The old 1999 build thread

BOPOH

Explorer
100% agree, too bad i'm stuck with my FJ. Always worry about my rear 8" diff that can blow out anytime offroad, frame rusting to the point where i can loose my engine or get fender bulges. I like my FJ (J120) for what it is but there are so many things that i absolutely hate: cant open ANY rear doors nor windows from inside - pretty bad for a rollover emergency exit, 4wheel drive doesn't have center diff - can't drive it on pavement in fall, all suspension parts are so extremely thin that my finger is thicker - any good and constant offroad requires upgrades especially in rear suspension. I think, eventually i'll get another Montero too - simple, reliable and build like a tank

montero98ls

Observer
I've contemplated switching out my Monty for something else a few times before and have to agree too. When I looked at anything else I liked I found I would have to spend a good amount to get the drivetrain strength that the Monty has stock not to mention a regear. Its probably why other vehicles have so much aftermarket support compared to the Monty, they need it. I do wish there was options like HD tie rods and ball joints for us though. Not a big fan of torsion bars either but other than that. Its really solid.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I hope to make some nice full metal balljoints for monteros in the future, i bought Napa Gold balljoints and they lasted less than 40 miles. Granted i have huge tires but i have one remaining Mitsubishi balljoint that doesn't seem to car how big my tires are or the milage it has.

Toasty

They are $60 each retail OEM, not too bad but the aftermarket went bottom barrel on parts. It's not just a Montero thing, the entire industry seems to be slipping.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I'm running 35" tires on my '95 and have the cheapest Ebay upper arms that came with ball joints in them (4 years, I think) and Auto Zone lower ball joints that have been in for about the same amount of time and they're holding up. And I tend to drive fast on trails, not as much rock crawling as Toasty enjoys. Of course, the truck being semi-constantly out-of-order seems to add a lot of life to parts that don't wear out when the truck just sits.

I constantly have to replace idler arms and Pitman arms, though. Tie rod ends go about half the replacement rate, meaning they last about twice as long, but I really don't care about replacing them since I have lifetime warranty through Auto Zone on them so once a year or so isn't a big deal. I've got the replacement down pretty good by now and the work doesn't take too long. I can eyeball an alignment fairly well by now, too.

I get an uneasy feeling opening up a parts package bought at the dealer and it is the exact same thing as I can buy elsewhere for half the price. I mean, it has the exact same Mitsubishi part card inside, the same wrapper, the same finish, everything. And if I can get a lifetime replacement warranty on it, I'll try the half priced one first, because the dealer ain't giving you a thing. I don't buy the hype on some of this stuff. Now, the timing belt tensioner on the 3.5l DOHC? That I'll spend for...

John B.

montero98ls

Observer
I'd definitely be interested in hd ball joints and tie rods if you guys start selling those. Right now I got the "555" stuff through autozone and use the lifetime warranty as well. Looking into purchasing a lifetime alignment or picking up some bubble gauge and mount to do my own, but to contribute to the build thread. What kind of shocks you looking at now toasty?

Toasty

Bilstein 7100's hopefully, Three fives "555" is a pretty good Japanese brand but Autozona has just been rebooting whatever they an get cheap lately. Sometimes you're lucky and others not so much, as far as "reboxed" Mitsubishi parts that's debatable. Asian, NTN, Denso yes those are them but the Taiwanese and Chinese "Mitsu" parts not so much. I remember the transmission mount thing (another part i will be making) where we thought we were getting OEM parts in a Anchor box because they came with the Mitsubishi paper in the box and the part number cast into the rubber, yeah that lasted a few months of regular driving. I believe in Mitsubishi super rubber.

montero98ls

Observer
Oh nice. What don't you like about your set up now? But as for autozone they really have a mix of what's boxed. I have them call the store they are ordering from and ask them if the box says made in Japan or made in China and have had luck so far. Funny you mention transmission mounts. I went through one dea and now an anchor from rockauto...they don't last. My anchor motor mounts seem to be going out too even though I just replaced it about 5000miles ago. I'm just going to have to order the rubber for the motor mounts and the one transmission mount from the dealership.

Toasty

I don't like the Rancho Pro 9000's that are on the truck now, on the hardest setting and max psi they are waaaaaay to soft. I do however like them offroad , the reservoirs really help them not to fade on washboards and spirited driving. I'd rather have non adjustable shocks that are just better on their own, these might as well be non adjustable.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Toast, have you investigated with KYB for the appropriate length Gas-A-Just shocks with the proper ends for your application? I'm kind o' surprised you've left those behind.

I've not been particularly impressed with the KYB MonoMax shocks that are on Jorge's 99, although I will say that I made great time both up and back to Crown King last weekend in that truck (not the back way - off I-17 through Bumble Bee), albeit with the General Grabber A/T tires at around 17 lbs (31x12.5-15 on 8" wheels). The shocks just seem a little stiff for my liking in all around use.

John B.

Toasty

I quit KYB (Kill Your Back) and will never go back after running Bilstiens. I'm hooked, i like the riding on a cloud of tits feeling without the massive sway. KYB far too stiff and Rancho way too soft. There are reasonably priced Bilsteins i just want the ones with remote reservoirs.

Toasty

20161024_093611.jpg

20161024_093628.jpg

20161024_093704.jpg

Whipped up a simple bumper for Hammertime last week. Not as involved as my bumper build but it gets the job done and looks pretty slick.

Got my 1999 some polyurethane control arm bushings and new torsion bars! Can't wait to install!

no oil drips -that rocks!
nice neighborhood too.
get envy when i see someplace without mud....
we have two seasons here in the big muddy
muddy season and recovery from the muddy season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater