The Map is Not the Territory: A Northern Maine Adventure

Jakes01234

Explorer
so haw many miles did you travel between gas stops? I have a 220 mile range safely and am trying to figure out how much more fuel i should carry when up there..
When are you going to go to elephant mountain?
I was going to try to get out there come spring

epicxcrider

Observer
Hard to say, depends on the terrain/route, speed, and driver. I would say 5 gallons would be fine for going almost anywhere up there. That should be enough to get you 100 miles. We brought more because the route I had planned did not include detours for gas.

Don't know about Elephant mountain, lots of other things in the works right now.

Enfield Aili

Beautiful photos, great writing. We've talked about making a trip out to the trains on dirtbikes - will definitely need a couple support vehicles. Thanks for sharing.

epicxcrider

Observer
Beautiful photos, great writing. We've talked about making a trip out to the trains on dirtbikes - will definitely need a couple support vehicles. Thanks for sharing.

Can't get thayah from heyah! They don't allow motorcycles or bicycles in the North Maine Woods. Best bet to do it motorized is on a sled in the winter. If you are planning a trip I can recommend some roads for a dirtbike up there. PM me!

Thanks for the compliments :)

mainefj40

I live in central Maine and have spent a lot of time riding these roads for fishing and moose hunting. I now own a nice LX450 and plan to do more of the trail portions that you have displayed in your write up. Previously my CrewMax Tundra wouldnt really fit through any of the trails so I really look forward to some adventures in a great part of the Country. I have gone through from Greenville to Portage all on dirt roads in the past but these were mostly logging roads that you could drive in a car if you really wanted. Great write up and I look forward to reading more...

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great write up! Been banging around the NMW (unfortunately sometimes literally! LOL) since I was a kid. The B52 site is very cool...definitely do that. When you think about them crashing in winter it will give you chills!

This pic:
Card%2525203%252520%2525281368%252529.JPG

reminded me of the time my buddy and I were going north of Fish River Lake....we followed the trail along the stream....the road peters out just like this picture shows....after slowly pushing the alders in front of us for a loooong time (of course it was probably only a couple of miles but "travelling" that way it seems like forever :)) the alders suddenly went down in front of us and right in front of us was a nice grassy campsite area at Togue Pond with kids playing frisbee....fortunately no one had put their tent right up against the brush as we would have driven right through it! There were about 4 of 5 campsites there and everyone just stopped what they were doing to turn and looked with that WT*bleep* look. :Wow1: We just smiled...waved...pulled out on to the gravel road and left. :smiley_drive: LOL We found another way back. ;)

beardus supremous

Adventurer
Amazing writeup! First i have heard of the B-52 crash, on my to-do list for this year(as it is now 2012). I would love to see those trains as well, alot of my friends sled up to there in the wintertime. My wife and i were acually in rangeley that weekend you guys went threw. small world.

goulou67

i would read, on and on and on!!!!

excellent trip report guys i loved it! being from new -brunswick ,it was nice to see places, i,ve been before usually come in from the norteastern tip of maine, limestone area and work my way down:ylsmoke:

epicxcrider

Observer
That was me, and Thanks! We were staying in a cabin in Rangeley for the weekend trying to do some skiing. We gave up because of the crap conditions and ended up climbing a few snow - covered mountains in the FJ instead :) In fact, I think it was called Snow mountain!

jps4jeep

Observer
New here and just read the entire trip detail. Very inspiring, I need to put together a trip up in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12