TetonX Hybrid

adamalli

@RoninWanderer
We will be touring Utah for the month of April and plan on stopping by the shop again on our way back to Las Vegas near the end of the month. I'll post up any updates I get while I'm there.

Well if you find yourself near Goblin Valley (North of Hanksville) the weekend of April 17th you are more than welcomed to check out my Hybrid. I have done a few modification to it, nothing to major. We will probably be there Friday through Monday assuming the weather is good.

wsudu

Really thinking about getting this, I do a lot of offloading and I'm worried about the width. Has anyone bought this and wished they would've bought something a little bit less wide or am I worried about nothing?

As far as I can tell that seems to be within the JKU's conservative 3500lbs tow rating, right? Perhaps with stock gearing and a heat-generating automatic transmission there might be more to worry about, but with a manual transmission and 5.13 gears I have no reason to be concerned.
I've seen a lot of Wranglers towing trailers like this, within this weight range. I was told to stay at or below 50% of my tow rating for off road use, but I don't know much about the topic. Our Tacoma has a tow rating of 6500 lbs and my hitch is integrated into my steel rear bumper, so it's quite strong. We should be below 50% for sure. But seeing all the Wranglers towing on the trail, tells me that 50% thing is probably BS someone fed me that got caught in my brain lol! Good gearing will go a long way! We are at 4.88 on our Taco, very curious to see how it handles with the trailer.

Tow ratings are based on braking, cooling, and high-speed stability (wind). The weight to be pulled is always under the vehicle's true capacity (given the average incline). Look at the JK and JT. The JT can tow 7000# (not exact, but around that), yet it is marketed/described as sharing as much as possible in parts as the JK.

It also behooves trailer drivers to know how much the trailer weighs loaded. I remember watching an X Overland vid and they said their xVenture trailer weighed 5000#. <tommy lee jones face>. You can make estimated guesses very easily and get a ballpark, or you can weigh things with a bathroom scale and add everything up (which is what I did). Outside of the RTT, water, tools, and coolers, ALL of our camping gear (including extras that don't come on the trip) came out to 400# (plus rounding up for ease of addition). And this is with heavy sleeping bags, 15 different lanterns, silverware set, cast iron pans and griddle, games, bear sprays, etc. So having an xVenture trailer hitting 5000#.... I find dubious. But I guess it's better to have people overestimate weight than underestimate.

I've seen people who apparently never heard of tow capacity. 2nd-gen Highlander hooked to a ~28' travel trailer. Oh vey.

Wendell-R

I reconfigured the way the bed gets set up in the Hybrid

DSCF1467.jpg

DSCF1472.jpg

We had the bed laid out lengthwise to fit tall people without kicking the window screen or shade out and so both people could have a backrest to lean against when sitting up in bead reading or drinking morning coffee. And it avoids the need for crawling over someone when you have to get up at night. I also build little "caddies" for each side to keep things like phones, headlamps, coffee cups, charging cords, etc. in. They were originally intended to keep the two separate sections of mattress from sliding apart and creating a gap, but I think the fitted sheet probably would have been enough.

DSCF0288-2.jpg

Setting up the bed was a bit more trouble than I wanted it to be - I had the process down to where setting up or tearing down the bed took about 5 minutes each way, but it seemed clunky.

With the bed lengthwise, there is a separate table that unfolds and gets positioned next to the table insert to support the foot part of both sections of mattress - and it's pretty heavy and bulky.

DSCF1474.jpg

Instead, I build two new supports that have foldable legs on the outside end and that rest on the ledge that the old table insert rested on. It's clamped with little cam clamps similar to those the hold the pop-top down on the outside.

DSCF1462.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

DSCF1465.jpg

The larger section becomes the table. It's more square than rectangular so you have more options when sitting to use it.

DSCF1468.jpg

DSCF1469.jpg

The other nice thing is that you only have to take down one side of the bed. And it can be used by a single person without having to set up and take down the bed configuration morning and evening.

DSCF1471.jpg

And with only one person on a trip, a single bike can be left inside - before, it would have had to be moved to the roof rack of the truck and locked down.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
A big difference in tow ratings will be the wheelbase. Longer wheelbase equals higher tow rating, usually.

Tow ratings are based on braking, cooling, and high-speed stability (wind). The weight to be pulled is always under the vehicle's true capacity (given the average incline). Look at the JK and JT. The JT can tow 7000# (not exact, but around that), yet it is marketed/described as sharing as much as possible in parts as the JK.

It also behooves trailer drivers to know how much the trailer weighs loaded. I remember watching an X Overland vid and they said their xVenture trailer weighed 5000#. <tommy lee jones face>. You can make estimated guesses very easily and get a ballpark, or you can weigh things with a bathroom scale and add everything up (which is what I did). Outside of the RTT, water, tools, and coolers, ALL of our camping gear (including extras that don't come on the trip) came out to 400# (plus rounding up for ease of addition). And this is with heavy sleeping bags, 15 different lanterns, silverware set, cast iron pans and griddle, games, bear sprays, etc. So having an xVenture trailer hitting 5000#.... I find dubious. But I guess it's better to have people overestimate weight than underestimate.

I've seen people who apparently never heard of tow capacity. 2nd-gen Highlander hooked to a ~28' travel trailer. Oh vey.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
All things being equal, that's the difference between a Gladiator and a 2-door Jeep. Or an R1T vs an R1S with regard to towing ratings.

DRAX

Boy, just when I thought my wife and I were set on an OGT Pando 2.0 I come across the Teton X Hybrid. I have an email out to the folks at Teton X with some questions (lead times, spec and price sheet, some build questions) but maybe some owners here can provide some details as well. We currently live in the Midwest where it can get pretty hot and humid and having the 12v A/C option also opens up places to go while remaining comfortable. The OGT trailer has no wood, it's all metal or composite. Knowing the various conditions that the trailer could be exposed to, there being wood as part of the construction does worry me a bit. Someone had mentioned in a previous post that Teton X was thinking about going to composites but their site is pretty lacking when it comes to technical details.

Someone mentioned poplar being used, I'm assuming that's plywood and maybe some framing? Does anyone have details on the construction of the box itself?

At some point, my wife and I are planning on hitting the road for long periods of time and the trailer will likely see lots of temperature/weather extremes, from hot and humid summers to cold and icy/snowy winters. I want to ensure whatever we go with is going to be up to the task in terms of both durability and functionality. I don't want to have to worry about minor water intrusion or condensation leading to rot, mildew, etc.

Am I worrying too much about there being wood/plywood used as part of the construction? Is there any particle board used anywhere or is all of the wood plywood and framing materials?

It looks like they are (or were) using something like a 6 gallon RV water heater instead of an instant water heater? Is that still the case or is there an instant option?

With the Pando 2.0 we liked the galley layout and having the option of adding a second fridge to the tongue storage box, but the galley with the Hybrid looks well thought out as well, though galley storage seems to have suffered in comparison to the Pando 2.0, on the flip side there's a lot more space and functionality inside the trailer.

I also like that the pop-up portion doesn't have to be up to still comfortably be inside if it's really hot or cold and you want to keep it more closed up. Then if we one of our daughters with us she has a bed in the trailer rather than having to set up a bed in the back of my truck.

The newer side door looks to be the same as what the Boreas XT uses, they look well built but I didn't like that the door had to be completely open to use the screen. With the Hybrid I can see there are additional windows (options?) available so the door doesn't have to be open to have a breeze.

Has anyone looked at or seen both the Hybrid and Pando 2.0 in person? I'm really struggling with this decision now. Help! :)

SuperSolarDude

Boy, just when I thought my wife and I were set on an OGT Pando 2.0 I come across the Teton X Hybrid. I have an email out to the folks at Teton X with some questions (lead times, spec and price sheet, some build questions) but maybe some owners here can provide some details as well. We currently live in the Midwest where it can get pretty hot and humid and having the 12v A/C option also opens up places to go while remaining comfortable. The OGT trailer has no wood, it's all metal or composite. Knowing the various conditions that the trailer could be exposed to, there being wood as part of the construction does worry me a bit. Someone had mentioned in a previous post that Teton X was thinking about going to composites but their site is pretty lacking when it comes to technical details.

Someone mentioned poplar being used, I'm assuming that's plywood and maybe some framing? Does anyone have details on the construction of the box itself?

At some point, my wife and I are planning on hitting the road for long periods of time and the trailer will likely see lots of temperature/weather extremes, from hot and humid summers to cold and icy/snowy winters. I want to ensure whatever we go with is going to be up to the task in terms of both durability and functionality. I don't want to have to worry about minor water intrusion or condensation leading to rot, mildew, etc.

Am I worrying too much about there being wood/plywood used as part of the construction? Is there any particle board used anywhere or is all of the wood plywood and framing materials?

It looks like they are (or were) using something like a 6 gallon RV water heater instead of an instant water heater? Is that still the case or is there an instant option?

With the Pando 2.0 we liked the galley layout and having the option of adding a second fridge to the tongue storage box, but the galley with the Hybrid looks well thought out as well, though galley storage seems to have suffered in comparison to the Pando 2.0, on the flip side there's a lot more space and functionality inside the trailer.

I also like that the pop-up portion doesn't have to be up to still comfortably be inside if it's really hot or cold and you want to keep it more closed up. Then if we one of our daughters with us she has a bed in the trailer rather than having to set up a bed in the back of my truck.

The newer side door looks to be the same as what the Boreas XT uses, they look well built but I didn't like that the door had to be completely open to use the screen. With the Hybrid I can see there are additional windows (options?) available so the door doesn't have to be open to have a breeze.

Has anyone looked at or seen both the Hybrid and Pando 2.0 in person? I'm really struggling with this decision now. Help! :)
While it doesn't answer your question, I'll chime in with my opinion. From 06 until recently, I've lived in 2 different fifth wheels. Both, at some point, have had a water leak. Be it from the roof or interior plumbing issues. At some point, every trailer will have a water leak of some sort. It may be miniscule and not cause any damage, but there is almost always a leak, even if the owner never knows it. I was looking at larger offroad trailers, but recently decided on something smaller. I saw a pando in person and loved it. It was between that and the overkill so510, of which I decided on the overkill. Both solid trailers and I love that both use no wood, which, was my main criteria.

DRAX

While it doesn't answer your question, I'll chime in with my opinion. From 06 until recently, I've lived in 2 different fifth wheels. Both, at some point, have had a water leak. Be it from the roof or interior plumbing issues. At some point, every trailer will have a water leak of some sort. It may be miniscule and not cause any damage, but there is almost always a leak, even if the owner never knows it. I was looking at larger offroad trailers, but recently decided on something smaller. I saw a pando in person and loved it. It was between that and the overkill so510, of which I decided on the overkill. Both solid trailers and I love that both use no wood, which, was my main criteria.

Thanks, yeah that's how I'm feeling as well. We've owned travel trailers, an RV, a pop-up trailer, etc. and have dealt with various leak/moisture related issues, from warped paneling, to soft spots in the floor, to stains, etc. Considering how and where the off-road trailer will be used I'm still leaning towards the Pando 2.0 as something that will hold up better over time and, hopefully, hold its value well. The Teton X's layout/size for the money is pretty compelling, I just don't know that it's enough to make it worth the risk of there being wood involved.

If we lived or used the trailer in the southwest where it was dry then I wouldn't give it a second thought, but the trailer will be subject to wet, humid, snowy, icy, hot, and cold conditions as well as various water crossings and it seems like the wood may end up being an issue at some point.

mzeee

I reconfigured the way the bed gets set up in the Hybrid

View attachment 665565

View attachment 665566

We had the bed laid out lengthwise to fit tall people without kicking the window screen or shade out and so both people could have a backrest to lean against when sitting up in bead reading or drinking morning coffee. And it avoids the need for crawling over someone when you have to get up at night. I also build little "caddies" for each side to keep things like phones, headlamps, coffee cups, charging cords, etc. in. They were originally intended to keep the two separate sections of mattress from sliding apart and creating a gap, but I think the fitted sheet probably would have been enough.

View attachment 665567

Setting up the bed was a bit more trouble than I wanted it to be - I had the process down to where setting up or tearing down the bed took about 5 minutes each way, but it seemed clunky.

With the bed lengthwise, there is a separate table that unfolds and gets positioned next to the table insert to support the foot part of both sections of mattress - and it's pretty heavy and bulky.

View attachment 665568

Instead, I build two new supports that have foldable legs on the outside end and that rest on the ledge that the old table insert rested on. It's clamped with little cam clamps similar to those the hold the pop-top down on the outside.

View attachment 665572

View attachment 665573

View attachment 665574

The larger section becomes the table. It's more square than rectangular so you have more options when sitting to use it.

View attachment 665570

View attachment 665571

The other nice thing is that you only have to take down one side of the bed. And it can be used by a single person without having to set up and take down the bed configuration morning and evening.

View attachment 665576

And with only one person on a trip, a single bike can be left inside - before, it would have had to be moved to the roof rack of the truck and locked down.

Do you mind sharing where you found the little storage totes at the sides of the bed?

mzeee

I'm also curious about opinions with respect to wood in trailers such as the TetonX.

That said, I believe that all the trailers from TetonX are composite now.

DRAX

I'm also curious about opinions with respect to wood in trailers such as the TetonX.

That said, I believe that all the trailers from TetonX are composite now.

Man, if they are composite now with no wood then that makes the decision more difficult! :D We'll see what they respond to my questions with.

Wendell-R

Do you mind sharing where you found the little storage totes at the sides of the bed?
I built them - they are extremely handy! They fit on the lower front shelf when the bed isn't setup. They have slots for an iPad, a phone, a coffee mug, glasses and a catchall space.

Initially, I thought of them to keep the two sections of mattress together, but with a fitted sheet, it probably isn't necessary.

I built cardboard mockups for the first couple of trips to make sure the dividers were in a good spot and after that was settled, built the real things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179