TerraLiner:12 m Globally Mobile Beach House/Class-A Crossover w 6x6 Hybrid Drivetrain

cranecamsou

Interesting thread, I've been trying to keep up from the beginning....but it's been tough. A little paralysis by analysis makes for good conversation. Speaking of good conversation, has anyone brought up unibody construction? Why not a fully carbon fiber monocoque, that will free up all sorts of space versus body on frame. FUlly rigid, torsion free, and will never rust! :Wow1:

biotect

Designer
Bio,

surfboards are LIGHT - REALLY light!!

Put them on the roof and safe the lower/lowest storage space for the HEAVY stuff! Fluids ....mainly.....
Unless you stick to the coast and LIVE surfing - you will not need them that often.

IF you do the surfing lifestyle - you will NOT be much into overlanding - you'll take the camper....

thjakits

Hey thjakits,

That's an excellent point, but the problem is that the TerraLiner, like egn's Blue Thunder, will be a tall vehicle: really tall. As in 3.95 m. And pulling down surfboards or kayaks from way up on top will be no fun at all. They also won't be as protected up there.

Sure, I know it's not advisable to put light-weight things low down, in the center of the vehicle. But in my current design I can't figure out how to fit a 5.5 m sea kayak on top of a pop-up roof, in any way that makes a bit of sense. One solution, of course, is to consign all of this stuff to the "Toy Trailer". But I have other goodies in mind for the Toy Trailer, and I guess I would prefer that my favorite water-sports toys -- surfboards, kayaks, windsurfers, kiteboards -- should be stowed in the main vehicle. The batteries of course would go underneath the "surf locker", and I am only talking 6 m of depth for one item, the sea kayak. And sea-kayaks are very narrow, and very low-rise, so the volumetric impact should be minimal. A long/wide item like a wooden long-board could go above the sea-kayak, so it would be just underneath the camper floor. And the short, super-wide items like the Formula and RS:X boards could perhaps go underneath the sea-kayak, again, so that they have minimal impact on potential battery space.

I've opened up a whole new can of worms here, one that I was deliberately trying to keep closed, because other issues seemed more pressing. But the problem of where to put all the desired surfboards, kayaks, windsurfers, and kite-boards has been vexing me for a while. So perhaps I should come out in the open, declaring that right from the beginning I have been imagining the TerraLiner as a "coastal exploration" vehicle. Yes, I also want the TerraLiner to be able to cross Tibet and the Sahara. But if there is one achievement that I would like to establish with the TerraLiner, gaining it entrance into the Guiness World Book of Records, it might read something like:

"First successful complete circumnavigation of all continental coastlines (save Antarctica) in a 6x6 expedition motorhome".

Or something like that.

I love the water, I love beaches especially, and something like Casa Azul has been dominating my thinking right from the start.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
Interesting thread, I've been trying to keep up from the beginning....but it's been tough. A little paralysis by analysis makes for good conversation. Speaking of good conversation, has anyone brought up unibody construction? Why not a fully carbon fiber monocoque, that will free up all sorts of space versus body on frame. FUlly rigid, torsion free, and will never rust! :Wow1:

Hi cranecamsou,

Welcome to the thread. I think you will want to take a look at posts #722 to #740, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page73 and http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page74 . Also, if you are interested in anything else in particular, type a few keywords into google, and then add "Man or Tatra", or "Man or Tatra Integrated". This thread will almost always appear as the very first item. Try it: I just did the same for "Man or Tatra Monocoque", and google sent me straight to page 73. Imagine google as "indexing" this thread. All you have to do is type in keywords.

Doing the same for "Man or Tatra Carbon Fiber Monocoque" gets you page 87, where I address Carbon Fiber in some detail in posts #865 to #867.

If you have an engineering background, and you have any have thoughts about how Carbon Fiber and titanium might go together to create the ideal unibody expedition motorhome shell, by all means, please post!!! Most super-fast cars use some combination of the two; they don't use either one or the other. I still can't quite understand why they choose to use titanium in some bits, and carbon fiber in others. My friends tried explaining it to me, but it didn't really sink in.....:)

All best wishes,

Biotect

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Biotech -

I am in agreement with EGN that two of the Jenoptik generators would be ideal with a large (100kW +) battery bank. The actual number of miles driven at a time should be modest - especially when off road and when full power would be required. For good road cruising the 240kW of generator should probably be enough. Hard to say with the limited info so far available.

Jenoptik says they can do generators from 80 to 400 kW BTW - Steyr certainly makes higher powered versions of that motor. They also say that the 120kW generator unit produces 33 kW at 660 rpms....

http://www.jenoptik.com/cms/jenoptik.nsf/res/ESW_EnergySystems_2012.pdf/$file/ESW_EnergySystems_2012.pdf

I will hold off on commenting on the surfboard / kayak storage down the center of the frame...

Haf-e

biotect

Designer
Hi Haf-E,

That's a great pdf, and deserves to be permanently posted (weblinks have a shelf-life):

ESW_EnergySystems_2012a.jpg ESW_EnergySystems_2012b.jpg
ESW_EnergySystems_2012c.jpg ESW_EnergySystems_2012d.jpg

I didn't know that Jenoptik does military..... Also interesting that Jenoptiks has developed a high-voltage system to supplant/replace conventional 24 V systems.

Many thanks,

Biotect

PS -- Do comment on surfboards down the center, if you feel so moved. But first check out the videos in post #1230 on the previous page, and try to feel what it's like to need water; to be a waterman......:REExeSwimmingHL:

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Hi Biotech -

I live in the Pacific NW - so I don't know what its like to NEED water - we usually have too much of it... but I do have a pair of 17 foot expedition kayaks and a 50's aluminum foot Grumman canoe - so I have some experience in it. I have a number of friends who paddleboard, windsurf, kite surf and surf out of their Sprinter vans - several use inside storage options - some have to unload to sleep... UV damage is a concern for long term roof top mounting for some surfboards I hear.

Lots of ways of putting things up on roofs - I've even seen motorized kayak/board racks for high top sprinter van roofs that load from the side - my own Sprinter has a large "5 bar" tread aluminum roof deck (5' x 10') and a ladder for putting the kayaks up there - I don't have to worry about them being stolen at least! I recently removed the rear door mounted ladder and went to a telescoping one I keep inside - didn't really like the rear mounted ladder being there all the time. I mounted the solar array on the driver's side to keep the roof clear - it tips up for camping. No problem with it being damaged in the 10 years / 200k miles of driving that way.

I am waiting to see how all of the space allotment works out - still trying to imagine how its all going to fit with the 40 inch tires and high clearance under it all... its all a compromise of course - and I prefer smaller vehicles myself with less stuff... to me the Sprinter van is still huge inside compared to my Pinzgauer that I traveled in previously.

Haf-e

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
Hey Haf-E,

Any chance you'd be willing to post some images of how you've set up your Sprinter with kayaks on top? And images of motorized kayak/board racks for high-top sprinter van roofs that load from the side would be pretty cool too.....

All best wishes,

Biotect

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Hi thjakits,
graynomad: if you are reading this, it would also be interesting to know which you favor: IS, or straight axle.
Yes I am following this thread, but TBH all the talk about drive lines and suspensions is not only above my pay grade but also is of little interest to me. I have a 40-year-old truck so it's SA, in general SA is preferred over IS in 4x4 circles for the reasons stated many times above. If I was to do another truck it would be on a 30-year-old chassis so the same would apply.

Someone said you can't drive fast enough with portals. I ask how fast to you want to drive? I've been happy at 40-45mph for the last 14 years, is there any rush to get somewhere? If so maybe you should look at your lifestyle and slow that down a tad :)

When we got into the area of titanium and outriggers I almost gave up, I simply can't relate to the need for such materials and devices, they add a lot of weight, complexity and cost for little benefit, well I see it as little benefit although I can see that many people regard some things as essential that I think are a wast of time, and vice versa.

This brings me to levelling jacks, you can almost always find a flat spot, if not carry a few hardwood blocks, you will soon learn to look at the truck and say something like "two under that wheel and one under that one", low tech, $5 in cost, and they are useful for all sorts of things like fixing tyres.

Storage: Storage space is critical for long trips. At one point the wardrobe was mentioned and the gist of it seemed to be that it has to be as large as you have at home. This depends on the person as well but my entire day-to-day wardrobe consists of about 5 t-shirts and 5 pairs of shorts. I do have other stuff for cold weather but not much. I admit that I frequent warm places so my example is skewed, but I still don't think you need much storage for clothes.

As for providing a special kayak storage space, all I can say is make it a generic space because a lot of people have no interest in kayaks or indeed any other water sport.

I'll let you guys discuss drive lines, serial this and parallel that but I'm happy to weigh in on subjects more about the lifestyle and practicalities of living for years in a truck.

I will comment on the size, Wot1 was 10.5x2.5x4M and about 16t and there were 100s of places we couldn't go, as you know I rebuilt it, Wot2 is about 8.2x2.3x3.2M and 12t, we have been able to camp in places we could only dream of in Wot1. But even Wot2 is way too large to get into many of the really nice places and I'm now about to build again on a Landcruiser. The Cruiser will of course not be anywhere near as comfortable and can't carry enough supplies for long wilderness trips, but it will be able to go just about anywhere. The point is that you can have comfort or ability, not both. At 18t the TL simply will not be able to go many places, it won't even fit on many ferries in remote places, that's OK but you have to be happy with that decision.

Gatsma

Adventurer
I agree w/ Graynomad; this whole exercise is being WAAAAY over-thought. You are now discussing an absolute behemoth of a rig that would likely as not be the most cumbersome vehicle in the world to drive, and probably NOT be able to fit through many third-world city streets(and YOU WILL need to do so at times!).
This spaceship's gotta return to earth.

thjakits

Adventurer
Well,

there ARE huge rigs out there and going places.

I think Bio had a BIG rig in mind from the start - ....and that is what we try to figure out.

Graynomad has a very peculiar lifestyle - if I am not mistaken his WT's don't move much - but stay "on site" for weeks at a time (...mostly)
Obviously - you have to make a decision early on, on WHAT you want to do. Go small places or go big places or go big place and bring the small place explorer (Graynomad has his Jimny, though it seems it does not fit the bill totally, so now the Landcruiser is on the list again....)

It all depends!

I think Bio wants to take a new tack on high end Overlanders - with lots of amenities and toys and possibly a "Toy Store" in tow....

I am not sure this ever came up in Graynomad's travel exploits, but if I had a WT, I CERTAINLY would pull a trailer with the "little explorer" on it!
[That's the plan with the "Big as possible BUS"......]

Though if the REAL Terraliner idea is to be a "Surf Base Camp" - I think Terraliner is on a VERY wrong track.....
If you want to be able to access the most and best out-of-place surf sites - you probably need to go a LOT smaller!!
[Actually - UNIMOG territory!!]

[Now, that Bio "came out" and revealed the REAL purpose behind Terraliner - I think we need to re-think Terraliner. What Bio REALLY wants is a BAJA-Bug with an old VW-Bus body, blown up x4!!! ....painted on flowers and all!!]

I believe - Graynomads "dilemma" can not be solved with ONE vehicle - either you sacrify "comfort" OR you bring something smaller along...

I think ,if I decide to "move into a vehicle" (...not just for vacation, but "with no end date in sight") - I want it as big as it is practical for me - my case: BIG BUS and a TRAILER with the "essentials" - one of them another serious set of 4 wheels.
The "BUS" will go places close to the excitement and be a BASE CAMP from which to use the smaller vehicle to get all excited!!
[Jimny, Volvo C303, Vitara, etc....even a Hi-Lux or older style 4Runner]

If you want to be on the move every - or every other - day - this may NOT be the best set-up for you....

It really depends what the purpose is.....

Graynomad would probably get tired driving WT every day for a 4-6 hrs rather quickly - ....OTOH getting out for a spin of a few hundred klicks every 3-6 weeks and move to a new place (for the next 3-6 weeks) - ist just FUN compared.....

thjakits:coffee:

Last edited:

biotect

Designer
Hi gatsma, thjakits, graynomad,

thjakits, you described my agenda perfectly:

I think Bio wants to take a new tack on high end Overlanders - with lots of amenities and toys and possibly a "Toy Store" in tow....

That, actually, is the central objective. And you are right on track with the "Base Camp" idea.

I will illustrate the issue by asking a question, put generically, to anyone reading this: Do you think that retired couples who travel around the United States or Europe, "full-timing" in their large "Class A" or German "Liner" motorhomes, are engaged in "camping"? Is their central objective finding out-of-the-way places that only small vehicles can reach? This may be hard for many ExPo participants to understand, but lots of people actually like RV parks. And they actually like the "RV park lifestyle". Their objective is not to seek maximum solitude in a small vehicle in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes they will even stay in hotels, and visit the centers of cities. They just want to be able to drive from one city to the next, in their mobile home.

Furthermore, in Europe, there are plenty of RV parks located on city outskirts, with good public transportation that takes one into the city center.

My guess is that these same people would like to continue their "RV lifestyle" beyond Europe and North America, if they could. And as such, it's not necessarily remote beaches or empty landscapes that motivates them to travel. Some people really do want to travel because they want contact with other cultures, and other peoples. They want to meet interesting people; they don't want to meet interesting trees. And so for them, having an RV is not really about camping in remote places at all. It's about something rather different.

Analogously, traveling the world in a bad-road capable RV would be something different. For instance, such people would not want to travel China because they crave solitary mountain landscapes, although China does have these. Rather, they would probably want to travel China because of the culture, the history, the Art, and contact with a different way of life.

So I have been thinking of the TerraLiner as basically a German Liner or American Class-A motorhome that can actually leave the confines of North America and Europe. The intended "market demographic" of the TerraLiner is the same people who might buy an American luxury motorhome such as a Newell, Liberty, Millennium, or Marathon Coach. Yes, such people might want to do some "camping" and some "boon-docking". But boondocking full-time is not their central objective. They are not looking for a vehicle that will allow them to stay mobile living continuously in wilderness areas, for years on end, as far away from other people as possible.

Yes, I have been saying that the TerraLiner should be able to boon-dock for at least 2 weeks. But this is also a convenience thing: nobody wants to have to go shopping every two or three days, or even every week.

As such, my "target market" is not current overlanders who want to travel the world by motorbike, SUV, or small Unimog, gaining access to very remote places thereby, because their vehicles are so small.

In transportation design it's always important to remember that there are lots of different kinds of vehicles, that serve a wide variety of purposes. And amongst vehicles classified as "RVs", here too there is a wide range range of different types, serving very different "mission profiles". Even within the smaller sub-class called "van conversions", the range of uses to which people put vans, and their corresponding priorities, are incredibly diverse. But many people seem to mistakenly imagine that their own personal preferred "mission profile" for an RV, should be the one and only universal mission profile. That everyone should want to use an "expedition RV" (also a very broad category), to do exactly the same kinds of things that they would want to do.

It seems hard to hear this, perhaps because stating this amounts to reminding people of their own particularity. It amounts to reminding people of the "non-universal" nature of their desires, needs, income, etc. etc. As human beings it's always very hard to resist wanting to universalize from our own particular situations. It's hard to resist the urge to think of our own case as universally normative, as the standard against which everything and everyone else should be judged. And that general human urge is just as present on a forum like ExPo, as it is everywhere else.

So the way to think about the TerraLiner is this. Does there exist a market for large, 45-foot long, 13.7 m Class-A American luxury motorhomes? The answer to this question is obviously "yes". So too, does there exist a market for large, 9 - 12 m German "Liner" class motorhomes? Again, the answer here is "yes".

Now might these same people enjoy taking the same kind of vehicle, but a bit smaller (9 - 10 m), on a voyage around the world? Again, I think the answer is pretty clear: yes, they would. Would they prefer to do their around-the-world trip in a motorhome that more nearly resembles the Class A or Liner motorhome that they owned for a few years, while still in North American or Europe? Here too, I think the answer is "yes". If they could get a fully integrated design, with space-expanding slide-outs and/or pop-ups, just like current American Class A's, that's what they would prefer. They would prefer such a vehicle over most of the vehicles sold by UniCat or ActionMobil, vehicles that are not fully integrated, and that do not have big slide-outs. But of course, to negotiate bad-roads, such a vehicle needs a much better drive-train and chassis than a typical Class A or German Liner. The TerraLiner needs to be able to travel bad-roads in Second-World countries, or bad roads in more wilderness areas, such as the various tracks in Australia.

It's really a very simple idea, and it's not that complicated. Just imagine a 10 m Winnebago that really could drive around the world. A Winnebago that's not confined to North America, and that's not confined to just "good roads". A Winnebago that can also travel bad roads, but not necessarily much off-road. Or a 10 m Concorde "Liner", again, that can do the same.

Now the water-toys and coastal exploration thing is really just my own particular pet preference. But as you correctly suggest, graynomad, I should be designing something more "generic", and in fact I have been doing just this, so far. You are right: not everyone wants to surf or kayak. In fact, the market demographic that I am thinking of probably won't want to. But of course when engaging in a design project of this sort, there is always a strong temptation to inject a bit of one's own fantasy and whimsy into the thing. If I personally had the money to build a TerraLiner, my particular "mission profile" would probably be a bit different than the "mission profile" of the typical retired couple who just wants to drive around the world in comfort, in a Winnebago-sized fully integrated motorhome.

Personally
speaking, I would want to do exactly what I just described: circumnavigate continents, surfing or kayaking along the way. But also crossing Tibet, and driving the Andes. So I guess I got just a bit carried away for a moment, failing to distinguish between my own personal preferences and fantasies, and a realistic appraisal of the potential market demographic for the TerraLiner.

Again, as a design project, graynomad you are right: I need to keep the TerraLiner generic. My personal ideal TerraLiner would be a coastal exploration TerraLiner. But as a transportation designer, one does not get to design what one personally wants. Rather, one has to design for a client, or a given projected market. There is at least this much to be said for Hamid Bekradi's OEX-B: he had a very specific "target market" in mind. Bekradi imagined himself designing a futuristic version of the kinds of vehicles already used by commercial overlanding companies such Dragoman, Odyssey, Oasis, etc. Bekradi clearly did not design the OEX-B for himself. Rather, he designed it for a potential market. Whether his OEX-B actually "speaks" to this market, practically and aesthetically, is another story. But at least Bekradi had his target clear. See post #972 and following, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page98 .

In short, thanks for the critical feedback. I guess I just carried away for a moment, failing to distinguish between the ideal TerraLiner of my own fantasies (a coastal exploration vehicle), versus the TerraLiner whose market demographic I just described. I personally have surf-boards and windsurfers on the brain, I love Casa Azul, and yes, I love VW Kombi hippie buses and surf vans, painted with flowers (more about them later.....:sombrero:). But I have to stick to the design parameters (10 m or less), and the target demographic.
gatsma, I hope that the somewhat frustrated, grudgingly disappointed red-heat of my "re-entry" is warming you up, as you read this post......:coffeedrink: ... But you are dead right: the spaceship has gotta return to earth. Many thanks for the critical feedback: it was needed.

All best wishes,

Biotect

Addendum:

But before I get completely self-disciplined, and make a concerted effort to block my fantasy life from infecting the design process........ I just have a quick question for thjakits: why couldn't a big vehicle serve as a "Surf Base Camp" towing a trailer that has a smaller vehicle (for instance, a small Jeep Jeep Rubicon, about 4.2 m long); but a Jeep that can still transport surfboards and/or kayaks, up on top? See http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/ , http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/models/ , https://www.jeep.com/assets/pdf/wrangler_specs.pdf , and http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...eep-wrangler-rubicon-x-is-freakishly-capable/ :

3287774861_840517fd03_o.jpg 2011-06-04_17-34-53_841.jpg p_3593322_0.jpg
IMG_9803.jpg Jeep-beach-campsite-005.jpg 1370353550_1_FT3653_image.jpg
jeep-wrangler-2007.jpg

That way one could explore a given stretch of coast with the smaller vehicle, and also change one's surf spots depending on variable conditions. And then, at the end of the day, return to the TerraLiner Base Camp, parked in a spot that has particular aesthetic value, or safety value, but that might not be the best place to surf?

Last edited:

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.

George clarkes amazing spaces.
Some of the stuff he's done,and what he has on his programme is great.

Now imagine if you could incorporate surf boards into the external sides of the bodywork ......

Anyhow... Enough of giving you even more ideas .........

thjakits

Adventurer
I just have a quick question for thjakits: why couldn't a big vehicle serve as a "Surf Base Camp" towing a trailer that has a smaller vehicle

ABSOLUTELY!!!

...see:

Obviously - you have to make a decision early on, on WHAT you want to do. Go small places or go big places or go big places and bring the small place explorer

I just mentioned the typical Surfer-thing - stretch the money as far as possible - so, most will live as cheap as possible and live water,sun, surf and few more ....most won't want to "waste" much on transport! A good used old 4Runner will cost you 6-8K US$ here, fits 4 easy, 5 with a squeeze and split the fuel. Most surf sites have accomodation for all kinds of wallets or throw the camping gear in the back and the boards in their protection bags on the roof.....

I don't say that there are no rich surfers - I know one that built one of his dream houses right at walking distance from one of the best local spots, slighty up on a hill, so he can photo/film the action too [.....just visited a week ago - bringing my bosses son and friends there by helicopter...] - worst case, he too will take the helo to get where he wants!
BUT these guys are the exception not the rule......

Now might these same people enjoy taking the same kind of vehicle, but a bit smaller (9 - 10 m), on a voyage around the world? Again, I think the answer is pretty clear: yes, they would. Would they prefer to do their around-the-world trip in a motorhome that more nearly resembles the Class A or Liner motorhome that they owned for a few years, while still in North American or Europe? Here too, I think the answer is "yes". If they could get a fully integrated design, with space-expanding slide-outs and/or pop-ups, just like current American Class A's, that's what they would prefer. They would prefer such a vehicle over most of the vehicles sold by UniCat or ActionMobil, vehicles that are not fully integrated, and that do not have big slide-outs. But of course, to negotiate bad-roads, such a vehicle needs a much better drive-train and chassis than a typical Class A or German Liner. The TerraLiner needs to be able to travel bad-roads in Second-World countries, or bad roads in more wilderness areas, such as the various tracks in Australia.

I think you just did a little fine-tuning of the TL-specs, ......AGAIN!

IF this would have been defined right at the start - we could have saved a LOT of suspension discussion [THOUGH it was seriously fun and very educational!].
Just take any truck/bus chassis and get the AWD version - instead of the now usual low-profile/small tires use the WORK-tires (dump-trucks, log-trucks, etc...) these are way bigger than the regular fair, but not as huge as what you see on MAN/KATs, etc....
Good enough!!

thjakits:coffee:

PS: If you make your own TL - you can get to the mentioned top spot with it!! ....about a 11-12 hr drive from Panama - 1-hr ferry and a 10 min drive.
(Unless there was really bad weather and washed away the "beach-stretch".....then you can do everyone a favor and track out the new "road".....

biotect

Designer
Hi thjakits,

Many thanks for that. Just two points:

(1) The target market was sort of defined quite early in the thread. It's a long thread, so one cannot really expect everyone to read everything. But the idea that the TerraLiner will be a "9 -10 m Concorde that can travel the world" was defined fairly early on, within the first 15 pages or so, now almost one year ago. Of course, it wasn't defined right on the first page, because the idea only gradually took shape in the course of discussion with egn, in those first 15 pages. But if you check out those first 15 pages, you will see a number of posts in which I respond to the standard "That's not the kind of RV that I personally want!!" sort of counter-argument. I wrote a number of posts about "multiple expedition motorhome ideals", for instance: the very basic idea that there is no one perfect expedition motorhome to suit all tastes. That different people have different agendas, desire, and incomes; and that what "overlanding" means for one person, is not the same as what it means for another.

(2) Second, I don't quite agree that just a bus or truck chassis with big wheels and AWD will suffice. See in particular the posts about Peter Thompson's Mañana. Mr. Thompson built his fully integrated motorhome on top of an AWD MAN chassis, but one that could still flex. Mr. Thompson deliberately designed Mañana to be "bad-road" capable motorhome, and not truly "off-road capable". And Mr. Thompson only did a bit of true off-road driving with Mañana. And yet Mañana still suffered internal damage -- see posts #212 to #215, at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page22 . In particular, see where egn wisely wrote:

[Mañana] also showed that an integrated off-road motorhome has to be constructed carefully. This motorhome was usable on bad roads and not really off-road. And even then it was damaged during use. Small cracks and damaged tiles were only at surface. But if one had looked at the base construction itself, there may have been signs of more serious damage.

Ergo, the whole general point of this thread: A fully integrated expedition motorhome intended for some use (20 - 30 %) on bad roads, in Second-World countries, has to be built on top of a chassis that does not flex. This could be a MAN SX or Tatra chassis, or it could be a completely new, tubular space-frame. But simply building a fully integrated camper on top of the typical bus or truck chassis will not suffice. As egn suggested, the internal damage suffered by Mañana is proof of this basic point. Sure, one can build a "semi-integrated" or "pseudo-integrated" or "partially integrated" expedition motorhome on top of a chassis that still flexes; an expedition motorhome that sort of looks and feels like the fully integrated type. Paradise Motorhomes did exactly this -- again, see http://www.caravancampingsales.com....radise/paradise-motor-homes-mansion-4x4-24919 , http://4wdmotorhome.com.au , and see posts #879 to #884 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page88 and http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page89 , and posts #912 to #914 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pedition-RV-w-Rigid-Torsion-Free-Frame/page92 .

But for full, "real" integration something else is required, at a basic structural level.

Hence, I wrote:

If they could get a fully integrated design, with space-expanding slide-outs and/or pop-ups, just like current American Class A's, that's what they would prefer. They would prefer such a vehicle over most of the vehicles sold by UniCat or ActionMobil, vehicles that are not fully integrated, and that do not have big slide-outs. But of course, to negotiate bad-roads, such a vehicle needs a much better drive-train and chassis than a typical Class A or German Liner. The TerraLiner needs to be able to travel bad-roads in Second-World countries, or bad roads in more wilderness areas, such as the various tracks in Australia.

It's really a very simple idea, and it's not that complicated. Just imagine a 10 m Winnebago that really could drive around the world. A Winnebago that's not confined to North America, and that's not confined to just "good roads". A Winnebago that can also travel bad roads, but not necessarily much off-road. Or a 10 m Concorde "Liner", again, that can do the same.

It's a simple idea, but the execution is not simple. From a structural point of view, the TerraLiner simply cannot be just a Winnebago chassis with AWD and big wheels. The TerraLiner can't even be based on a MAN 6x6 TGS off-road construction-truck chassis, because the MAN TGS chassis still flexes.

But in closing, many thanks for the further thoughts about surfing. :)
... Here are some videos about Jeeps, beaches, sand, surfing, and kayaking:

[video=youtube;i_X__ijnHJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_X__ijnHJE [/video]
[video=youtube;IfO3bM2uuWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfO3bM2uuWY [/video]
[video=youtube;gz5Eu089xbw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz5Eu089xbw [/video]

And see the YouTube playlist at
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDD9F941A847EE274 .

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

thjakits

Adventurer
The target market was sort of defined quite early in the thread. It's a long thread, so .....

RELAX, Bio, .....just pulling your leg....

Quote corrected:

" IF this would have been defined right at the start - we could have saved a LOT of suspension discussion..... "

MAÑANA:

After delivery from Europe, the MAN 18.284 4x4 chassis was lengthened by MAN in Queensland, Australia. But to Mr. Thompson’s knowledge, the chassis was not radically stiffened or strengthened.......
-
The body did suffer some damage due to the chassis flexing, with cracked wall and ceiling panels mostly, and a few cracked tiles. But no tiles came off, even though the a specialist ceramic tile supplier warned that they might.

Wel - just as a remark/note:

a) Even when done by the factory-dealer, once you touch the chassis you are opening a can of worms!
[NOT sure about MAN, but normally chassis rails are heat treated AFTER all holes/bores are done - you are NOT supposed to weld or even drill after that anymore - that's why you usually see LOADS of holes/bores in a chassis - for apparantely no reason - ready for any and all possible configuration and attachments.....probably not a concern on the Mañana, but ....

b) Body damage due chassis flex: This is not necessarily a reason for a super-stiff chassis. Look what Greynomad did on both WTs!!
His chassis flexes about 2nd only to a UNIMOG!! I didn't read/hear anything about a cracking body (...unless he referred to any super model in one of his photoshots!! :wings:).... The (open...) secret here is PROPER mounting of a stiff body on a flexible chassis!

Graynomad has some rather extensive write-up about this! Triangular or diamond layout!!
And if you care to read up on it - this is not just a simple welding exercise - it takes some some serious engineering to get it right.....

To "integrate" the driver cab area, you just extend the box forward - you will have to get some "flexibility" into the steering column/connection, but that is certainly do-able.

I DID mention this very early on in my posts - ....but you were adamant about a super-stiff body/chassis....
[Though a stiff/rigid chassis is NOT an absolute must for avoiding body problems....]

Talk AGAIN to your engineering buddies - STIFF is do-able, but your tolerance between max load and breaking is a lot LESS than with a flexible chassis.
After all, most trucks in the world use a rather flexible chassis...
[In aviation this is very much the case - you want a soft failure, not a snap failure!! ON a fighter you have way less bending forces than on a airliner - and STILL it also flexes!]

I did not look into the details (IF they are available....) of the Mañana body/chassis interface.....

Second, I don't quite agree that just a bus or truck chassis with big wheels and AWD will suffice.

For MOST you mentioned in the last few posts what you want Terraliner to do - it certainly would. You mostly eliminated any serious "wheeling" - to make SURE you can follow and pass "....most roads where commercial trucks can go" - all you need is a little more clearance (bigger tires), AWD (most commercial trucks are NOT) and lockers.....

BTW, since you adopted the 1+2 layout (axle wise) I started to observe local trucks with that configuration.

Mainly local flatbeds, loooong (10-12m), short coupled tandem, steering only on the front. Some have both tandem axles driven, some only the first one, but all have dually wheels (both tandem axles have 4 wheels total...)
What I can see is:
- If they are empty, forward axle slides/slips to the inside of the turn, no tire deformation visible
- rearward axle slides/slips to the outside, no tire deformation visible
- If they are loaded (mostly construction material - flatbeds: blocks, steel), tires deform a LOT, and scrub eventually (to the point of leaving visible tracks on asphalt), also the front tires start to "push" a lot! This would get progressively worse with a shorter truck....

...only to urge you to NOT forgo the second steering axle on your design....

cheers,

thjakits :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78