**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

Box Rocket

what is the big difference between the Tepui Ayer and the Baja Series Tepui Ayer?
Also why is the Kukenam SKY more expensive than the hideous camo version of the Kukenam SKY?
The Baja series uses a Mesh Canopy or a lightweight nylon canopy. The Standard Ayer uses the ripstop poly cotton material used on Tepui's other (non-Baja series) tents.
This is the ripstop poly cotton used on standard and Ruggedized models

Baja Series Ultralite Mesh canopy

Baja Series Ultralite Ripstop Nylon canopy

The Sky windows add some cost to the tents. There are two camo versions of the Kukenam, the "Woods Camo" and the "Siberian Camo". The Siberian Camo is the most expensive of the 3 non-ruggedized Kukenam tents. The camo material costs more to produce and therefore costs more. The Woods camo is the least expensive, likely because of demand. It's the least popular. So the lower cost is incentive for some to buy it.
I assume that the Woods camo tent is the one you're asking about?

Elbee

Adventurer
Hideous ???? Lol. I have the hideous Autana Siberian Camo :) just got back from two days in the snow :). The Baja is almost all screen on top I believe .

HIDEOUSE ???? :) I kinda like it.

Hideous might of been a strong word. The woodland camo is the one i'm more referring to ;) How did it do in the cold? Do you have the weatherhood?

Elbee

Adventurer
Thanks, Box Rocket!

Has anyone used the weatherhood here? Are they worth the cost? I see nothing about them on the net, they must be new.

If tepui wants to give me a good deal on one, i can do a longterm review on it! i'll be living out of one for a couple months!

Box Rocket

Thanks, Box Rocket!

Has anyone used the weatherhood here? Are they worth the cost? I see nothing about them on the net, they must be new.

If tepui wants to give me a good deal on one, i can do a longterm review on it! i'll be living out of one for a couple months!

The standard and Ruggedized models are all 4- season tents and do well in cold weather. The Baja series is meant more for warm weather camping and isn't the best option for cold weather camping, unless a weatherhood is also used. The weatherhoods are not new and have been around for a couple years now. There are several forum members that use them. They do what they are designed to do and help insulate the tent in cold weather and also do a great job of keeping the tent dry in rain if you want to use it that way. Condensation can increase with the weatherhood depending on the conditions so an anti-condensation mat may also be a good idea if your tent doesn't already have one.

montanatroutbum

Has anyone bought/ used the Baja Series Ayer ? Looking to fit it on my 2016 subaru, which has yakima core bars already installed. I'm 6'5, would this tent accommodate my height ?

montanatroutbum

Anyone have recommendations for a theft deterrent? Is there anyway to secure it to the roof rack via lock ? I've already heard a few stories of people getting their tent stolen.

NoOneBetter

Observer
Any tips on putting on the weather hood when the tent is up on the roof of the vehicle? I couldn't see any other way other than getting up onto the roof and putting it over the tent.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Anyone have recommendations for a theft deterrent? Is there anyway to secure it to the roof rack via lock ? I've already heard a few stories of people getting their tent stolen.

I don't own a RTT yet, but I would think that some sort of security fasteners could do the trick to deter thieves. Someone who is determined would be able to take it regardless of how you lock it up. Angle grinders with cutting wheels can cut through steel like butter.

Here are some fasteners/security bolts that could possibly work.

Some look like there is a minimum order so maybe a group buy would work...or maybe Tepui could start using these or offer them as kits? Hint hint...cough cough!! :)

There could be an issue with clearance as some racks are low profile and the "key" for these security nuts might be too tall.

Bryce Penta-Nut

Bryce Key-Rex

I think these Tufnut Security Nuts would work really well for this application and you only need regular tools.

Here is another security nut by Tufnut called the Tri-Groove. This could also be a possible solution.

You get the idea.

Good luck!

Box Rocket

I don't own a RTT yet, but I would think that some sort of security fasteners could do the trick to deter thieves. Someone who is determined would be able to take it regardless of how you lock it up. Angle grinders with cutting wheels can cut through steel like butter.

Here are some fasteners/security bolts that could possibly work.

Some look like there is a minimum order so maybe a group buy would work...or maybe Tepui could start using these or offer them as kits? Hint hint...cough cough!! :)

There could be an issue with clearance as some racks are low profile and the "key" for these security nuts might be too tall.

Bryce Penta-Nut

Bryce Key-Rex

I think these Tufnut Security Nuts would work really well for this application and you only need regular tools.

Here is another security nut by Tufnut called the Tri-Groove. This could also be a possible solution.

You get the idea.

Good luck!

Security hardware of some kind is a good suggestion. I've also seen a few who have replaced the mounting hardware with eyebolts (eyes at the bottom) with a padlock run through the eyes.
FWIW, Tepui is actively looking at theft deterrent solutions.

Box Rocket

Has anyone bought/ used the Baja Series Ayer ? Looking to fit it on my 2016 subaru, which has yakima core bars already installed. I'm 6'5, would this tent accommodate my height ?

The open footprint inside the Ayer is 48x84" or 4'x7' so someone of your height will fit.....just.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Any tips on putting on the weather hood when the tent is up on the roof of the vehicle? I couldn't see any other way other than getting up onto the roof and putting it over the tent.

What do you think of the weather hood? I've been thinking about getting one for ours.

Any tips on better insulation for the bottom of the mattress? For the first time, my back got a little cold in the 35 degree weather this weekend.

Box Rocket

What do you think of the weather hood? I've been thinking about getting one for ours.

Any tips on better insulation for the bottom of the mattress? For the first time, my back got a little cold in the 35 degree weather this weekend.
If you don't have one already, you might consider the Anti-condensation mat that goes under the mattress. I camped the weekend before last in my Kukenam XL Ruggedized (has the mat) in 8* weather and was quite comfortable.

Caretaker

Caretaker
I have searched around on the forum but haven't found a thread concerning it, will there be a group buy anytime soon for the Tepui tents? Just making sure there aren't any planned or any currently going on because factoring in a $1K tent to a college kid's budget is a little hectic... :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears