The new iPhone

hoser

Explorer
Our two-phone contract with Verizon ends in 4 months. Early cancellation fee would be $350! :(

Can I wait that long? Maybe I'll just keep the Mrs on Verizon for when we need cell coverage.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
yeah its criminal... I have another 15 months with Verizon. I am still gonna ditch the contract and pay the fees.

hoser

Explorer
Just comparing the coverage maps... the same light cream areas indicate "no coverage" with both providers.

For California, Verizon has significantly better coverage especially along the northern coast.

As Spresso said, ATT just sucks in most of Nevada.

For Arizona (sorry Southern AZ is cut-off on the map) but it looks almost like a wash. ATT has spottier coverage but covers areas north of Flagstaff which Verizon doesn't.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
My ATT receives calls south of AZ in Mexico with standard service :wings:

I have been very happy with my ATT service, it seems to work where ever I go.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Been with ATT (Cingular) and T-Mobile. Folks all around getting service while I suffered. Switched to Verizon. NEVER lost a call since!

Had this phone for over a year. Been on the bottom of the pool, kicked across parking lots, ... takes pictures underwater, etc.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
iPhone GPS

Schattenjager said:
I don't think it is going to be true GPS in the satellite meaning of GPS. The last update for iPhone allowed us to use tower location triangulation to get a decent 'fix' on location. It is just enough for directions and Google map navigation. Works well, but if you have no cell signal, I don't think you'll have GPS either.

But then again...:rolleyes:

As others have mentioned, it is a real GPS, but a review I saw yesterday said it's pretty useless due to poor reception. The tester blamed a very small antenna saying if there were any obstructions satellite reception was lost.

Regarding service. I'm using Verizon, which is generally good, except in my house (long story), but up on the UP a couple of weeks ago I had trouble getting service even in some wider than normal spots in the road.

Jim

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
kellymoe said:
Why do I need a iPhone? How will it change my life?

It really is amazing.

1. I was in downtown LA the other day, at 5PM, looking to leave and head home (orange county), ordinarly about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive (40 miles). The area I was in was convoluted, hilly, and all one way streets that I was unfamilar with, and with about 4 different freeways converging in the same spot. (s. figuroa street). On my iPhone, I opened Google Maps, tapped Current Location, tapped in home, and it routed me to the right freeway on ramp without issue, and I could see all the traffic speeds on the highways between there and home. I made a few alternate connectors, and got home in 40 minutes, bypassing all the wrecks and bottlenecks, and made it home for dinner and the good graces of my wife.

2. In Carlsbad at a job site, starving for lunch, I searched GoogleMaps for "Mexican food", and it found a dozen sites near me, one of them my favorite San Diego chain, Aldebertos! I tapped on it, and it routed me right to it.

3. Was at dinner not too long ago with the family near a movie theater. While waiting for the food to arrive, I browsed Fandango, bought tickets online, and had the confirmation emailed to me. Finished dinner, walked up to the Will Call window (other lines were packed!), gave them my name, they asked for my printout, I held up the phone, and she read off the conf. number and handed me the tickets.

4. Yesterday I was at lunch (I seem to eat a lot) with some business guys, and the topic went to offroading. I cranked up the iPhone, and let them browse through some of my favorite off road photos in my gallery. Then the dicussion turned to Maui and our favorite vacation spots. They'd never heard of mine, so I opened Safari, and browsed to Napili Kai Beach Resort and let them cruise the website over appetizers.

5. My mortgage is paid via automatic deduction. My wife called me in a panic, saying our checking acount balance was too low and the mortage draw wasn't going to get covered. No problem, open up Safari, browse to BofA's iPhone tuned interface, transfer funds, crisis averted. I was driving to a job site while I did that, listening to music with the AWESOME iPod functionality plugged into my car stereo, seamlessly.

6. Today I needed to go a new contractors office. In a hurry, I left the address at the office like a dork, but had an email of his in my phone. iPhone can read and recognize phone numbers and addresses. Sure enough, I opened his email, his signature line had his company URL, clicked on it, Safari'd to his website, click on Contact, and his address was automatically hypertexted by the iPhone software, clicked on it, and it routed me there via GoogleMaps.

7. The screen on the iPhone is amazing, and the ability to resize things by pinching or spreading your fingers is life altering. My wife finds herself trying that on her laptop touchpad, and she only occassionally uses my phone. It's sorta like a scroll mouse. Once you get used to it, you can't go back to the old two button puck.

8. I added a nice photo of my wife to her Contact in my iPhone. Now when she calls, her photo is full size on the brilliant screen. Interestingly, because it sync's with Outlook through iTunes, now when I get an email from her on my PC in Outlook, her photo is embedded in the email header. Pretty cool.

9. I've been re-watching BSG and Firefly lately. I have them downloaded from iTunes. I had time to kill between appointments, I hit a fast food joint, and ate in the car. While waiting, I turned on Firefly episode 6, plugged into my LR3 radio for surround sound, and watched all 40 minutes (no commercials!) of the show on the brilliant screen, with excellent audio surround.

10. When we first saw the billboard ad for WALL-E, my kids got real excited. I Safari'd to Apple's Quicktime movie trailer archive, turned the phone sideways, and let the kids watch the trailer in wide screen hi-res streaming off the WiFi connection where I was at. The speakers are loud enough to hear across the room (if the room is quiet), and we all enjoyed the trailer, and several others. Built in YouTube specific player mode is similar, and works on Edge pretty well, should be great on 3G. Was teasing my wife a bit, and showed her the YouTube'd Jeep advertisement titled "bouncy is good". Who needs a computer anymore?

I have an 80GB iPod 5G for long family trips, and it's pretty full. Close to 400 albums and some movies and lots of photos. My iPhone is 8GB and I thought it would not be enough, but I have a few hundred high-res photos, a few large tv shows, several thousand contacts, probably a hundred emails at any given time, with a full calendar, and still only use a small fraction of the memory. I have to be selective on what music I have loaded, but I have about 100 albums loaded currently, and am hitting about 6.5gb in usage.

Last edited:

Blair G

Adventurer
evidentlly a complete meltdown of the iTunes network has pretty much shut the whole system down. Both new 3g phones and people want to update to 2.0 have some pretty cool bricks.
I wonder why I waited. :)

Blair

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Well, truth be told about the 'melt down' was that Apple was a little too gung-ho and released a new phone AND an update for the old phone on the same day. The melt down was only server traffic. I got my new version on my old phone with no problem.

I played with one of the demo's tonight - store was sold out - and I have changed my mind about upgrading. I can only see a few advantages:

1) GPS chips - I don't know about antenna problems - it worked fin inside the store about 10 feet from a window.

2) universal headphone jack - a big short coming on the old iPhone

3) 2X More capacity

4) Seems to have a slightly different screen - same size but the graphics looked shaper next to my old one sitting next to it.

I just don't see the above being worth $300 just now.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Have you noticed much difference in the audio? It is supposed to be "substantially and noticably improved" in the 3G version. I use the speakerphone option frequently, it works okay, but it would be nice to improve upon it.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Lines still out the door here in Central Coast CA - heading to another smaller Apple retail store tomorrow - ATT retail no phones yet in this area :Wow1:

GHI

Adventurer
So the last two posters are bots right. Anyone else notice they keep posting in tandem on threads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior