Aaron

alia176

Explorer
Just curious, for those of you who run the Yellow filter, how does this interact with the headlights?

Thanks.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
It may take me a day or 2, plus I am only running 140s, but I might be able to snap a pic with both on.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well with the 240's @ 100W ea. they really dwarf the headlights when on. You may get a weird light pattern 10ft. in front of the rig but thats about it. They extend muuuuuuch further than the headlights in design so there isn't much conflict. For headlights I Use the IPF super low beam (or something) they seel them on EE and on Sleeoffroad. I was contemplating buying a yellow spot filter for the LF 240's so that one light was spot and the other combo. With the combo you loose a little over the spot.

Aaron

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Speaking of Lightforce's: Waiting for the Genesis HID stateside...supposed to be available this month. I've been very happy with the durability and overall performance of my 170's.

Blue filters are supposed to be the best for snow conditions. Haven't tried them myself: Anyone else have experience with blue in snow?

alia176

Explorer
I have the 170's too and was curious about the Combo filter. Generally, I'm a huge fan of pencil beams. The 170's spots are still pretty huge for my taste but given the shallowness of the reflector, that's to be expected. I was looking at a Combo filter but wasn't sure to go with an Amber or Clear flavor. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

slosurfer

Adventurer
I have the 170's and I started out with the yellow combo filters. I liked them so much that I got a set of clear combo filters. I now only throw the yellows on when the weather warrants it. Last year at Surf N Turf, it got really foggy, and the only thing that worked well were my yellow combo filters. I ran just them and no headlights.

The only time I have run spots on my 170's was for comparison shots with the 240 I have. I definately recommend the combo filters. I wasn't a big fan of always having the yellow, so I got the clears and I carry the yellows with me.

Seeker

Adventurer
I've got a pair of 240s on my front bumper with one clear spot filter and one amber combo filter. Love the setup. The spot provides enough projection that I can see far enough down the road that I can see for a few hundred yards and the amber combo filter widens out the close-up light projection and also helps with any dust - especially when traveling slow.

Dig your setup dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan