The new iPhone

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Just noticed the new version. I like the price much better too. Too bad i drop my phone way to much to ever buy the iphone.

Dave

Explorer
The cost of the phone dropped, but the per month data plan charges from AT&T went up.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I just sold my first generation Iphone on Ebay for $70 less than I paid for last year...to some guy in Germany...

:)

so now I just have to wait a month....

:(

I think the new GPS feature is going to be pretty cool.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
iPhone GPS

I don't think it is going to be true GPS in the satellite meaning of GPS. The last update for iPhone allowed us to use tower location triangulation to get a decent 'fix' on location. It is just enough for directions and Google map navigation. Works well, but if you have no cell signal, I don't think you'll have GPS either.

But then again...:rolleyes:

chrismc

Adventurer
I can't find the article I read earlier today, but it is an actual GPS. The location functionality actually uses three different methods for triangulation: WiFi network signals (I don't quite get that one), cellular network, and then hardware GPS (in that order). Supposedly the accuracy is <3m.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I want one but...

I would like one, being able to synch my iCal on my PB would be very nice. Though I'm very reluctant to change back to ATT for cell service and give up Verizon. I changed to Verizon a few years ago after a motorcycling buddy with Verizon often had a cell signal with Verizon where I didn't with ATT.

But he is such a techno 'geek' that he had to get an iPhone when they were introduced. He loves the phone, hates the ATT network, and recommends against getting an iPhone because of the ATT network.

But our Verizon contact will be up in another six months and we will certainly have to consider new phones

ExpoMike

I have the same feeling about service. I have been with Verizon for 16 years (back when it was Airtouch) and love the service. I got it originally since it was the only one I could get service out in desert and mountain.

I really like the iPhone but just can not bring myself over to ATT service. Had a loaner unit from work for a few weeks and the service was spotty at best. Heck, my wife works for ATT and we still won't go over.

Sure would be nice to see the iPhone opened up for other providers. Oh well, guess Apple won't get my money...

targa88

Explorer
Still no sign of the Iphone North of the Border.
When it arrives who knows what the price will be or what the "data" packages will cost....

Blair G

Adventurer
I have a 8g phone currently. I have really liked it, but I have had it less then a year and am not really excited about buying a new phone. I am not sold on the new 3g phone since ATT service sucks where I live. I am more interested in the release of the apps to make up for some of the short coming of the current iPhone has.

Blair

spressomon

Expedition Leader
xj_mike said:
I have the same feeling about service. I have been with Verizon for 16 years (back when it was Airtouch) and love the service. I got it originally since it was the only one I could get service out in desert and mountain.

I really like the iPhone but just can not bring myself over to ATT service. Had a loaner unit from work for a few weeks and the service was spotty at best. Heck, my wife works for ATT and we still won't go over.

Sure would be nice to see the iPhone opened up for other providers. Oh well, guess Apple won't get my money...

Ditto exactly! ATT just plain sucks here in Northern Nevada. I swore I'd never return to ATT for cellular service...and I won't even though I've been jones'n for an iPhone to go with our newish Mac.

All my buddies recently left ATT cellular here and moved over to Verizon and appreciate the better coverage and much better overall customer service.

I was told by a Verizon rep the reason they didn't partner with Apple/iPhone had to do with Apple's reluctance to allow Verizon to service iPhone/Verizon customers. Apple insisted they keep the service component. Which probably works fine in larger cities where they have Apple stores...but it surely would be a step down from the very good and convenient service most folks get from the Verizon stores in the US...

marc olivares

Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
... Too bad i drop my phone way to much to ever buy the iphone.

that's a really lame reason to deny yourself the nirvana that is the IPHONE.
i used to be a nae-sayer such as yourself, but i man'd up and got an iphone and a case cover from AGENT18.

i cant tell you how many times my iphone has hit the ground, and it keeps on working. go figure....:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior