The Expedition Fitness Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
[/SIZE]This thread is for fitness and nutrition information, stories and discussions: Physical activities like epic bike rides, running, kayaking, diving, snorkeling, surfing, hiking, climbing, skiing - all the things we like to do when we get to our ExPo destinations require hard work before hand to ensure success and remain injury free. Proper diet is just as important as excercise so that has a place here as well!

Here's some of what I enjoy...

Being in the military I am required to run... it's OK but I try to balance running with low impact to save on joint wear and tear. I run 2-3 miles, three times a week. A good run time for us is 1.5 miles in about 11:00 minutes for the Navy standard and 3 miles in about 22:00 minutes for the USMC standard (for my 38-40 age group).

I enjoy mountain biking most of all because its low impact and I can cover alot of ground at lunch... I ride my Specialized HardRock an average of 12-17 miles 2 or 3 times a week depending, 17 miles takes about 1.5 hrs pouring it on in top gear, a road bike is in my future sometime. It's nice to put on the mp3 player and disappear on the bike at lunch. My work is near the San Luis Rey river trail in Oceanside which is a nice long haul :D

I also enjoy the gym, but I dont lift as much as I used to... an hour a day a couple days a week is all I need... it's just for fun.

I also LOVE good long hikes/backpacking ( I hiked Bright Angel trail from the South Rim to Phantom Ranch and back in ONE DAY last August, I was hurtin' but what an epic! :smilies27)

Snorkeling is GREAT, was in Okinawa in July and had a visit from a stingray. Need to get scuba certified so I can see more...

Kayaking is awesome too, need to get one of those.

Skiing... I'm not too good at but it's fun :eek:

All this sweat helps me to be ready when it's time to hop out of the truck and explore! :shakin:

Now, post up your fitness and nutrition plans, routines, routes, bikes, 'yaks, toys, etc.!!!

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Winter daily lunchtime I climb Camelback at ~1320 verticle. Summer daily lunchtime I try and swim about 1.5 miles on shortcourse. And every morning I try and run about 5 liesurly miles.

I used to alpine ski competitively 4 times a week in the winter, and competive swiming twice a day in the summer, but skiing now for me is often nordic and a pasttime.

I endo'd on some flats at about 25mph on my mtn bike over 4 years and still have scars and pain from the torquing of my back and to date havn't been able to get back into it.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
pskhaat said:
I endo'd on some flats at about 25mph on my mtn bike over 4 years and still have scars and pain from the torquing of my back and to date havn't been able to get back into it.

LOL, I did that endo thingy downhill once, went OTB over and over landing on my right hip... big 'ol bruise and scuffs then but seems OK now... we'll see how I feel at 60... :sombrero:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I'm mostly into curling the heavy ones :beer: atleast 20 oz

No seriously I work out at the gym 3 days a week. 30 min cardio and 30 minutes hard core lift with almost no break in between to keep cardio up.

I ride bikes occasionally so paddling is my main thing. I have done about 20 miles this week which is not alot but something. My primary fitness for adventuring is from the gym

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
This thread is terrible!

My daily routine consists of waddling out to the garage to stretch....my leg over the BMW, then for the lower body, I push the bike out the garage door before immediately moving to work the upper body....by pushing the bike left/right/left/right as needed to get around slow movers on the freeway. I end the routine by stretching once again (leg back over the bike), then waddle inside the warehouse for my cup of coffee. :smilies27

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
pskhaat said:
But what are the repititions?

We usually start out with ten, four count excercises (see the jelly donut scene in Full Metal Jacket as a reference) and eventually end up doing 20 four counts excercises of each.

Sometimes it's just " Our next excercise will be Marine Corps pushups, we will do MANY of them... starting positions, MOVE! Ready, EXCERCISE! 1, 2, 3, ONE! 1, 2, 3, TWO! 1, 2, 3, THREE! 1, 2, 3, ONE! 1, 2, 3, ONE! 1, 2, 3, TWO! 1, 2, 3, THREE! 1, 2, 3, TWO!..." for what seems like an eternity... :smilies27

Good stuff.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Dave,

Before I leave San Diego I will give you my local biking and hiking books.

My current fitness program is almost non-existant, but when I do exercise it is usually on the mountain bike or day hiking.

I haven't done any serious weight lifting for about 6 years.

I need to start running ASAP, but I will take it slow and steady.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I have a Proform Pro 1500, it's treated me well no problems. I love running but hate doing it outside in the winter when it's freezing. When I was looking at treadmills there was a really good site I found, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is.
http://www.treadmilldoctorstore.com/

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'm trying to step it up a bit and get back into the shape I was in up till a couple of years ago. For me I love exercising outdoors and detest working out at gyms, despite the fact that my girlfriend is a personal trainer. Most of my exercise comes from trail running, biking, paddling, or swimming (this one is pretty seasonal in these parts!).

I used to run trail half marathons and other shorter distance trail runs, mostly for fun, I was never a contender for the top, especially considering all the Olympic caliber nordic skiers that enter those around here. My goal last year was to train for a trail running marathon on Grand Island National Recreation Area but I ended up getting scheduled to go somewhere on that weekend for work.

Biking is another big one. I've been heavy into cycling since I was a kid. I got burned out, especially with mountain biking 5 or 6 years ago and just ran alot instead. Something about the simplicity of just throwing your shoes on and going, versus gearing up, fixing what ever issue my then old and tired bike had going and hitting the trails. I road my last mountain bike, a Mongoose IBOC Team, which was a really sweet bike, for 11 years and completely rebuilt it 3 times over the years. Well, 3 years ago I sucked it up and bought a new bike, a Specialized Epic Team which blew me away. Climbs like a hard tail but has full suspension. So, I've been hitting it up again pretty hard. I also picked up a new road bike 2 summers ago a Specialized Allez elite. Great bike for the cost really. As much of an anti gear weeny as I try to be, the new bikes made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the sport. Locally there are quite a few big mtn bike races in the summer, one of which is the Ore To Shore, a 48 mile point to point race that I try to do every year when my work schedule allows. Another great one is the Lake Superior Bike fest which hosts a variety of road and mtn bike events. I'm hoping to do at least 2 races next summer. The winter has been warm so far here, so I've been able to ride lately still. Once it gets to snowy I resort to my bike trainer in my basement.

Paddling is a great upper body work out. I mix it up between my kayak and canoe. I really love paddling Lake Superior with its mix of rugged shorelines, beaches, sea caves, etc. If its calm I take the canoe and usually throw in my snorkel gear, if it is rough, I take out kayak and either tour, or if its bigger surf the breaks.

I've been trying to fill in the gap using bouldering or rock climbing to work on upper body and core strength. In my basement I've got a little areas set aside for my physio ball and do some propreoceptive excercises on that. Those are great for developing core strength along with whatever other area you are focusing on, while simultaneously enhancing your coordination.

Telemark skiing is something that I used to do alot more and find that great for the legs but don't really do it enough nowadays to count it. Alpine skiing somewhat but I do more standing around then actual skiing so I don't really think of it as exercise much.
That was a bit longwinded but I really get into this stuff as you can tell.:wavey:

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Interesting thread. I'll post up some transformation pics later in 07 when I drop the rest of the weight I want to drop. Got up to 320 in the mid 90s, now I am sitting about 255-260 with 19% BF. I'm shootin for 220 with 10%BF. Bodybuilding is what I enjoy, but my cardio needs to improve. My max dead lift and squat are both 405 and bench is around 260. Body for Life is a great book that has helped me a lot.

Winters I ski and snow shoe, summers I hike and paddle too.

Clutch

<---Pass
TACODOC said:
I'm considering a treadmill for indoor runs when it's freezing cold here in SoCal :sombrero:

Are you kidding us? Freezing in SoCal??? :D

I expect the gym to be busy tomorrow with all of the New Year Rezzers... That will last maybe 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan