Tent recommendation needed (certain stipulations apply)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
sleeping for 8 ?

I think I'd look at 1 off 4 person with a good size vestibule for the main tent
and get 2 other 3 person person tents for the other people.

Normally a 3 person tent fits 2 comfortably and still enough room for gear

reasons...1 huge tent takes up a huge fixed space

3 smaller ones can be positioned where you want

tree's and rocks etc don't usually work on free 20 ft x 20ft space design

More privacy

More adaptable - the teens can use alone if they want with having to lug dad's canvas Palace.

Easier packing of gear in three smaller packages.

I have a marmot town house for my family, sleeps 6 in two rooms with a center free area.

Pitching it however is not that easy, but its fully curved and rigid when set up.

Wind and weather proof to a fault, not an inch of deflection in high winds.

I really liked the snow peek modular setup, but the cost was prohibitive

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I figured I would go with several smaller tents if I didn't find one that fit my requirements. A lot of good tents mentioned but none of them appear to be able to stand up to the rigors of set-up/tank down for long periods of time.

sundaypunch

Observer
I have a 10x14 Kodiak. It is a heavy duty canvas tent similar to a Springbar. 4 cots just fit on one side of the tent. You could fit 8 people in this tent but there would be little room for anything other than the 8 cots or sleeping bags.

Just as the title implies, is there a tent out there that will:

1 - accommodate 8 sleeping bodies
2 - plus a cooking galley if the weather is inclement
3 - take the abuse of daily setup/take down for 30-60 days
4 - a person over 6 feet can stand up in

Thanks!

I bought a Cabela's Extreme Weather Tent used (only one time) a year ago for a little over half the cost of new. It has a 12x12 floor size and a front vestibule that I can set up two large campchairs and a cooking table in. It is designed to do all that you noted above and can stand up to 70mph wind gusts. I am 6'1" and can stand up inside (I believe the interior height is around 7').

Kevin

Moody

Needs to get out more
A lot of good tents mentioned but none of them appear to be able to stand up to the rigors of set-up/tank down for long periods of time.

I would feel confident to say that my Springbar that lasted 30 years in my family could withstand the rigors of setup and takedown for long periods of time...as with any tent, things did eventually wear out, such as the poles, (the "T" section had cracked, which has since been updated with an aluminum piece that is machined) and the mesh in the door had my dog go through it chasing a nighttime critter. The main integrity of the tent was never compromised, though my pops is as anal about gear as I am.

They aren't cheap, but they last. I now use a Campsite model which has been great for the past 3+ years.

On its maiden voyage:

springbar.jpg

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I really dig the "old skool" look of the Springbar tents. Reminds me of the old tent my dad had when I was growing up.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I don't know if a deal still exists, but a bunch of us got Sierra Designs Casa 6 tents a couple month back for not much money ($140 in my case). You'd need two, but they pitch VERY quickly, are nicely made and don't weigh much compared to the alternatives.

jim65wagon

We use two of these.

Cabelas Quad Pole Tent

Why two? We found (at least where we tend to go) finding a spot in the woods for one large tent is a lot more difficult than finding two smaller spots for two tents. On the floor you could fit 4-6 people in these, but we use two cots in each and it leaves a large floor for changing clothes; oh, and yes you can stand up without hitting your head on the ceiling...

ThomD

Explorer
I don't know if a deal still exists, but a bunch of us got Sierra Designs Casa 6 tents a couple month back for not much money ($140 in my case). You'd need two, but they pitch VERY quickly, are nicely made and don't weigh much compared to the alternatives.

Hi Mike, is that the Mountain Hardware Casa 6? I can't find a Casa by SD.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
The company I work for owns Eureka and I get a killer deal on them. Does anyone have a recommendation from them for a bigger tent? I like their military ones but they seem overkill for what we need.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Steve, wow 8 people is a LOT to realistically put into one tent. OJ did a review of the tents similar to the SpringBar, and they liked it, but they also liked the SnowPeak tent with it's huge add on room.

My family has an older large footprint Coleman (Big Sky?, Montana? something like that), that fits us all with double bed sized air mattresses, plus a large vestibule. The tent was $160 and we spent another $100 having the zipper upgraded by a little old lady in pasadena (any beach boys fans out there?) and it has lasted quite a while. It is very waterproof, and quick to set up. However, as pointed out, the large footprint is a challenge to find suitable spots to set up, particularly in the Sierra's where flats spots between tree roots are fewer and smaller.

We then tried the North Face 8 person tent, and it was okay, but did not ventilate well, and we preferred the Coleman.

Then we swapped to an REI Base Camp 6. Its a fantastic tent. Very easy to set up, does not need stakes, has tons of interior pockets and gear suspension points. Huge vestibule, smaller posterior vestibule, double exits, high ceiling, great poles, good ventilation, and has proven to be quite stormproof (including golf ball sized hail!) They make a Base Camp 4 also. If you got one of each, I think you'd have a great set up, and much better flexibility for times when only one or two of your family go out with you.

523252092_YVgeM-L.jpg

EDIT: I just checked Coleman's site, and they changed the Montana, no more weather sheltered vestibule?

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Thanks. I figured I would go with several smaller tents if I didn't find one that fit my requirements. A lot of good tents mentioned but none of them appear to be able to stand up to the rigors of set-up/tank down for long periods of time.

I have a Eureka Titan that I used for a 4 week trip through 7 western states - setting up and taking down almost daily. A BIG tent and tall enough for a 6 footer to stand up in. It held up just fine.I seldom use it now, since I mostly travel alone or with one other person.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Steve, wow 8 people is a LOT to realistically put into one tent.

Well, we are a family of 7. I suppose the 3 older boys can be in a tent of their own but I sleep more soundly when I have all my family around me when we are out in the wilderness. Paternal instincts I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online