The long slow FG build!

BruceAndKrista

Howdy folks! I’ve been a member here for a bit while doing some research on Fuso’s - but have not posted much at all. Wife and I started our “big truck” adventuring with a Fuso FE, just to see how we liked it, and after one trip decided that this was the right direction for us, and we wanted to find an FG. Fast forward through a pandemic and I am now well into my very slow going build up of a 2013 FG! I try to post most of my “learnings” on YouTube - as when I started out I found it quite hard to find info and content about folks building these trucks, though the popularity is really taking off now!

Anyway - I thought I’d share our channel link here - I try to cover a lot of technical and repair items, so hopefully there is some I do here that can be useful to folks seeking hard to find info!

Hoping to have our build somewhat sealed up by the fall, but I’m insanely slow at getting stuff done LOL!

Latest video is building some spring mounts for the sub frame, but there are lots of others on the channel if you are looking for Fuso/build/repair content! Enjoy!

Fuso FG Chassis to Sub-Frame spring mounts - DIY build!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I’m insanely slow at getting stuff done LOL!
If I use myself as a reference, I would argue that you are simply an apprentice in that area... :rolleyes:

Out of interest... how are you controlling fore, aft and lateral movement of the subframe?
Are you relying on the bolts in the spring mounts for this, or are you also using other means?

BruceAndKrista

Out of interest... how are you controlling fore, aft and lateral movement of the subframe?
Are you relying on the bolts in the spring mounts for this, or are you also using other means?
There will be some guide plates to allow for movement up/down but not fore/aft/sideways. - I’ll likely place them between the two half’s of the spring mount in an H shape, but not yet fully determined.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
There's a good chance the nuts could work loose if the spring loses tension on any of the threaded rods, which will likely happen when the body articulates.
Niloc nuts are an option, which I think I may have seen being used in your video, but I think that 2 nuts locked together would probably be more secure.
Just my 2c worth...

BruceAndKrista

There's a good chance the nuts could work loose if the spring loses tension on any of the threaded rods, which will likely happen when the body articulates.
Niloc nuts are an option, which I think I may have seen being used in your video, but I think that 2 nuts locked together would probably be more secure.
Just my 2c worth...
Yep, using Nyloc for sure but great idea to double nut as well!

BruceAndKrista

In case anyone is watching this space…. Here is one of the videos in the sub-frame / tray back build!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG flatbed / tray back build part 2

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi Bruce

Good to see you posting here!
I've been watching your videos for a while now and always really enjoy them! I was in Montreal and Ottawa area this summer and met a few Fuso owners to get information as I'm considering getting a Fuso for my next build. Would have been nice to connect as well, maybe for another time!

Quick little pic of my truck meeting a distant relative in Gatineau, a Fusobulance ;)

Cheers
David

Hambo Fuso.jpg

BruceAndKrista

Cool! Great looking rig you’ve got there! I have a feeling that there is soon going to have to be a SouthOntario rig meetup! I just hope mine is built in time! Thanks for watching - plenty more videos coming!

Mitsubishi Fuso Camper Build - Using composite panels

Hi Bruce! Great build, we've been following along on Youtube. We noticed that you bought composite panels and are located in Ontario? We are just outside Niagara Falls, NY and have been having a terrible time sourcing composite panels for our camper build. Would you mind sharing where you got your panels from?

baipin

Hey, cool seeing another Ontario build here! :) Been following along with the Youtube channel. Great work. Is this the black Fuso 4x4 that was for sale on kijiji a year or so ago?

BruceAndKrista

Hi Bruce! Great build, we've been following along on Youtube. We noticed that you bought composite panels and are located in Ontario? We are just outside Niagara Falls, NY and have been having a terrible time sourcing composite panels for our camper build. Would you mind sharing where you got your panels from?
Hi! Panels were purchased from NextRV, contact Jean Francois at 514-*3*-8534 (just replace the *’s with a 2) - hope that helps!

BruceAndKrista

Hey, cool seeing another Ontario build here! :) Been following along with the Youtube channel. Great work. Is this the black Fuso 4x4 that was for sale on kijiji a year or so ago?
Thanks for watching! - Almost but not quite! - I bought two of these fusos at auction about 2 years ago, the one you saw for sale was its twin (I was selling it after fixing it). It went to quebec and has been through an impressive overland build!

BruceAndKrista

Well I think it’s time to update this thread a little! (I have mentioned I’m slow at things right?). ?

Back to some welding!

Mitsubishi Fuso Camper build - TIG welding the aluminum floor structure part 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior