The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

Summit Cruisers Jr

Great build! Definitely and inspirational 80 series.

Looks like lots of time and patience turn out great. 2 thumbs up!

Thanks you guys!

This is a great father and son connection with your 80 series build. I only hope that when my boys get older, that my boys share my enthusiasm and passion with the LC and the outdoors, as you have with your cruiser along with your own adventures. Really dig the color BTW. Awesome build!

Thanks! Yeah it has definitely been quite the adventure so far, and a great learning experience with my dad.

Summit Cruisers Jr

FJ Cruiser Steelies

I Bought 5 17x7.5" FJ Cruiser Steelies today! After looking at tons of different wheels and tire sizes, I definitely wanted 17s because I can get 34x11.5ish tires. I liked the Method Race Wheels and the Procomp La Paz's, but none of them fit with center caps so I decided to go with a more utilitarian look which will look ok without center caps on the front.. I'm going to end up painting them to match my current wheels. I though about doing something even more retro like the older FJ40/FJ60 steelie gray, but it doesn't seem stealthy enough to work with my truck.
image.jpg

This is what made me think about doing steelies.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Since I'm not in desperate need of tires, I have some time to shop around and hopefully find a good deal. I'm looking at either 285/75/17s or 305/70/17s to maintain that tall and skinny look. I'm mainly looking at the BFG KM2 or KO2 but can't decide if I want the extra little bit of width the 305s offer. Then again BFGs run kind of small so a 12" wide might actually be an 11.5" wide? Duratracks are pretty nice and cheaper though. Tough making a $1500 decision that's just going to wear down.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Duratracs (dura-craps?) are known for weak sidewalls. I'd also go 285/75-17s. It's a perfect size for an 80. KM2s look great and are descent on road too.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
That red HJ60 is one of my all time faves!

Those wheels will look great with your color scheme, I'd go w the 285s to keep the skinny look.

Keep up the good work!

Summit Cruisers Jr

Deciding on Tires

Duratracs (dura-craps?) are known for weak sidewalls. I'd also go 285/75-17s. It's a perfect size for an 80. KM2s look great and are descent on road too.

That red HJ60 is one of my all time faves!

Those wheels will look great with your color scheme, I'd go w the 285s to keep the skinny look.

Keep up the good work!

The more I think about it, I feel like I should go with the 305s if I go with the BFG KM2s as they are a lot smaller than advertised. My 33x10.5s are <32" in diameter and roughly 9" tread width. I've read on Jeep forums about 305s next to 35x12.5s and the diameter being pretty much the same but the width being more on the 35x12.5.

According to the tire size calculator on tacomaworld.com, the 285/75/17s are 33.83" x 11.22" and the 305/70/17s are 33.81" by 12.02". Keep in mind that they are going on relatively narrow wheels which should keep them from being super wide anyways. I would just hate spending upwards of $1500 for a tire that's 1/2" an inch more in diamter than my current tires. 35x10.5s would be ideal, but there is no way I would ever consider getting a swamper.

Found a picture of 305 Mtrs on an FJ Cruiser (Jim_D's on FJcruiserforums.com) and it looks like they would maintain the tall skinny look on an 80 as they are much bigger than the FJ Cruisers. Still doesn't even look particularly wide on an FJ.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Anyone have hands on experience with the 285/75/17 or 305/70/17 KM2S? Are they truly a lot smaller than the tire calculations say they should be?

Edit: Just saw on the forum that the new BFG KO2 is offered in a 34x10.5x17!!! Apparently it's 33.5" actual. That's probably what I'll be going with! These come out March 14th so I guess it's the waiting game to see how people like them.
http://www.bigotires.com/Tire-Detail/BFGOODRICH/ALL-TERRAIN-T-A-KO2/30997

Last edited:

tlin

Adventurer
First post over here at Expo and couldn't pick a better time to join. I've also got a built '92 (admittedly bought it lifted with ARB lockers, ARB bull and some other work already done) and loved reading your thread. The time and dedication invested to get you where you are today with your FJ is inspiring - WELL DONE!

If you're 'Summit Cruisers Jr.' then your dad must be Steve? I'm over at Mud (same avatar there - tlin) and he's chimed in on a few occasions with some sage idle-related advice - great guy.

Concerning the 4.88's, it's something I've been toying with in my head as well since freeway jaunts are a bit underwhelming with the 3FE (I can cruise at 70mph but passing power isn't exactly something I'd say is in my arsenal). Knowing what you know and having already gone with these gears, are you after any other performance mods?

Last, just a reminder but wider tires will continue to scavenge performance (higher rolling resistance) so some of those benefits you gained with the 4.88's will be lost if you do elect to keep going bigger/wider with the tires - something to ponder. Great pick with the steelies, I'd go that route as well if I was after wheels.

Great stuff here, LOVE YOUR RIDE!

--todd

tlin

Adventurer
It also looks like you pull an M101 around. How is that in the hills with the 4.88's and 3FE?

And the always important "if you could do it over again, what would you do different"? No, that's not an opportunity to say you'd start with a different rig, just curious what your 20/20 hindsight has left you thinking after such a great build.

Summit Cruisers Jr

First post over here at Expo and couldn't pick a better time to join. I've also got a built '92 (admittedly bought it lifted with ARB lockers, ARB bull and some other work already done) and loved reading your thread. The time and dedication invested to get you where you are today with your FJ is inspiring - WELL DONE!

If you're 'Summit Cruisers Jr.' then your dad must be Steve? I'm over at Mud (same avatar there - tlin) and he's chimed in on a few occasions with some sage idle-related advice - great guy.

Concerning the 4.88's, it's something I've been toying with in my head as well since freeway jaunts are a bit underwhelming with the 3FE (I can cruise at 70mph but passing power isn't exactly something I'd say is in my arsenal). Knowing what you know and having already gone with these gears, are you after any other performance mods?

Last, just a reminder but wider tires will continue to scavenge performance (higher rolling resistance) so some of those benefits you gained with the 4.88's will be lost if you do elect to keep going bigger/wider with the tires - something to ponder. Great pick with the steelies, I'd go that route as well if I was after wheels.

Great stuff here, LOVE YOUR RIDE!

--todd

It also looks like you pull an M101 around. How is that in the hills with the 4.88's and 3FE?

And the always important "if you could do it over again, what would you do different"? No, that's not an opportunity to say you'd start with a different rig, just curious what your 20/20 hindsight has left you thinking after such a great build.

Thanks! You are correct, Summit Cruisers aka Steve, is my dad. I haven't pulled the m416 trailer since installing the 4.88s so no feedback there. I actually enjoy driving it on the highway now. My speedometer isn't correct, and I thought about paying a company to do a new mechanical gear to recalibrate it, but decided it is cooler for the speedo to read out a lot faster than I am going. I haven't even driven it with the roof top tent since putting in the 4.88s, but I am putting it back on this weekend for an upcoming trip. I don't really think I would have done anything different really. I like a lot of things about the 91/92s vs the slightly newer ones. If anything, factory lockers would have been nice, but eventually I'll throw some in. After BFG started discontinuing the tire size I really wanted, I am looking now at 35x12.5s. Lug to lug is only 9.5 inches on a KM2 so it really isn't near as wide as they say. I definitely want something a little wider than 10.5 wide BFGs as the FJ Steelies have an extra 1/2" backspacing than my wheels. I believe that tire will put me in the perfect rpm range for highway driving at 70. A turbo is something I have thought a little bit about, just to run 5psi or so of boost and put me somewhere near the 1FZ's but I just don't know enough or have the time to figure out and build...and don't want to risk damaging the 3FE. I'm determined to drive the 3FE engine until it just dies. Might be awhile though....

Summit Cruisers Jr

FJ Cruiser/ 4Runner Alloys

image.jpg

Too good of a deal to pass up...bought 5 17" FJ Cruiser/4Runner rims today. Definitely need darker paint. Should I go with these or the steelies?

image.jpg

I also got my 60 watt 11" light bars that I had custom made in the other day. Might be awhile before I get these put in due to the cutting up of the valence, but here's a teaser of how it should look when completed.
image.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

View attachment 269922

Too good of a deal to pass up...bought 5 17" FJ Cruiser/4Runner rims today. Definitely need darker paint. Should I go with these or the steelies?

View attachment 269923

I also got my 60 watt 11" light bars that I had custom made in the other day. Might be awhile before I get these put in due to the cutting up of the valence, but here's a teaser of how it should look when completed.
View attachment 269931

With out a doubt....go...with...the....FJ Rims. The "steelies" look like you are either missing your hub caps or riding on four spare tires. Looks like total crap and will ruin the look of an otherwise classy truck IMHO.

thetoyotaman

Do I understand correctly that both of those rims will fit without a spacer and if so will the center caps work? Also, how does the backspaces of the FJ rims compare to the stocker? Thanks and nice build!

Summit Cruisers Jr

Do I understand correctly that both of those rims will fit without a spacer and if so will the center caps work? Also, how does the backspaces of the FJ rims compare to the stocker? Thanks and nice build!

Thanks! The 17" FJ Cruiser alloys I pictured fit without spacers and with the center caps! My factory wheels were 15x7 with 4.5" back spacing I believe. These are 17x7.5 with I believe an extra half inch of back spacing. The 17" FJ steel wheels I had have the same specs as the alloys, but the center caps do not fit over the full floating hubs. I ended up finding a buyer within hours of listing the steel wheels on Craigslist. I can't paint them until the weather warms up, but I might start doing the center caps. I want to get rid of the tacky sombrero emblem and either do a TEQ, TRD, or super old Toyota "T" badge. I'm thinking I will do the center caps in flat black, wheels in dark grey, and chrome lug nuts. Just like how my wheels are now.

Summit Cruisers Jr

35s Mounted and Wheels Painted

image.jpg
image.jpg
Ordered my 35s yesterday. Decided to go with 35x12.5r17 Kenda Klever MTs with the black letters out. They showed up today and I had them mounted. The center caps fit, but barely catch on the hubs, so we ground down these plastic fins on the inside of them.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Should have them painted by tomorrow afternoon. Now I'm just stuck waiting for the flat washer style lug nuts and lock nuts to show up before I can mount. Huge bummer.

Painted! They look darker in person. My phone makes them appear brighter.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior