The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

Summit Cruisers Jr

Air Lift Install

After ordering my 35s, I started looking for something to help with the sag in the rear suspension when I'm loaded with the RTT, all of the camping gear and supplies, and bikes. I came across the Air Lift 1000.
Part Number 60755
image.jpg

Pretty easy to install. Unbolt the bottom of the rear shocks, pull the springs, deflate the bags, put the bags in the springs, take out bump stops inside spring area, enlarge hole in bottom of spring seat, then run air lines.
image.jpg
Enlarged hole
image.jpg
Grommets used everywhere the line passed through.
image.jpg
Used a piece of rubber hose to make a buffer around the air line underneath the air bag where it goes through the enlarged hole.
image.jpg
I wanted the air lines hidden and secure.
image.jpg
All done. The red annoys me, but the serve a purpose so I guess I can live with them.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

New Wheels and Tires!

Love the rims man!

Thanks!
As soon as the air bags were in, I pulled the truck out of the garage and started taking off the wheels.
image.jpg
Here is a pic of my 35x12.5r17 on a 7.5" wide rim vs a 35x12.5r17 that had been on a 10" rim. These tires on these wheels with the extra half inch of backspacing keep that tall and skinny look. The old rims and KM2s were 70 pounds a piece. The 35s on the new rims are 95 pounds each.
image.jpg
34 3/8" tall
image.jpg
Hard to see on the camera, but they are right around 11" wide.
image.jpg
Tread depth!
image.jpg
They ride smoother than my old tires and are pretty quiet. I only have several pictures. I will take more tomorrow when the sun is out. The center caps fit over the full floating hubs without a problem!
image.jpg
image.jpg
They don't even stick out past the flares. Mine are 91-92 flares which are even more narrow than the 93-97 flares FYI.
image.jpg

Now I just need to get another tire mounted on the spare wheel. Then when I'm home over spring break I need to build one or two swingouts into the factory rear bumper.

Last edited:

Townsend

Observer
Looking great! Off topic, but could you give me info on your old rims? I know they're older Toyota rims, but did you have them painted? Any chance you're selling them? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit Cruisers Jr

Looking great! Off topic, but could you give me info on your old rims? I know they're older Toyota rims, but did you have them painted? Any chance you're selling them? Thanks!

Thanks! The old wheels are 15x7 with 4.5" backspacing. 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. I painted them several years ago with VHT Graphite gray (same color as new wheels). I am looking at selling all 5 once I have the tires dismounted (already have a buyer for tires).

Townsend

Observer
Thanks! The old wheels are 15x7 with 4.5" backspacing. 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. I painted them several years ago with VHT Graphite gray (same color as new wheels). I am looking at selling all 5 once I have the tires dismounted (already have a buyer for tires).

Please let me know when you're ready to sell. How did you paint them? Sorry if that's an ignorant question I've just never done wheels.

Summit Cruisers Jr

More Pics of New Wheels and Tires

Please let me know when you're ready to sell. How did you paint them? Sorry if that's an ignorant question I've just never done wheels.

I will let you know. I'm not sure about shipping them though. I originally stripped them down to bare metal with aircraft paint remover, used a self etching primer, followed by the VHT graphite gray, and then a clear coat. When my BFG KM2s were put on, the paint got chipped up and I repainted them.

More pics of the new wheel and tire set up!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

tlin

Adventurer
I've decided not to compliment your rig right now.....I'm actually pretty annoyed seeing yours. It's got me realizing I need to get off my ******** and get busy with numerous projects for my '92 (which, yes, is actually a compliment)....and I was so comfy on the couch :)

A few Q's, I'm sure I'll have more as time goes by.....

1. Your stock rear bumper, what did you spray it with? Did you spray the plastic wings as well as the metal middle piece?
  2. Did you spray your fender flares with the same material as you did the rear bumper? Are these holding up?
  3. Did you ever replace your cats?
  4. Do you have anymore baselining/PM work on the engine or drivetrain planned? I've personally got to get valves adjusted, injectors cleaned/balanced, new fuel filters (in-line and in-tank), FPR and FPD....amongst others to get to. Curious if you've done these recently and whether you noticed any "seat of the pants" gains with any of them.

Please also weigh in as to how your 35's do with the 4.88's - curious if you notice any difference/degradation during freeway cruising and hills.

O yeah, please post a pic with some bikes loaded!!

Well done SC Jr., that darn rig of yours is spot on.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I've decided not to compliment your rig right now.....I'm actually pretty annoyed seeing yours. It's got me realizing I need to get off my ******** and get busy with numerous projects for my '92 (which, yes, is actually a compliment)....and I was so comfy on the couch :)

A few Q's, I'm sure I'll have more as time goes by.....

1. Your stock rear bumper, what did you spray it with? Did you spray the plastic wings as well as the metal middle piece?
  2. Did you spray your fender flares with the same material as you did the rear bumper? Are these holding up?
  3. Did you ever replace your cats?
  4. Do you have anymore baselining/PM work on the engine or drivetrain planned? I've personally got to get valves adjusted, injectors cleaned/balanced, new fuel filters (in-line and in-tank), FPR and FPD....amongst others to get to. Curious if you've done these recently and whether you noticed any "seat of the pants" gains with any of them.

Please also weigh in as to how your 35's do with the 4.88's - curious if you notice any difference/degradation during freeway cruising and hills.

O yeah, please post a pic with some bikes loaded!!

Well done SC Jr., that darn rig of yours is spot on.

Thanks! I feel like I'm approaching the finish line with this build! Errr probably not actually. 
1. Stock rear bumper wings are sprayed with Rustoleum Bedliner. The spray cans are terrible. I bought the gallons and shot it out of a hopper gun. The finish is much smoother and dirt wipes off. The cans leave it sharp and it's hard to wipe a towel across to clean it. The metal piece in the middle of the bumper, as well as the trim on the bumper wings were painted with the VHT Graphite gray. Same as my wheels, sliders, grille, and headlight trim.
2.Yes. The flares are the same material. I ended up re-spraying all of the bedliner last fall. I had spilled some gas on one flare and it slightly dulled it. The sun had also damaged it a little bit. Just wasn't shining like new. That was after 3 or so years with them being done.
3. Yes, I changed my cat and my muffler just prior to building the sliders. They had to tuck up nicely so the sliders could be built as high as possible. I forgot to post that up in the build thread. I'll probably do that tomorrow.
4. It's pretty much been baselined since my parents bought it back in the early 2000's. After my trips to Colorado, I usually change my fuel filter and fuel strainer. Something about that ethanol gas just clogs it. Valves were probably last adjusted around 340k. I put new spark plugs and wires in right around Christmas. It's just always been kept well maintained so replacing something never really boosts performance. It just restored it to how it was.

35s and 4.88s
It did slow it down. It is still better than it was with the 33s and roof top tent on. Definitely not as fast as the 4.88s and 33s. I have had to downshift for hills. Braking is not as good intially. Takes a little more pedal to stop it.

This is really the only photo I have with bikes loaded up on my phone. I'll update tomorrow with a pic from my computer when I had 4 bikes hanging on the relatively new Northshore rack.
image.jpg

Edit: Couldn't find pics with 4 bikes on but here is a cool one at the Great National Sand Dunes in Colorado.
IMG_0421.jpg

Last edited:

Madsbell

Crazy cool build brother! Love the FJ wheels! I didnt see any mention of wheel spacers? You running any and if so what size? Cheers and keep up the good work

Summit Cruisers Jr

Off Roading and Swing Out Parts

Crazy cool build brother! Love the FJ wheels! I didnt see any mention of wheel spacers? You running any and if so what size? Cheers and keep up the good work

Thanks! And no, I'm not running any wheel spacers.

Update on tires!
I haven't had any negative experiences. They are smooth on the highway, nice looking, and dig well in sand, mud, and snow. Not great on icy roads, but what 7000 pound+ truck with mud tires and without abs is good on ice...

image.jpg
image.jpg

On a side note, parts are starting to show up for my tire swingout.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

Car Shows and Camping Trips

Finally hit 360,000 exact! Onto 375,000!

image.jpg
Got a little bit done on the swing out arm last weekend. I did make it out to last weekend's Coffee and Cars. Popped the RTT and met some cruiser people along with a guy from Venezuela that has a 2005 80 series. Pretty cool to hear about the 80 series Burjuja and Autana Land Cruisers.

image.jpg

Haven't accomplished much on the swing outs. I planned to work all weekend after I got back from Coffee and Cars, but I got sick. Anyways, it's now all loaded up for camping and mountain biking in the Ozarks.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior