The long slow FG build!

BruceAndKrista

Let’s add a few more to continue the catch up! This time it was about attacking all the loose rust on the frame, and using the needle scaler to get back to solid material in prep for paint. This work sucks, but it gets the job done!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG chassis 911! De-cRUSTification!

BruceAndKrista

In preparation for having the habitat box able to be “self lifting” off the flat deck of the truck, I picked up some *slightly different* tools for the job. These were intended to be electric trailer tongue jacks - but I think they will do the job just fine.

Electric lift jack testing - Mitsubishi Fuso Sub frame prep.

BruceAndKrista

With the sub frame lifted off the truck, and the chassis back half prepped, it was finally time to paint the chassis!!

Painting the Fuso frame with Chassis Saver!

BruceAndKrista

Let’s catch up a few more! There is a lot of metric hardware on this truck that I was hoping to be able to re-use, but the thought of cleaning it all just isn’t appetizing. Thankfully, I have an easy way to clean hardware!!

Don’t throw it away! - Restore your rusty hardware!

BruceAndKrista

Next up it was FINALLY time to paint the sub-frame! Now it feels like some actual progress and things are starting to look like a build!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG sub-frame painting

BruceAndKrista

And of course, no paint job would be complete without sealing up all the cracks to prevent moisture from getting in. Only time will tell if I had enough sleep the night before…

Sleepy seam sealing!

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Very interesting videos! Thanks for sharing them!

I might be picking up a GMC W4500 soon so all the de-rusting and chassis painting is super interesting for me. Since I live in Montreal, I'm also very familiar with rust! ?

BruceAndKrista

Very interesting videos! Thanks for sharing them!

I might be picking up a GMC W4500 soon so all the de-rusting and chassis painting is super interesting for me. Since I live in Montreal, I'm also very familiar with rust! ?
Glad you enjoy them! Yes, it is unfortunate what winter does to our vehicles up here!!! Take a look at chassis saver, it’s not that expensive and really seals things up!

BruceAndKrista

Installing the Noco Genius float charger to keep everything topped up while the truck isn’t running.

NOCO Genius 2D install in a Mitsubishi Fuso FG

BruceAndKrista

And putting on some protective film to isolate the aluminum decking from the steel (painted) chassis.

Flatbed Deck protection, Mitsubishi Fuso Camper Build

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Glad you enjoy them! Yes, it is unfortunate what winter does to our vehicles up here!!! Take a look at chassis saver, it’s not that expensive and really seals things up!
I've used POR-15 a few times. Seems like they're close chemical cousins. But I will look up Chassis Saver next time. Thanks for the tip! ?

BruceAndKrista

Couple more videos to catch up! Replaced the fuel tank vent, man was it ever crusty!!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG fuel tank vent replacement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12