The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm on the fence about 255 right now as well but have found a couple good options.

I wish they still made the Toyo AT in this size but I will say that the toyos are expensive. They still make the Toyo M55 in this size but they are super expensive. There are still the coopers as well.

I don't believe the Toyo AT was ever offered in a 255/85R16.

And then there are the Eldorado/Laramie Trailcutters (Treadways corp - parent company of Big O as well) make this size. The Coopers look good but I'm not sure how much siping there is therefore I'm not sure how good they are in the snow. The Trailcutters can be found for less than $200 a tire, which is huge. I found this link where I can pick them up at a local regional distribution warehouse for about $195 a tire with tax, no mount and balance. The link also says they are are made by Cooper, not sure if this is true. snip...

Those are a nice looking tread and I've always understood that the Trailcutters were a private label tire manufactured by Cooper, but I don't know that first hand. My memory is that the Trailcutter and Cooper S/T specs in 255/85 are identical.

Erik N

Adventurer
I seriously considered those Trailcutters, in that size. But I chose a set of M-55's over them (at almost twice the cost, ugh) because it seemed that only a handful of shops sold them. Like less than 5 that I could find.

Les Schwab had my M-55's the next day.

The tires that the Toyo's replaced were also a Cooper offshoot, and also 255's. When aired down they had a "squashed mushroom" looking sidewall, like a stiff tread area matched to a weak sidewall. The Toyo's have a nice even flex to them.

Thread here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/7861-Toyo-M-55?p=1171020#post1171020

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Has anyone used the Goodyear Wrangler AT? Apparently it is available in 255/85r16. snip...

I don't think so, search the size on Goodyear's site. Maybe the were in the past, like many treads were.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Finally got my 255 85s km2s installed, they are amazing. Never switching tire sizes again!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The 255s I was eyeing were for our diesel box truck that I'm lifting 2"... I'm definitely still a huge fan of 255 85 but instead we went for 235 85 R16 which are 31.8" tall and only about 6" wide, basically 255's slightly smaller cousin. Been averaging about 16 mpg out of the truck, which is huge, and that is at 65-70 mph highway speed. There is defintely something to be said for keeping it smaller related to mileage... Here are photos. I think it will still look good with smaller tires though I probably would have done 255 if I felt like spending the extra $$...

So I'm just mentioing for anyone interested. Also 235 85 is designed for / popular on the rear side of duallys, so they are all E rated, if it helps. For me this is good I would run e rated on any truck I have personally...

These are Cooper Discovery ATR which are being discontinued in favor of the AT3. I got these for only $126 each which is pretty awesome. AT3s are killer but are about $180 each. 235 is pretty inexpensive in general as a size because its used in so many fleets...

1336-M.jpg

here is the type of terrain I've been driving the box truck in. Fresh snow 1-2" deep in a rear wheel drive box truck with no limited slip. Add 450 lbs to the rear (aka a snowmobile) and the thing is unstoppable. This is in Guardsman's Pass in Utah at about 9500 feet and a very steep climb up from Park City..

1343-M.jpg

1342-M.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
I found a link to a PDF file on Goodyear's website:

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pdf/resources/publications/DataBook_LTRUK_P.pdf

It is LT255/85R16 Wrangler AT (D). I assume the D is the load rating. Also, it is under "miscellaneous tires". Seems to be available here in Texas.

Where in that .pdf do you see an AT in 255/85R16? I only see the AT in 195/75R14 on page 83. (Mail truck tire)
I'd buck up for some 255 AT's if they made them, as I really those tires! :)
C

<EDIT> I found them!! They're on the chart on page 49 but not in the back, where the AT only shows up in the tiny size... I found some old reference to them (circa 2004/05) but nothing newer than that, and I can't find them on any tire websites... I think you're going to travel back in time to get them, or if you do find some, they'll be 10 years old or so I bet... Dang it.

Last edited:

F350

Observer
FWIW - If you run a dually like I do, the 255 is the tallest tire you can run without spacers in the rear. A lot of the 255's are D rated. There is only 2 that are E rated, Toyo MT's and BFG KM2's which is what I have. I hope they keep making them otherwise I'll be looking for 17" rims and spacers most likely. :(

bfdiesel

Explorer
FWIW - If you run a dually like I do, the 255 is the tallest tire you can run without spacers in the rear. A lot of the 255's are D rated. There is only 2 that are E rated, Toyo MT's and BFG KM2's which is what I have. I hope they keep making them otherwise I'll be looking for 17" rims and spacers most likely. :(
also toyo M-55 that makes three.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

My M55s were 1/8" apart with a 3/8" spacer between on my Alcoas. I had to go to a full 2" spacer. It sucks...

F350

Observer
My M55s were 1/8" apart with a 3/8" spacer between on my Alcoas. I had to go to a full 2" spacer. It sucks...

I wonder what the offset on dually wheels are? I have about 3/4" on mine. I tow a 9K lb boat and now have the FWC and mine don't even come close to each other. FWIW, I was going to go to 285's with 2" spacers until I found out that all of the local tire shops wont even touch a truck with them yet alone mount a 285 on a 6" rim. :( Doesn't look like there are any 8x170 17" wheels (that I have found) either so if the 255's go away I don't know what I'll do. I think the toyo MT's are a tight fit like your M55's.

p4217073-4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan