The Carnage Repairs Begin!

justcuz

Explorer
Oh boy, nicely done on the rear spring shackle.
Do you have to retain the body lift for the shackle to move through its full travel?
The workmanship looks nicely done.
I am surprised about the axle seals though, as many applications as the Dana 44 has been/is used in, it seems crazy those seals are unavailable. I wonder if the GM 10 bolt used the same seals as a Dana 44? I always liked the idea of the seals out by the axle end behind the Ujoint at the knuckle.
Can't wait to see more pictures of the project.

Its ridiculous how long its taking, but its true you cannot fault the workmanship, its painfully perfect. The issue was the inner seal on the old vacuum disconnect side of the 44 was some different set up.(slightly different, I mean slightly) As far as body lift, we believe so.To remove the body lift would mean having to cut fenders with out a doubt. Could be done, just elected not to. Seems to handle well and not be tippy off road at all, and not bad on highway. I agree the rear shackle is real going to give some great articulation and not be likely to flip. Springs are donor springs from a lifted TJ. Knuckles are Reid Racing and axles and locker are 31 spline Yukon.

justcuz

Explorer
What is the WMS compared to a full sized Dana 44 on say a pickup or full sized Blazer? Also with the Montero rear axle being 59" wide do you need to add spacers in the rear of are you staying stock width in back?

Can't wait for more photos, the spring brackets are a nice way to do a rear shackle spring over, yet keep it low.
Kudos on that design.

I dont really know about other WMS, I just remember others had said the Waggy was close in width. I had spacers already, which I like. The shop wants to remove them. Will have to see what happens after they cycle it thoroughly which was supposed to happen today but they took off early for the holiday instead....Still need to learn what small business is about.

justcuz

Explorer
Small business is about flexibility and enjoying life really.
However the owner should make it clear that your expectations may be greater than his reality!
To encourage a small business to meet your expectations you pay by the job, not by the hour.

I looked up Wagoneer front axles 57.5 to 59.8 inches. It all depends on if they were disc or drum brakes and 5 or 6 lug wheels.
Early Wagoneers were passenger drop, drum brakes and 5 lug wheels. When they created the Cherokee around 74 the axles had 2 widths, standard and wide track. I believe standard was the 59.8 with the 6 lug disc brake and the wide track was the Cherokee Chief at about 63". Wagoneers and 4 door Cherokee's never had a wide track axle set in them. Somewhere along the line they went from passenger drop to drivers drop axles, not sure when. Your new front axle is very close to the stock width of your rear axle, that is probably why they want to remove the spacers.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
If your customer service oriented then you are exactly right. Many today are not.
It's funny too, as many talented fabricators are not good businessmen.
I've seen several good fab shops go out of business because they are involved in off road racing and go to all of them to be there for their customers if they have a problem. However Joe regular guys pre runner project languishes in their shop until they go pick it up and take it elsewhere or hound the guy to finish the project.
Many times your lucky if they finish the vehicle before they go out of business.
Sad to see, but I still think the fab on your Montero is top notch.

That is so true about talented fabricators not good with business. I see that all the time. You have to also realize you have to turn wrenches and turn out projects to make money.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Adam, they said GOOD fabricators.

Sorry, my mistake. Fabricators that work for free are really bad at business and free backyard fabrication hurts my credibility as a "talented" fabricator. Vicious cycle, hopefully i'll be quitting the weld shop soon and i can go back to being a hobbyist and buy some better at home equipment we can use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12