The Official 2012 Overland Expo thread!!! Post your comments, questions, images...

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
I'll be there!

Making my first trip to OX this year and bringing my dog, Maggie. Looking forward to the drive and some cool exhibits and activities!

See you all there! Woo Hoo!!!!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I was able to secure the weekend off so Josh and I will be there! :wings:

Can't wait to see old and new friends again....LETS GLAMP! :coffeedrink:

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
I'll be there. First time for me, decided this would be a perfect college graduation present to myself! Definitely will be checking out all the vendors and won't be coming home without some new goodies.

STREGA

Explorer
This will be my 3rd Expo (missed last years) and its looking like it could be the best one yet.

Plan on taking 3 days to get down to Flag, spending 1 night each @ Hovenweep, Combs Ridge and Valley of the Gods. Hoping to get some good photo's. After the Expo will be headed up to the Arizona Strip for about a week with no real agenda other than relaxing, taking a lot of pic's and not being in a big hurry. :ylsmoke:

shogun

Adventurer
Definitely will be checking out all the vendors and won't be coming home without some new goodies.

Seen a few comments to this effect. Just a note; that doesnt happen at this event. For the most part, vendors do not do "show specials" and very little, if any, product to take home. They'll take orders and ship later, but very difficult to get deals and take home product.

I was told specifically that the show administrators didnt want "that kind of show". I've been to all the shows thus far. Hopefully its evolving.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Seen a few comments to this effect. Just a note; that doesnt happen at this event. For the most part, vendors do not do "show specials" and very little, if any, product to take home. They'll take orders and ship later, but very difficult to get deals and take home product.

I was told specifically that the show administrators didnt want "that kind of show". I've been to all the shows thus far. Hopefully its evolving.

I have personally spoken to several large name vendors that are bringing the "A" game to OVX with lots of stuff to sell.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

Really? Since when? I've attended the last 3 events and I've got some smoking-hot deals on gear. True - not all vendors bring their entire inventory and you can expect them to take your name and ship later, but there are some items to drag home.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor

Hi Shogun. I am the owner and administrator of the show. What you say is actually as far from reality as possible. We actively encourage all the exhibitors and vendors (we're up to 134 total right now) to sell things. And this year more are adding show specials.

For example, Oz Tent and Family Tent Camping will be offering special discounts of $50 and $100 discounts off several tent models and Foxwings at the show.

Equipt Expedition Outfitters, Overland Gourmet, Goal Zero, Expedition Apparel, Triple Aught Design—to name just a few—are busy stocking up on gear to sell.

Perhaps you came upon exhibitors who sold out; some don't or can't bring enough to meet demand.

At any rate OVERLAND EXPO EXHIBITORS SELL STUFF and cool stuff too!

So please everyone help to spread the word and dispel some myths!

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Really? Since when? I've attended the last 3 events and I've got some smoking-hot deals on gear. True - not all vendors bring their entire inventory and you can expect them to take your name and ship later, but there are some items to drag home.

Thanks TangoBlue, see you soon at the show!

And we expect more great stuff than ever, with 20% more exhibitors and a whole lot of new ones. This industry is growing, it's very exciting.

CPG7562

We'll be debuting a very promising pop-top sleeping system for the 80-Series Land Cruiser at this year's Expo, from Campteq in Colorado. Clamps to the rain gutters; access is either from inside through the front or rear sunroof, or from the outside. Very low highway profile.

View attachment 98170

That's awesome! I was just talking about something like this a couple days ago, like a dormobile for the 80. I can't wait to see it at the expo. I'm definitely interested for my 80.

See everyone there!

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
We cannot wait! We have the recipies picked out for the overland cooking daily demo. We too are thinking about the north rim! See you guys there.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
For all the folks that will be camping on National Forest Land, make sure you check this link and act accordingly with the new regs.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5263010

There are free maps at all the forest service offices...

And if you are planning on camping in the forest please be careful with campfires if there isn't a ban by then...the winds haven't been bad yet this spring but we have had some bad fires the last few years around Flag...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears