Tent recommendation needed (certain stipulations apply)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Just as the title implies, is there a tent out there that will:

1 - accommodate 8 sleeping bodies
2 - plus a cooking galley if the weather is inclement
3 - take the abuse of daily setup/take down for 30-60 days
4 - a person over 6 feet can stand up in

Thanks!

How big are the sleeping bodies- ie adults, kids, or a mix? I noticed that there's a 6 person Kodiak (10x10) for sale here in the equipment for sale section on ExPo... maybe it'll work?

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
how about 2 oztents with screen room enclosures hooked together. You could sleep 4 at each end and have a huge common area in between

compactcamping

Explorer
I second SpringBar Tents, check out the Colossus

colossus-oblq-view-lg.jpg

tommudd

Explorer
LITTLE HIJACKING HERE BUT
I like the looks of the Springbar tents but how about set up times? Anyone fill me in on about how long and if one person can set one up by theirself? I like the Oz due to being simple to set up for one person and fast!

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
LITTLE HIJACKING HERE BUT
I like the looks of the Springbar tents but how about set up times? Anyone fill me in on about how long and if one person can set one up by theirself? I like the Oz due to being simple to set up for one person and fast!

My question as well. Plus, these tents have the capacity but how do they withstand setting up/taking down every day for 2+ months?

Moody

Needs to get out more
Fast...no. By yourself, yes though two makes it easier. Staking it in is a must, so take that into consideration.

I donated my family's 30+ year old family camper to the boy scouts a while back. Needed some new poles, and some screening, but otherwise okay.

FYI, I worked at the store during the design phase of the Colossus. The tent is -gigantic- and quite heavy. I currently have the Campsite and it says it sleeps 3-4 on their site, (I think?) and that is conservative. I could put 6 in a pinch, or 6 all the time if they were kids.

Check out the 'Portico' option for t he awnings on the tents...pretty sweet deal.

tinker trek

Observer
I've been looking to buy a new tent for the past six months or so.
After looking and comparing every tent I could find...Today I ordered a
Springbar Vagabond 4 with the Portico awning.

For my needs I think it's the best one out there!

I wanted something to stay in 3-4 days at a time in all weather conditions.
It should fit me & my two teenage kids just fine.

* Springbar has a good sale going till March 16th I believe?

phatman

Observer
springbar setup

i just got mine about a month ago, just in time to test it's waterproof-ness in the rain.
the first time setup took abut 30 min. but that was do to the poorly printed instructionis. now that i've done it once it will probably only take 10 min. to setup, and maybe another 10 for the awning.
tare down takes longer because of the thick canves, and large size; took me about 20 min., but i expect these times will get shorter.
BTW i had it out in the hard rain for a week, not a drop of water made it in. the one thing i didn't like was the awning colected rain even when tilted, this seems to have streached the awning so now it sags.
i can't wait to test it out during spring break . along with many other new toys.
good luck,
Stuart

davis38

Wenger Appenzell

I have a Wenger Appenzell, Model WG31228.1 that I received for Christmas.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out and test it. However, it's an 11 person 20'x10' tent with built in room dividers and a center height of 78 inches. Comes with a built in mud pad, tarp, and electic port. I'm excited to use it, and just from the material and stitching it seems well made.

Just be ready to tote around 36 lbs. worth of tent when it's rolled up and in its included bag. Hope this gives you one more option to look at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan