Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

XJINTX

Explorer
Jerry, I was being a kind of wise ******** about the stockings. Electronic works great and I am a lousy cook and you would not want my recipes ;) That is why I'm waiting on a book of recipes and what I need for good meals while out and about :)

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
XJINTX, I hear you ! I'm the same kind of cook myself! I will be using the recipe book every trip!

Colin Hughes, That was fast!

cactusjk

Explorer
Great! Helps to keep the Tembo Tusk logo out there on the accessories!
Xjintx,

Still looking for more recipes and as an FYI, the book will be an "eBook" when competed. Not a physical book. (At this time.)

I need more breakfast and appetizer recipes if anybody wants to contribute! You will be credited for any recipes and feel free to send more than one!

Castusjk, I know Goose Gear heard you and he has ordered more bamboo plywood.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Actually, as I found out, the Skottle did not ship from the vendor I bought it from, it shipped from Tembo Tusk and actually arrived yesterday. I wish I had known this in advance as there are a couple of accessories (windscreen and cook cover) I would have ordered from Tembo Tusk and had shipped with the Skottle. Shipping to Canada isn't cheap and a $55 UPS brokerage fee means these couple of accessories cost less to buy than the extra fees to get them here :( Looking forward to trying out the unit though in the next week or so.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Colin,

I will send you a PM shortly. Don't feel too bad, the Skottle cook lid would still need to be to be shipped in a separate box adding to the shipping cost. It doesn't help that shipping to Canada is crazy expensive.

ab1985

Explorer
I had the chance to put my new cover and steam lid to work this weekend at the STLCA New Year's ride (beer braised brats). As expected, everything worked flawlessly, and these items along with the new windscreen really round out the kit.

This was also my first use after refinishing the skottle's cooking surface. I grappled with this as it certainly was not necessary, but I've sanded down cast iron pieces to a glassy steel finish with great results and figured I would try it with the skottle.

Last edited:

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
but I've sanded down cast iron pieces to a glassy steel finish with great results and figures I would try it with the skottle.

Details?? I agree this isn't necessary but I've got an ancient cast iron skillet that is glass smooth and have used many a commercial stove with such a smooth surface. How did you go about the sanding process?

ab1985

Explorer
A quick once over with a flap wheel does wonders. You can use varying grits to to get a completely smooth surface. I just used a 120 grit wheel I had laying around so there's still quite a bit of visual swirl, but it's very smooth and over time will become unnoticeable. Once smooth you should wash with soap and hot water. With cast iron I would normally bake at 200* for 15-20 minutes to expel moisture, rub with oil, then bake at 350* for 30 minute to season. The skottle doesn't fit in my oven so I improvised using my Big Green Egg.

I have a 12" CI pan I've had for 10-ish years and it's great for bacon and anything else you can imagine, but every morning when I cook my eggs I use a 10" pan that I smoothed out like this and it's amazing.

This is the surface after one cook. Over time it will return to it's original black colored cooking surface.

A2C02DD9-D883-4FEE-8516-5893B8DDBCB2_zpsm4n3uk00.jpg

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Happy New Year to everyone!

We had a very busy lead up to Christmas as might be expected! And than we promptly took a flight to Costa Rica for ten days and just got back last night. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with very friendly people and great places to visit. We had a blast in a rented 4x4.

To get a glass like finish on the Skottle you might try using Flax Seed oil. Apply a light coat of Flax Seed oil and I recommend heating up the oven, BBQ etc to 450 degrees for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this procedure a minimum of 5 times.

A new item that will be going on the website shortly is a Steam Tray for the Skottle. In conjunction with the lid, this will allow baking cookies, smoking meat, making pizzas or anything you might think of!

The first version of the TemboTusk Skottle Cook/ebook is almost done. Down to proofing and a few other details.

Last edited:

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Happy New Year to everyone!

We had a very busy lead up to Christmas as might be expected! And than we promptly took a flight to Costa Rica for ten days and just got back last night. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with very friendly people and great places to visit. We had a blast in rented 4x4.

To get a glass like finish on the Skottle you might try using Flax Seed oil. Apply a light coat of Flax Seed oil and I recommend heating up the oven, BBQ etc to 450 degrees for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this procedure a minimum of 5 times.

A new item that will be going on the website shortly is a Steam Tray for the Skottle. In conjunction with the lid, this will allow baking cookies, smoking meat, making pizzas or anything you might think of!

The first version of the TemboTusk Skottle Cook/ebook is almost done. Down to proofing and a few other details.

Glad your back. Do you let it cool between each coat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior