The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'll catalog all the part numbers in the write up for those of you at home following along. So the test run for this setup was just the old junkyard 315mm brakes and they were a huge improvement over the originals. I drove my truck with 37's then Kevin's with 35's and i still had far better stopping power than he did. We are putting the same brakes but the smaller slotted rotors on his and I'm installing 35's as well. Then we shall see if the extra rotor really makes a difference as we will have the same everything else

PacS14

Adventurer
Awesome info thanks and please do keep us updated! I will be deploying soon so the Monty will have to sit back and wait, but I will keep reading on this break upgrade and a couple more things I want to do.

Toasty

Toasty, you have few Monteros, but did you have any with rust? any way to deal with it?

A couple, sell it to someone with a different idea of what rust is and get one from the southwest with no rust. You can prevent rust but it's really hard to remove it, I've done some major rust repairs on other rigs and even though I understand the sentimental attachment to vehicles it's cheaper and easier to start over. I mean if the rust is minor like hardware and exhaust I would just start extracting and replacing the hardware in sets a little bit at a time until all hardware is replaced then cut out exhaust and replace. From there just keep up on rust prevention, I've had to replace frame sections on Monteros due to rust. I mean it's all doable but consider what your time is worth compared to a rust free truck, If your truck is mechanically perfect you can pick up a truck with a bad motor with no rust for a few hundred dollars. I think we should save the nice ones from being scrapped while they exist still because in 10 years you might find yourself thinking "I wish I had a rust free Montero" and one might not come as cheaply as they do now.

BOPOH

Explorer
Thanks! i'm leaning towards replacing my montero, i got rear body mount that rusted through the body and few other spots are pretty rusty too

Toasty

Oh, yeah that's a little bad. I had one with the wheel well rusted through, rust free to some people's standards. I prefer 0 rust

BOPOH

Explorer
something like this?

31292409203_ceda9ee6c1.jpg
32102738295_512fdd198e.jpg

Toasty

Back to my rust free machine... New parts!

Got my carbon pads installed with new brake caliper boots and my 4:1 transfer case came in the mail yesterday! Unfortunately Tom Woods is on vacation until the 10th so I have to wait on my rear driveshaft.

20170102_113430.jpg20170104_133952.jpg

Brakes installed and IFS nearly ready to support itself once again.
20170104_134408.jpg

Toasty

2 reasons, the 17's don't fit over the hub AND they are really shallow. They don't come in the offset I need, Lloyd runs them too with his steelie 17's. They hold up just fine as much as I hate them, on the plus side when the tire shop snaps off a wheel stud they are easier to replace.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I'll take some tomorrow, I do know what the Evo uses and it's not these ha ha ha. Close in size though, the Evo has slightly larger brakes but they are very hard to get. I can ask Phil what his measure out at but I might want to wait till spring, I just had him out in the snow measuring the CV's on the Evo. They are the same as the 94-96 SR 100mm and now you know.

Bahaha. I don't mind helping r&d buddy! Just a quick note about pajevo brakes - the calipers appear to be an exact match for gen3 front brakes. I haven't measured the rotors but I have a feeling they'll be the same too. I held up my gen3 caliper next to the pajevo and couldn't tell them apart (except the pajevo units were in better shape lol).

Toasty

New rubber! These are the new 35x12.5R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, pretty stoked to try them out. Went back to 35's now that the truck is built to handle 37's the 35's should be like nothing to it. Should be a very reliable setup with the 100mm CV's, polyurethane bushings, chromoly idler kingpin, ARB locker, 315mm brakes and new Aisin hubs. With the wheel spacers only the fronts are hubcentric now so I may machine something to make the rear hubcentric as well.

20170112_121142.jpg

Next up; alignment, NP241OR 4:1 transfer case, flat belly crossmember and all new ADD skid plates!

Toasty

Yeah, I still need to bleed the brakes again and take it for a proper test drive. I did the break in procedure as per Powerstop and I now have quite a bit more stopping power even with the 37's. Haven't driven it with the 35's yet but PA_JERO is doing the exact same setup but with the standard 276mm brakes, I'll be able to give it a try and find out how much the 315mm brakes help. We both have the same size tires, same shocks, polyurethane, carbon brakes, slotted rotors so the only differences will be negligible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman