Tent Recommendations

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Need some recommendations on 2 to 3 man tent.

Currently, I have an Ozark Trail (Walmart Tent) that I've been using since highschool (11 years ago :Wow1:) and during some recent trips I've noticed how little protection from the elements it provides (on a recent trip the small rain cover about ripped off in a wind storm) and it's not the easiest thing to setup by one person. That and the fiber-glass feel like I'm going to break them when putting the tent up.

I've searched though about 10 pages of this section of the forum so far but it seems most discussions focus around roof top tents.

So what I'm looking at is trying to find a 2-3 man tent or slightly bigger that's easy enough for one person to setup and provides better protection from the elements?

stankfoot

Adventurer
i have the NEMO Losi 3P and love it. it is designed for backpacking. a little pricey but hands down the best tent i have ever owned. would not hesitate to buy NEMO anything again. cannot say enough about their products.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/

Momo

At the risk of sounding cliche, it's hard to go wrong with an REI tent IMO... we have two that have held up well and have been pretty comfortable. Quick setup and breakdown too. Whatever you get, check craigslist for sure, there are great deals to be had.

Here's one of the ones we have... http://www.rei.com/product/810122

Also, think about going one person bigger than you think you need... the extra space can be really nice to have.

Last edited:

Xterabl

Adventurer
ahem. do not go with rei hobitat 4 person.
for less money, i went with Kelty GreenRiver II 4 persona and it is much beter, for more than a couple reasons (mostly, size for $$$). Check it out.

762X39

Explorer
My first tent was a Eureka Timberline 2 man tent. I used it for over 10 years w/o incident and then gave it to my sister and her husband. They have a 4 man size that (and a heavier duty outfitters model) should fit the bill.The poles are alloy and can be set up during a storm (frame and fly first) if needed (I know because I've done it a few times). Eureka in Canada is independant of Eureka in the US so the selection and build may be different.I currently have one of the 12 by 12 picnic shelters and is the best there is (it was spendy though, about $500). The first week I had it, it was picked up by a tornado and deposited a ways back in a tree. I recovered it and the only damage was one bent alloy pole section.Eureka (in Burlington) took it in for service, replaced the pole section under warranty and made sure the rest of it was ok.This made the purchase price quite cheap.A lesser shelter would have been landfill. I was able to set up the shelter during a severe storm in high winds (I got totally soaked).The wind made it tough and once again the quality and design spoke for itself.Sorry about the long post:coffee:.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Make sure you fully understand your requirements and needs

an awsome 4 season mountain tent usually makes a poor tropical tent, as they have limited venting.

a summer fresh tent makes an awfull winter tent as there's too many draughts

I loooked at a whole bunch recently, I wanted mountain geodasic construction for the strength and waterproofing but wanted a tent that aired well when required.

I only found one that matched my wants and needs, storm proof for tropical down poors but well ventilated for the steamy afterstorm.

it has two entrances for a nice cool crossflow, rather than a dead end like most mountain tents.
Pitches both interior and exterior at the same time- no wet tent inner

your needs may be diferent ! so list out what you really want from the tent and the conditions you will be using it in.

the average colemen folds almost flat in a gale ! and the sand blows up under the fly and deposits on everything inside, so if you can get into when its flat, you'll still have a crunchy or wet night !

heres one that matched my needs in a compact way

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Typhoon_300_Mountain_Tent.html

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Tearron, this weekend happens to be the biggest outdoor show in the state (west?), the Outdoor Retailer Show in SLC will have dozens and dozens of tent manufactures showing off their latest and greatest. I'm heading down tomorrow (Sunday), I don't know if your free tomorrow but I've got a spare pass you can use. A group of us will be heading down tomorrow morning when the show opens.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies all. I'm just starting the search so thanks.

Tearron, this weekend happens to be the biggest outdoor show in the state (west?), the Outdoor Retailer Show in SLC will have dozens and dozens of tent manufactures showing off their latest and greatest. I'm heading down tomorrow (Sunday), I don't know if your free tomorrow but I've got a spare pass you can use. A group of us will be heading down tomorrow morning when the show opens.

Might take you up on that. I just have to be back by noon.

Momo

Never had a problem with our Hobitat... I've used it to camp in snow, rain, wind, and summer heat. The heat was the least comfortable condition, but there isn't a tent out there that would have been much better. It is a few years old though so the newer ones may somehow not be as good.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Might take you up on that. I just have to be back by noon.

LMK, we are going to arrive just before 9am and stick around til' 3 when the show closes but you can split whenever you need to. The only catch is you need to take some pics of neat gear for me :D

DarthBeaver

Adventurer
I have my REI half-dome plus as a back up to My RTT. I also used my hd+ in Antarctica.... Did fantastic!

(Its not in this picture... will try to find one where it is....)

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 54

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78