The Expedition Fitness Thread

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I just thought about this...

My 9 month old is starting to walk now. About 4-5 steps at a time, and within a week or so, he will probably be all over the place. Not too long after that, he will probably know how to run.

On the exercise front...I will probably have all the exercise I need just keeping up with him!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Fat_Man said:
I just thought about this...

My 9 month old is starting to walk now. About 4-5 steps at a time, and within a week or so, he will probably be all over the place. Not too long after that, he will probably know how to run.

On the exercise front...I will probably have all the exercise I need just keeping up with him!

Mine is 4, and that was my theory too, but so far it hasn't panned out. I'll admit there's still a chance, but it hasn't happened yet. :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
pskhaat said:
That picture is just cruel! Me want!!!!!!!

This is borderline trolling, but I can't help myself. Its just so brilliant! However, I apologize - before pictures would probably have been somewhat more appetizing.

265726442_8e068b77a0.jpg

Yes, I take pictures of my food at random intervals.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Oohh....that is sooo mean. Heck, I just ate, and that STILL makes my mouth water. Peanuts, too! Wrong...just....wrong....

:wings:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yeah, and work provides FREE LUNCH!!! How can you say no to free food? It's just not natural!

Someone needs to challenge us as to who can loose the biggest percentage of weight. Without a competition how can I possibly self-motivate? :D

durango_60

Explorer
I'm actually in a weight loss competition with my brother in law right now. The loser has to wear a speedo for a day when we go to Belize in May, I AM NOT GOING TO LOSE!!!

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
SeaRubi said:
* cut out the alcohol.

See this is why you shouldn't believe everything advertisers say.:elkgrin:
To think I had given up my post workout protein shake for one of these,
Beer.jpg

because I had seen this sign,
263735-Guinnes-is-Good-for-You-0.jpg

Boy talk about false advertising.:p

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Lost Canadian said:
Considering 16 ounces of orange juice has 200 calories and 16 ounces of Guiness only has 170 calories, that's not entirely false. :p

Beer's not just for breakfast anymore!

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Fat_Man said:
Now interested, do you mainly credit that book with your turnaround, or are there other things you could point out that would help? I am just a few good steaks shy of your mid 90’s weight (alas the user name!) and would like to get a little better shape (ok a LOT better shape) in the next few years, before this weight settles in to stay for good.

My ideal is probably about 250ish. I have no illusions of becoming a fitness star and I have been around 250 before, and it suits me well. 50-60 lbs doesn’t seem like such a big step, but I assure you it is harder than you think. Even when I went the year without red meat and did exercise and moderate my diet, I didn’t get below about 280. So always interested to hear success stories of others that have been where I am and are where I want to be.

Sorry, missed your question. The book I linked is good and has helped me with diet mostly. The thing that has worked for me is simply eating more. If I eat 6 small meals a day that are not loaded with fat & carbs, the weight just seems to melt away. It's hard to stick to that though, it really is a lifestyle change. All it takes is a bad week of Hooters and cheesburgers and it starts coming back right away. I am getting better though. Without my friend and work out partner Jayson getting on my case, I'd have not made it where I am now. You definetely need a support system. Good luck amigo.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Missed this thread when it started but am feeling guilty because I haven't made good on my New Years resolution until today.

Generally I have been in pretty good shape. I am now about 2 months shy of my 27th birthday and the metabolism is definitely starting to slow down. I played H2O polo in high school and rowed LWT crew in college. Never had to worry about anything I ate, just devoured everything in sight. I was even cutting weight in college to make weight for the boat. Usually dropped and regained about 10lbs every week in the spring...

Aside from organized sports I have always been body boarding and surfing since about birth, and started mountain biking regularly about 13.

Never was really a big runner until I met my wife though. She has now run 2 marathons. We just ran the Honolulu marathon in December. My knee started to give out about mile 21, but I managed to run/walk the last 5.2 miles. It was quite painful! Then I naturally lost all of my endurance over the holidays, so its back to square one with running.

I lift weights on and off but can never seem to stick with it for more than about 6 months on a regular basis.

Finally went to the gym today. I'm determined to stick with it.

I'm not going to even get into the food subject, I am weak!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online