The Cherokee is back?

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
I'm guessing there will probably be a speed and or rpm safety on the low range like the Rubicon's had for the lockers and sway bar disconnect.

Being that this platform is IRS and a fwd based power train I really doubt it'll tow 5000lbs

Quinn

Observer
Being that this platform is IRS and a fwd based power train I really doubt it'll tow 5000lbs

It's rated to tow 4500 lbs. Other crossovers in the Cherokee's segment are rated much lower.

As a comparison, the 4Runner, with a full frame and solid rear axle is rated to tow 4700lbs.

haven

Expedition Leader
One potential issue with the 2014 Cherokee is interior room. While the Cherokee measures an inch or two longer than the Forester or CR-V, the interior volume is less, according to Allpar.com. The difference seems to lie in the height of the vehicle and the slope of the roof toward the rear hatch.
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/specifications/cherokee-14.html

Allpar.com lists the space behind the first row of seats in the new Cherokee to be 56 cu. ft. The Forester has 68 cu. ft. behind the first row, the CR-V 71 cu. ft. A Wrangler Unlimited has 70 cu. ft. The Cherokee's reduced interior space may mean more gear would be stowed on the roof, reducing fuel economy.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
883233_10152688927765206_497020657_o_zps22d0306a.jpg

FYI, snapped this pic at the unveiling in Moab last week. This is the Trailhawk level.

- Andy

haven

Expedition Leader
Cherokees through the years:

1st generation
Cherokee-Gen1_zps5bd5f842.jpg

2nd generation
Cherokee-Gen2_zpsfe850d59.jpg

3rd generation (aka Liberty in USA)
Cherokee-Gen3_zpse7de64e3.jpg

3rd gen styling update
Cherokee-Gen35_zpsd99bf787.jpg

4th generation
Cherokee-Gen4_zpse0b8a9e9.jpg

Idahoan

Adventurer
Is American Motors back in charge? Gawd that's an awful looking thing.

I'm glad to see the Compass has an uglier sister.

Ceejus

being the former owner of 4 XJ era Cherokees, i hated it at first, but i have to admit, it seems pretty capable, and the looks are growing on me. it would be a good replacement for my wife's Outback for sure! wonder if i can talk her into it....

duckhunter71

Adventurer
being the former owner of 4 XJ era Cherokees, i hated it at first, but i have to admit, it seems pretty capable, and the looks are growing on me. it would be a good replacement for my wife's Outback for sure! wonder if i can talk her into it....

A normal headlight setup would change it completely. That being said, the looks of the Trailhawk are really growing on me. While it isn't what a "purist" would want, it should be capable enough for the majority of the population needing some sort of four wheel drive. I'm going to check them out for the heck of it. I like all of the technology that is going into these - they really seem to be trying to make a splash (even though some of the designers are clearly on crack!).

teotwaki

Excelsior!
After Jeep trotted out their "unique" design...
Cherokee-Gen4_zpse0b8a9e9.jpg

They were disappointed to find that the name Vehicross was already taken :elkgrin:
2000_isuzu_vehicross_2dr-suv_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
I agree with Ceejus that the Subaru Outback was probably the model Jeep was targeting as they developed the new Cherokee. The Outback has 4 and 6 cylinder engine options, AWD and extra ground clearance, lots of room for four, and a more stylish exterior.

squareaffair

first, nice call on the Vehicross - and honestly not a poor design reference for inspiration - but of a cult following, and a cool vehicle in general. Im on my third xj myself - and no, the new one does not have the classic looks, but i want to hope jeep isnt as daft as a lot of people are making them out to be on this one. toyota has the 200 series landcruiser, landrover has the freelander (escape), and i think the new cherokee has a chance of fitting itself in there. also im not saying the 200, a freelancer and the cherokee are similar vehicles - but that the cherokee hasnt had a chance to prove itself yet like the others - which turned out better than initial predictions (like people are all making now)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998