Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Great Meeting you Chris! Expo was a lot of fun! I'll get a few pictures up shortly. Must of walked miles! Saw lots and lots of Skottle grills being used all over the place! There was even a few Skottle grills used during the Sunday morning breakfast walkabout!

kai38

Explorer
This shrimp recipe came from Mike Perez, The true name of this dish has been lost so we call it Expo Shrimp, because he makes it at Overland Expo every year as an appetizer
14591764_10209392750968475_1417319809986113186_n.jpg

I made this last week in Mexico and more then doubled the ingredients to feed 7 people

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients:
1 lb shrimp, 25 count to a pound
4 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2-3 oz (60-89 ml) dry sherry
4 oz (125 ml) virgin olive oil
3 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 lemon for juice
1 fresh baguette, sliced
Preparation:
This recipe makes 4 servings as an appetizer. If preparing for a main course, double the recipe.
In a Skottle grill, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for about one minute or until they just begin to brown.
Be careful not to burn the garlic!

Raise the heat to high and immediately add the shrimp, lemon juice, sherry and paprika.

Stir well, then saute, stirring briskly until the shrimp turn pink and curl – about 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and transfer shrimp with oil and sauce to a warm plate or serve right from the Skottle.

Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Sprinkle with parsley.

Serve with crusty fresh bread.

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Great Meeting you Chris! Expo was a lot of fun! I'll get a few pictures up shortly. Must of walked miles! Saw lots and lots of Skottle grills being used all over the place! There was even a few Skottle grills used during the Sunday morning breakfast walkabout!

Great to meet you too Jerry. Thanks for supporting the community with innovative products!

XJINTX

Explorer
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw he Tembo Tusk used at the Appalachian Rendezvous. I was VERY PLEASANTLY surprised when later that day I won it in the raffle. Used it on my way home to TX but just for Fajitas. I am glad I found this link and can't wait to try some of them :)

tembotusk.jpg

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
XJINTX,

Great meeting you at the Appalachian Rendezvous! A fun event just like the ones out west! I love it that you won the Skottle! enjoy and this is the place for some great recipes!

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Skottle Grill Recipes

cook book copy.jpg

OK, after many, many requests for Skottle Recipes from across the county, I’ve decided to start putting together a Skottle Cook Book!

However, I need your help. If you cook on your Skottle, please send your own Skottle recipe with ingredients, directions, prep and cook times and of course a picture of the recipe cooking in the Skottle. Good example of a recipe. Both Simple and/or fancy recipes are OK. If you have more than one recipe; I'll take them all!

Please include your name or online name so you can be credited for the recipe. Don’t forget to list your website and/or a social media link as well.
You can post up here or email to: Recipes@TemboTusk.com

Looking forward to some great creations! This should be fun!

Last edited:

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Shrimp Stir-Fry

Did some beach camping this past weekend and it would not be complete without some shrimp on the skottle. Here is my take on an easy shrimp stir-fry.
This recipe is for 2-4 people. Adjust ingredients as needed. Easy dish and 20-30 minute cook time based on prepackaged ingredients. Fresh ingredients may add prep time.

1lb of shrimp fresh or frozen (can use other meats if desired)
1 Pack of Ramen noodles. (flavor does not matter since not using the spice packet)
1 bag of frozen stir-fry veggie mix or fresh if you have it.
1 jar of La Choy sweet and sour sauce.
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

Use Tbsp olive oil and heat the skottle
Add shrimp
While shrimp is cooking boil water for the Ramen
Once shrimp is not transparent anymore push to side and add stir-fry mix. (steam with the lid if you have one)
Drain and add cooked Ramen to the mix and stir all ingredients together
Add 3/4 of the bottle of sweet and sour sauce and mix all ingredients together.
Once sauce has warmed up enough turn off heat and serve from the skottle or have everyone pull up a chair and eat directly from it. (my favorite way to do it)
ENJOY

Shrimp.jpg

Ramen.jpg

Veggies.jpg

Mix.jpg

Done.jpg

Sauce.jpg

Me.jpg

WheelsUp

Observer
So I returned last Sunday from a 10 day camping trip. First time out using (experimenting with) my new Scottle. I found that my Coleman stove needed to be set on the lowest setting to prevent burning. That's just one click from being off. I tried to cook with the next click up, but was challenged with the high temperature and typically would burn the food. By the last couple days I seemed to have it worked out, but would like to know what technique you guys and gals use for heat control.

Do you ramp up the temp to totally heat the Scottle and then back off for cooking? Do you find that you need to actively control the burner level while cooking? Are any of you going full bore with the burner?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Stitch "The Burner of Food"

Stitch,

The biggest mistake people make with the Skottle is cook with the burner set too high. I will set it high to warm up the pan and dial the burner way down to cook. I find cooking to be an active sport. I'm always moving the food around. I do it on the home stove as well.

This is helpful information. I've been having trouble adjusting to using the skottle, both with the temp settings and the "active" shuffling things off/on the hotspot. Some things work okay (mostly meat), but I'm fighting a lot of it. I really want it to work, but feel like I may end up replacing it with something more traditional. I'll give it a few more attempts before giving up on it.
How long do you let it warm up on high, before backing the heat down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger