The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

hillstrubl

Observer
Does anybody know where I can source locally a set (5 including spare) of 255/85R16s that aren't BFGs? I'm looking specifically for Coopers, El Dorado Trailcutters, Dunlop RVXTs, Mastercrafts, etc. I don't have a problem paying for quality (and really have no problem with the BFGs, I just want to see what my options are), my problem is after searching around I'm finding many alternative (smaller/off-brand) tires with great reviews in this size for much less $ than the big companies that I've been able to find. Shipping costs defeat any savings in tire cost. I'm going to head over to Sam's club tomorrow to see if they can source the Dunlops in that size. Pep Boys can get me a set of 5 Coopers for $1100. I'm posting from outside of (NE) Philly. Any help would be appreciated.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That Pep Boys price sounds pretty good.

Find/call a local Cooper tire dealer, there must be a few in Philly. I bet they are more expensive.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Here's a good pic of the Eldorado Trail Cutter RT

trailcutter_rt.jpg

reece146

Automotive Artist
As much as I understand the merits of this particular tyre configuration - my concern is always around availability - especially when you require a replacement tyre (that can't be repaired fore example)

I ordered tires yesterday. I really wanted to get the 255s but in the end I stuck with a mainstream size. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere waiting for an oddball size to show up.

I was kind of concerned about the sidewall to contact patch ratio in this size for on-road limit driving as well. ******** happens. That's a pretty tall sidewall. Regular sizes have more than enough for air down work in the bush. Probably an unfounded quibble.

jim65wagon

- my concern is always around availability - especially when you require a replacement tyre (that can't be repaired fore example)
That's exactly why I switched to a 285, although I love the 255 size, it's lack of availabilty was always a concern for me.

reece146 said:
I was kind of concerned about the sidewall to contact patch ratio in this size for on-road limit driving as well
I never had an issue with spirited driving on twisty mountain roads. Our Tundra handles very well for a truck and (when it had 255s)it could easily handle an "OMG!" situation (been there done that!) on I95 near DC.....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip... I never had an issue with spirited driving on twisty mountain roads. Our Tundra handles very well for a truck and (when it had 255s)it could easily handle an "OMG!" situation (been there done that!) on I95 near DC.....

That was my expirence was well, running 255/85R16 on a few 4WDs, nothing unsafe or unstable about them. I also have used 255s to avoid collisions.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have been on 255's for over 7 years and have not experienced anything like the worry of sidewall flex during emergency maneuvers. Nor have I found it difficult to find replacements. Of course I only use the BFG MTs. Either the old ones or the new ones.

I have contemplated going with some Intercos that measure 34x10.5R16 LTBs and would still have zero worry about sidewall flex. Of course LTBs would be trail only, but I'd have to drive to the trail which would mean highway speeds.

I think everyone should should listen to those inner voices. If yours is telling you the higher sidewall is an issue, then by all means listen to it. Nothing can replace peace of mind.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Help needed please!

I'm currently in the middle of a search for new set of MT tires. I've pretty much narrowed it down to BFG KM2s in one of two sizes: 255/85/16 or 285/75/16. These will be used 1/4 tarmac, 1/2 gravel, 1/4 mud

I'm pretty much set on the 255/85s but the MFG specs seem a bit off. The width listed for them is approximately 6.8" which seems very narrow. (the 285s are 8.7" wide) Someone with a set of KM2 255/85s, could you please put a tape measure on one and confirm width? There are no sets in any retail stores with 300 miles of me....

Thanks!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I used to run Q78 super (35-10.5-16_ swampers and then 38-11.5-15 boggers daily on a 78 f250 in portland oregon traffic never once did a taller sidewall worrie me in traffic. Yes your tire will flex but that can be to your advantage. When its time to purchase tires for my truck they will be of the tall narrow variety 33-9 to a 36-10. I no longer drive on the freeway much. I will never have a worrie.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip..

I'm pretty much set on the 255/85s but the MFG specs seem a bit off. The width listed for them is approximately 6.8" which seems very narrow. (the 285s are 8.7" wide) Someone with a set of KM2 255/85s, could you please put a tape measure on one and confirm width? There are no sets in any retail stores with 300 miles of me....

Thanks!

I no longer have a set of BFG KM2 to measure, but BFG's numbers are not far off. It depends how one measures, but the staggered outer lugs of a mud-terrain often make the tread face narrower if the measurements are done across the narrowest section of tread.

My included picture shows how narrow and rounded the 255/85 KM2 tread is, sandwiched here between the Cooper S/T on the left and Maxxis Bighorn on the right. Cooper lists the 255/85 S/T tread width as 7.2", which is very close to what I have measured. Maxxis doesn't list tread width but my tread measurements indicated about 7.75" wide. To my surprise and in contrast with the prior BFG M/T, the KM2 255/85 is a very narrow tire with a very narrow tread face. However, it doesn't look quite as narrow on a truck because of the nice sidewall lugs, which the Cooper S/T lacks.

IMG_5950.JPG

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Back to top for this old thread. Sad day, a lot of these 255s have really dried up, a lot of manufacturers have dropped them from their lineups...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Hoping for more 255/80R17

Back to top for this old thread. Sad day, a lot of these 255s have really dried up, a lot of manufacturers have dropped them from their lineups...

Yes sir, I could not agree more. The choices are few, and fewer all the time. Even when this thread was started the options had already dwindled. Sixteen inch wheels are not the future with few new 4WD trucks coming with wheels as small as sixteen these days. Thankfully I still like the loud, soft, and relatively inexpensive Maxxis Bighorns, but when they are gone I may be forced to run 285s on my F350.

I think the realistic hope for those of us who like this size will be the introduction of more 255/80R17 treads, but progress has been very slow. Even when there is eventually a few 255/80R17 tires available I predict the size will never be nearly as popular as the 255/85 was a couple decades ago. If we are lucky there will be as many 255/80R17 choices in the future as there currently are 255/85...which isn't many.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'm on the fence about 255 right now as well but have found a couple good options.

I wish they still made the Toyo AT in this size but I will say that the toyos are expensive. They still make the Toyo M55 in this size but they are super expensive. There are still the coopers as well.

And then there are the Eldorado/Laramie Trailcutters (Treadways corp - parent company of Big O as well) make this size. The Coopers look good but I'm not sure how much siping there is therefore I'm not sure how good they are in the snow. The Trailcutters can be found for less than $200 a tire, which is huge. I found this link where I can pick them up at a local regional distribution warehouse for about $195 a tire with tax, no mount and balance. The link also says they are are made by Cooper, not sure if this is true.

I'm going to call some Big O franchises and see if i can them cheaper through them locally perhaps with a mount and balance and possibly with a warranty as well.

Here is another detailed pic of the trail cutters... These are D-rated but the load is 3000 lbs per tire, almost the same as an E rated tire. Which I think is OK. they aren't too heavy either which is good for keeping fuel mileage in check as well...

TempraTrailcutterRT.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior